Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU fails for the second time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It could be 'OK' for both 2.0 and 2.5. Didn't you get a service invoice with a comment/description of the part? If not - please ask your SC what this is and report back!
Here is the invoice line for MCU:

upload_2018-2-21_13-46-19.png

Still waiting for SC to call me back

@MasterT this is a new part. Can you comment on the performance of the MCU? Same lag as always or does it seem snappier?
Hard to say, I only drove my car once for a short trip after the replacement.

• Helpful
Reactions: lunitiks
@MasterT

Please go spend some time with the MCU and load different functions, play with the browser (though I suspect the browser will still sick), load maps, etc and see if the lag is any better.

I have a small hope that the 2018 revision of the MCU is no longer the old 2012 Tegra based chipset and is hopefully a new and faster processor (though, I doubt it's Intel based as the model 3's infotainment system is).

Reactions: ABC2D
my MCU failed last week. service center said the part was backordered; just got an update that a new one is now in stock and they expect to install it tomorrow.

will update with any other details i find.

but i should say, it is concerning to have it fail after just 3 years of ownership.

Reactions: Tech_Guy
my MCU failed last week. service center said the part was backordered; just got an update that a new one is now in stock and they expect to install it tomorrow.

will update with any other details i find.

but i should say, it is concerning to have it fail after just 3 years of ownership.
Tesla redesigned the thermal cooling of the MCU when they did the 2016.6 face-lift/refresh.

I think there haven't been any, or maybe 1, report of any post 2016.6 MCU failures other than the lcd yellowing that was a bad batch recall/replacement.

• Informative
Reactions: P85Dave
So we have a December 2012 that has developed bubbles in the center display and is awaiting parts for warranty replacement. Questions:

Will we get a new display AND MCU since it is an early style?

Will this be the 2016+ style that doesn't fail much or a new old style one?

Should we be worried about it breaking again after repair?

Thanks for the feedback.

I have a yellow border on my MCU. I've been holding off on telling Tesla Service in hopes for an updated processor on the MCU. Do you think I'll get one?

Maybe I should wait longer... It seems I will only get the screen replaced?

Last edited:
Not really, from the photos of the CID that I have seen, the flash appears soldered on to the logic board. If that is what failed, even if you replaced it, you would likely be SOL, as you wouldn't have the raw firmware/bootloader on them to actually boot your system (unless you took the replacement chips from known good board and installed them on the same pads they came from).

Hard to say what actually failed on yours without doing some diagnostics though. Could be as "simple" as some blown caps, mosfets, inductors, fuses, etc. those are common "dumb" components that you could find equivalent parts for and swap out to get up and running again (in theory anyways).

Glad you're getting a yours back; I'd love to poke around with one/see if I couldn't get it working again and learn some of the inner workings at the same time (without having to take my car apart!)

If you take yours apart, I'd start by looking for anything that looks obviously failed. Start with the 12V input stage/power supply circuit and go from there, looking for anything that looks corroded, charred/burnt, shorted, bulging, leaking, etc.

If you see a fuse (likely soldered to the board if there is one), check continuity across it to see if it is blown.

TBH, I almost doubt it was your flash that failed. Tesla engineers are smart; they know the max write cycles of their parts and how to do proper wear leveling if needed. I very much doubt they would be stupid enough to exceed them on a car with less than 500k miles. Much more likely the power supply failed (the fact that you have gone through 2 CIDs does point at perhaps a larger systemic issue with your vehicle that could causing the early failure... would be very interesting to know the root cause of failure in both cases, though I suspect we never will).

Except that Tesla reduced the amount of logging because the of too much writes

Hey folks. I'm late to this post, but here's my info, in case it helps anyone else out.

Back in October I had bubbling so Tesla replaced the MCU. I asked them to price an upgrade to LTE and they ended up doing it for free. The description on the invoice (covered by warranty) is

MCU NA,PREM AUD,LTE,GPS,MAPS,OGS
(1004777-41-M)

My car is a 2013 P-85 (no AP).

Had my MCU replaced a month ago when it died — car was driveable but would only charge at about 280W net to battery, so too slowly to be practical. The usual rebooting didn't work, nor did pulling the main fuse under the phone guidance of the Ranger.

There was a bit of delay in getting the new screen in and I was told by Service that there was a hold on the part for validation of the lot, or some such thing. The new MCU installation was finally done on Feb 1st, I believe.

Car is an S60, May 2014 build.

Code:
Concern: Customer states the center screen is completely blank and will not turn back on.

Corrections: Media Control Unit (Touchscreen)

Replaced media control unit. Updated maps and firmware, verified operation of new
media control unit.

Parts Replaced or Added

Part                             Quantity
CBL,COAXIAL.50.OHM,100mm.U.FL        3
(1010854-00-A)

SERVICE MCU KIT - NORTH AMERICA      1
(1452455-00-B)

Pay Type: Warranty

The new screen is LTE, versus the old 3G one, and I can now do voice commands (voice commands never worked at all when I had the old screen, although I don't know if they were supposed to or not). Screen operation has been flawless, so far as I have noticed.

Last edited: