Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU fails for the second time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
WTF!!!!

Isn't this wrong? I didn't buy a RE-MANUFACTURED car - I bought a NEW car in which a NEW MCU failed and it should be expected to be replaced with another NEW not refurb $hit.. NO? Am I wrong?

Nope, it is standard practice to replace failed parts with re-manufactured parts on warranty claims. Not just for cars, but for phones, etc. (I think the warranty normally explicitly spells out that remanufactured parts can/will be used.)

Yep, from the Tesla Warranty:
The exclusive remedy available to you under this New Vehicle Limited Warranty is the repair or replacement of new or re-manufactured parts by Tesla for the covered defects. Subject to the exclusions and limitations described in this New Vehicle Limited Warranty, such repair or parts replacement will be performed without cost to you by Tesla when Tesla is notified of the covered defect within the applicable warranty period. Repairs will be performed using new or remanufactured parts at the sole discretion of Tesla. All replaced parts or other components are the exclusive property of Tesla unless otherwise provided under applicable law.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Akikiki and ABC2D
WTF!!!!

Isn't this wrong? I didn't buy a RE-MANUFACTURED car - I bought a NEW car in which a NEW MCU failed and it should be expected to be replaced with another NEW not refurb $hit.. NO? Am I wrong?

Super normal. However if it goes bad again for the same reason, I think you'll have a leg to stand on for another freebie (even out of warranty). Almost all of us have REMFG drive unit replacements, MCUs, etc; The field is incapable of "repairing" them, so they ship them back and forth... which causes a REMFG designation (is my hunch)

I seriously doubt it, technically the part didn't change, just a component of the part. So, unless the LCD has it's own separate part as part of the master, I don't see why it would change.
Ya the screen itself has its own part number - check out Krazaak's post here I think he got his display replaced.

So the entire MCU (including the screen) has one part number, but some of the main building blocks of it also have their own sub- part numbers

Don’t believe I recall seeing a remanufactured MCU before. Do they replace the flash memory during the reman process?

That was my main concern. A SC manager told me that those are "basically a brand new units in used frames", whatever that mean. Tesla offered me 1 extra year of warranty on the REMAN unit, but I insisted on a brand new unit. Got a call today that a brand new MCU is ordered, we'll see if they follow through.

Ya the screen itself has its own part number - check out Krazaak's post here I think he got his display replaced.

So the entire MCU (including the screen) has one part number, but some of the main building blocks of it also have their own sub- part numbers

Yes, but they aren't changing the entire MCU part number when they replace the screen =), at least not on my invoice. It's only the sub part number.

On my 2013 CPO, the MCU was replaced on 12/2/2017 for LTE Connectivity issues. When it was installed the Nav didn't work as it thought the car was in California and not Atlanta. The tech was able to resolve the unit and it worked fine until week.

Last week the Navigation wouldn't work so I took it in. MCU was replaced under warranty, here's the part #

SERVICE MCU KIT - NORTH AMERICA 1 (1458829-00-A)

Looks like a new MCU.