Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU Flash Memory Wear?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sounds like they may be running out of MCU1 replacements. Wonder what happens now.

Hmm, I'd better drive my MS a bit more then to make 80k miles prior to the warranty expiring! I want MCU2! :D

Except they are giving everyone MCU1 again.... with the same flash issue... At least with your low km's per year you'll probably only need to replace once, but you'll be out of warranty so $$$

An interesting read: UPDATE: Tesla Cars Have A Memory Problem That May Cost You A Lot To Repair

Has anyone experienced this? My car's a late-2017 MY (Feb-2018 delivery) P100D Model S though I've only driven it 22,000km or so, and thus I don't expect it to happen any time soon. That said, the article does claim that late-2017/early-2018 MY cars could be more prone to this (and it's MCU1, no less).

If true, it's a bit crappy that a mere eMMC chip can render the whole MCU useless, but that said I wouldn't mind getting a MCU1->MCU2 upgrade out of it this. Perversely, I might actually want the flash to wear out while the car's still under warranty...

This is an issue with older units (MCU 1).

Note: This issue isn't remotely specific to Tesla. Its a real problem on any long-life consumer device, such as Smart TVs.

Can Tesla do a software update that dramatically reduces the load on that eMMC in older cars? If so, they ought to jump on that to prevent a recall.

They can and Elon said they are going to. However, flash wear doesn't "heal",

Note: Choice of parts is very important and its possible the Tesla MCU1 with problems had flash chips with poor wear resistance.

Reactions: MichaelP90DL
Can Tesla do a software update that dramatically reduces the load on that eMMC in older cars? If so, they ought to jump on that to prevent a recall.
I feel like they should be proactive about it. Build / remanufacture the daughter cards with a better chip. Stock a handful at each service center. Monitor for the problems and call people in.

Save them $$ on towing. Save them complaints. Save them from having to refund even more $2500 service invoices.

the boards are lite, easy to ship/store.

From the invoice it looks like less than a hour service. The board cannot really cost that much.

let’s really see this proactive thing they say is possible. As of now I only see for 12v battery.

I feel like they should be proactive about it. Build / remanufacture the daughter cards with a better chip. Stock a handful at each service center. Monitor for the problems and call people in.

Save them $$ on towing. Save them complaints. Save them from having to refund even more $2500 service invoices.

the boards are lite, easy to ship/store.

From the invoice it looks like less than a hour service. The board cannot really cost that much.

let’s really see this proactive thing they say is possible. As of now I only see for 12v battery.
I love that idea. Send it to Tesla.

• Helpful
Reactions: Hovean
This is an issue with older units (MCU 1).

Note: This issue isn't remotely specific to Tesla. Its a real problem on any long-life consumer device, such as Smart TVs.

Yes, which my car (late-2017/Feb-2018 delivery) has, as I'm sure many others do.

I'm not implying this is some Tesla-specific issue. I'm quite familiar with flash memory wear profiles. The issue is the excessive logging in /var/ that needs to be remediated (if not done already). It's probably an honest mistake - I've administered virtual servers that amass 60GB+ of logs in just a few weeks due to lax logging protocols. Rookie days.

But as mentioned above, I'm in an interesting position where I wouldn't mind the current MCU's eMMC wearing out (while under warranty) so I can get an upgrade to MCU2, heh.

Yes, which my car (late-2017/Feb-2018 delivery) has, as I'm sure many others do.

I'm not implying this is some Tesla-specific issue. I'm quite familiar with flash memory wear profiles. The issue is the excessive logging in /var/ that needs to be remediated (if not done already). It's probably an honest mistake - I've administered virtual servers that amass 60GB+ of logs in just a few weeks due to lax logging protocols. Rookie days.

But as mentioned above, I'm in an interesting position where I wouldn't mind the current MCU's eMMC wearing out (while under warranty) so I can get an upgrade to MCU2, heh.

I wouldn't get my hopes up for a MSU2 unit, mine gave up the ghost a few months back only (total black screen), was replaced under warranty but only with a MCU1 unit.....

• Informative
Reactions: mike_j
I wouldn't get my hopes up for a MSU2 unit, mine gave up the ghost a few months back only (total black screen), was replaced under warranty but only with a MCU1 unit.....

I feel that this may happen to me too...so I'm perversely hoping my MCU konks out just a month or two away from warranty expiry (which would be 2022 ish) - the logic being by then, there shouldn't be any new MCU1 units hanging around :D

• Funny
An interesting read: UPDATE: Tesla Cars Have A Memory Problem That May Cost You A Lot To Repair

Has anyone experienced this? My car's a late-2017 MY (Feb-2018 delivery) P100D Model S though I've only driven it 22,000km or so, and thus I don't expect it to happen any time soon. That said, the article does claim that late-2017/early-2018 MY cars could be more prone to this (and it's MCU1, no less).

If true, it's a bit crappy that a mere eMMC chip can render the whole MCU useless, but that said I wouldn't mind getting a MCU1->MCU2 upgrade out of it this. Perversely, I might actually want the flash to wear out while the car's still under warranty...
If your MCU1 fails under warranty they give you a brand spanking new MCU1.
Sorry!

Also there are persistent rumours that Tesla will start allowing paid MCU upgrades. That might be an option if it's really important to you. I would consider it myself.

I've asked Tesla staff while the car's been in for service and they were pretty mum on the topic. But yeah, have heard those rumours for awhile. I'd do it assuming the cost isn't exorbitant.