Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU1 S Owners: Logic FOR/AGAINST Tesla's $2,500 "Infotainment Upgrade"? (Not required for FSD)

MCU1 Owners - Will you opt for the $2,500 Infotainment Upgrade?

• I DO have the FSD package but will NOT opt for the Infotainment Upgrade.

• I DO have the FSD package and WILL opt for the Infotainment Upgrade.

• I do NOT have the FSD package and will NOT opt for the Infotainment Upgrade.

• I do NOT have, nor am planning to buy, the FSD package but I WILL opt for the Infotainment Upgrade.

• I do NOT have the FSD package and WILL opt for BOTH the Infotainment Upgrade and the FSD Upgrade.

• I prefer to KEEP my MCU1, even if it means replacing it with another MCU1.

• I DO have FSD BUT would only opt for the Infotainment Upgrade if my existing MCU1 broke.

• I do NOT have FSD BUT would only opt for the Infotainment Upgrade if my existing MCU1 broke.

• I own a S/X with MCU1 but NONE of these are applicable to me...I just want to see the results.

• I don't own a S/X with MCU1 so NONE of these are applicable to me...I just want to see the results.

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They call those remanufactured MCU/1 as replacement for dying MCU/1.
Refurbishing MCU1's and stocking them costs money, even more so if they fail again under replacement part warranty (refurb could be on their last legs already as they don't have to change emmc if it's not yet dead, but even if it isn't, chances are that it will fail within 4 years). It is cheaper to use a recent part (MCU2) already stocked for new cars anyways.

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18
Refurbishing MCU1's and stocking them costs money, even more so if they fail again under replacement part warranty (refurb could be on their last legs already as they don't have to change emmc if it's not yet dead, but even if it isn't, chances are that it will fail within 4 years). It is cheaper to use a recent part (MCU2) already stocked for new cars anyways.

You are somewhat right, however do keep in mind that they will get a HUGE influx of MCU/1 when owners like myself do the $2500 retrofit to MCU2. I suspect that those MCU1 will become the replacement or refurbish ones.

I highly doubt they will be giving away MCU2 while they are charging $2500 for it. That just doesn’t make sense...

Reactions: MP3Mike
You are somewhat right, however do keep in mind that they will get a HUGE influx of MCU/1 when owners like myself do the $2500 retrofit to MCU2. I suspect that those MCU1 will become the replacement or refurbish ones.

I highly doubt they will be giving away MCU2 while they are charging $2500 for it. That just doesn’t make sense...

Do Tesla get to keep the MCU1 if you pay to upgrade to MCU2? Dont you know the MCU1?

They won't be giving away MCU2's. The cost to produce the MCU2 is likely less than refurbishing, stocking, and warrantying refurbished MCU1's. Remember that they have a MCU2 retrofit of just a new "logic board" to replace the Nvidia module.

The cost to produce the MCU2 is likely less than refurbishing, stocking, and warrantying refurbished MCU1's.

Very unlikely.

Remember that they have a MCU2 retrofit of just a new "logic board" to replace the Nvidia module.

What are you talking about? I'm pretty sure the MCU2 upgrade is an entire MCU replacement, screen and all. Not just a NVidia daughtercard replacement. (Which is why the analog tuner won't work with the MCU2 upgrade.)

However they could just stock refurbished MCU1 NVidia daughtercards to repair failed MCU1s. That would be way cheaper than an MCU2 replacements.

What are you talking about? I'm pretty sure the MCU2 upgrade is an entire MCU replacement, screen and all. Not just a NVidia daughtercard replacement. (Which is why the analog tuner won't work with the MCU2 upgrade.)

Nevermind, I misunderstood the announcement details that people who paid for FSD do not get MCU2 upgrade for free, but they do get a "logic board" to replace the "nvidia board" - in this case they meant the AP computer.

Even so, I still think refurbishing, stocking, and warrantying refurbished MCU1's (probably need 1.5 of them for each replacement, if half of the refurbs die again within 4 years) is more expensive. Unless of course they will go down the "only one place per continent does refurbs, but they are overwhelmed, so if you need one, get in line to get one, or pay for MCU2 upgrade" approach.

yes, sorry! I meant the FSD won’t work in my AP1/HW1 despite upgrading to MCU2, correct? Same autopilot. I’m guessing how much could it really improve with the same old AP1 camera hardware.

AP1 will most likely not improve any more from here on out.
Some of the laggyness is the failing of the eMMC chip. And one hacker recently said he found another hardware "fault" that can compromise performance 10-40%. So I don't think you can 100% blame the software for the performance. (Some people report that once they replaced their eMMC that the performance was significantly better even on V10.)

I have MCU1 in my 2017 and I really don’t find it “that” laggy. For normal functionality and tab switching (other than browser), there might be a half second delay but not, “OMG this is so slow!”. The browser does work but that is too slow to make it worthwhile. I’ve always felt that way with V8 too. I purchased the car with V8 and now have the latest version installed. So I do think the lag people experience could be related to what you stated.

You have so many inaccurate statements in here... It's just not worth time to explain why.

I think a Tesla is NOT the vehicle for you... and that's OK. There are plenty of other vehicles that may meet your needs. I'm sure you'll find that fits your needs.
Ahh yes, the old fanboy "You do not deserve a Tesla because you disagree with something that Tesla does" comment.

Look, Tesla is a great car. I own two of them. I will not be paying the $2500 for this 'upgrade' because I wish to keep FM radio. I use FM radio. So for me, this is not a good solution.

Barry I'd luv that. Which ones will work with century mode?
Sorry, but I don't know what century mode is. I have a Blackvue that's almost 5 years old and never had a problem with it.

How many $100+K cars (what S/X and used to cost when FSD purchased) don't support any radio? (and many of those also have screen mirroring...).
Or a sunroof, or real leather, or a choice of interior colors besides black or white, or a way to contact service via telephone...

Elon really is a genius. The MCU1’s essentially self destruct due to poor programming with excessive read-write cycles conveniently just about when the warranty expires and rather than recognizing their fault, the customer has “the opportunity” to pay $2500 the fix the problem? I’m sure I’m not the only one who couldn’t care less about the video games but just wants a functioning, reliable mcu/ entertainment system we were told we had purchased. Love the car but this kind of stuff really makes me think twice before replacing my 2016 S with another Tesla.

Our 2017 S is a 3 year old vehicle. We have three options for upgrading to full MCU/FSD functionality:
  1. Spend $2500 to upgrade to MCU2, but lose radio support (which we use for live sports broadcasts)
  2. Spend $30000 to trade-in for a new S/X, adding 50 miles more range, faster acceleration, wireless phone charging, ...
  3. Spend ? to trade-in for a Cybertruck in 2021 or 2022
As of now, we're probably going with option 3.

However, we'd consider option 1 if Tesla provided:
  • Option to have MCU2 with FM/XM,
  • Adding TuneIn Premium or SiriusXM built-in streaming apps, or
  • Adding screen mirroring so we could control the smartphone streaming apps from the console display

Reactions: croman and f205v
Thank you all who replied and responded to the poll.

Agreed.

However, I am not planning on giving my old MCU1 when it is replaced. Suggest other users do the same as all MCU1s have a drop-dead date meaning there will be a market for those who need an MCU but do not want to pay $2.5k for MCU2...or just refuse to realize MCU2 killed the A/F/XM radio star.

Either way I suggest owners remember they own their MCU1 and when they buy - not SWAP - their new MCU2, to request their MCU1 back. After all, it's theirs not TSLA's, and fair is fair.

As far as the "fairness" of TSLA charging $2.5k, my take is they are offering additional features that were not promised or implied when I purchased the car and required a hardware upgrade to support, specifically dashcam and sentry. That's worth something for me and I suspect it's worth something for other owners too.

I do think TSLA is aware of a potential class-action with the emmc defect and by offering the Infotainment Upgrade, they solve many problems in a way where most walk away with something more.

1. They replace the old MCUs (would have to be done anyway),
2. They put in a superior product (I'd be pissed if I had to replace a blown emmc chip with another MCU1),
3. New hard and soft consumer features enabled (dashcam, games, etc.)
4. New TSLA background features enabled (more data can be harvested and sent back to TSLA for FSD development vs. what was possible with MCU1)
5. Created the market for upgraded MCU1 customers to resell their old MCU1s to other S/X radio enthusiast​

I would only add the following: I do think TSLA should offer one free goodwill MCU1 > MCU1 swap (and if they can just swap the electronic components and not the entire unit that's fine) for any owner whos emmc dies. An inadequate emmc is a TSLA problem, and TSLA needs to make it right. Offering customers an upgrade path is fine - and something I plan on opting for - but they need to do something for those who prefer to keep what they've got.

Our 2017 S is a 3 year old vehicle. We have three options for upgrading to full MCU/FSD functionality:

1. Spend $2500 to upgrade to MCU2, but lose radio support (which we use for live sports broadcasts)
  2. Spend $30000 to trade-in for a new S/X, adding 50 miles more range, faster acceleration, wireless phone charging, ...

• Adding screen mirroring so we could control the smartphone streaming apps from the console display

@bob_p - assuming a streaming solution for F/XM is not acceptable?

My suggestion then would be to wait. Don't really see any hard downside. If you've got FSD, you'll still get FSD sans "enhanced" visualizations, and you retain direct F/XM on the MCU. If a dashcam is a must, you can opt for a 3rd party solution.

In the interim between now and 2021/2022 TSLA may drop the price of the upgrade, may enable F/XM, or some other unknown factor may arise to change your logic - and if so - you can then make a real-time call.

If your MCU1 dies before then you can then assess if you want to buy a new MCU1 from Tesla, used one from someone who opted for the upgrade and now has no use for their old MCU1, or use a 3rd party to replace the emmc chip.

Of course, if your MCU1 holds out you will have saved $2.5k to apply to the purchase of your new car.

Last edited:
Thank you all who replied and responded to the poll.

Agreed.

However, I am not planning on giving my old MCU1 when it is replaced. Suggest other users do the same as all MCU1s have a drop-dead date meaning there will be a market for those who need an MCU but do not want to pay $2.5k for MCU2...or just refuse to realize MCU2 killed the A/F/XM radio star.

Either way I suggest owners remember they own their MCU1 and when they buy - not SWAP - their new MCU2, to request their MCU1 back. After all, it's theirs not TSLA's, and fair is fair.

As far as the "fairness" of TSLA charging $2.5k, my take is they are offering additional features that were not promised or implied when I purchased the car and required a hardware upgrade to support, specifically dashcam and sentry. That's worth something for me and I suspect it's worth something for other owners too.

I do think TSLA is aware of a potential class-action with the emmc defect and by offering the Infotainment Upgrade, they solve many problems in a way where most walk away with something more.

1. They replace the old MCUs (would have to be done anyway),
2. They put in a superior product (I'd be pissed if I had to replace a blown emmc chip with another MCU1),
3. New hard and soft consumer features enabled (dashcam, games, etc.)
4. New TSLA background features enabled (more data can be harvested and sent back to TSLA for FSD development vs. what was possible with MCU1)
5. Created the market for upgraded MCU1 customers to resell their old MCU1s to other S/X radio enthusiast​

I would only add the following: I do think TSLA should offer one free goodwill MCU1 > MCU1 swap (and if they can just swap the electronic components and not the entire unit that's fine) for any owner whos emmc dies. An inadequate emmc is a TSLA problem, and TSLA needs to make it right. Offering customers an upgrade path is fine - and something I plan on opting for - but they need to do something for those who prefer to keep what they've got.

Well tesla will just say the $2500 includes returning the old MCU 1

I'm kind of in the same boat.
I was going to have my emmc swapped and upgrade to LTE in the next couple of weeks, but now i'm unsure if i should just wait for MCU2 to become available for my late 2014 AP1 S85.
Damn!
Same boat as you. The added benefit here if you time it right, you can keep using your current MCU until compete failure and not have to worry about losing your security certificates that only Tesla can provide.

I'm undecided, but leaning towards "no" for my 2017 Model S with FSD. SXM is pretty much the only media I use in my car and losing that would be insane. If they made it seamless by installing the streaming app on the unit I would consider it strongly, but it makes no sense to pay $2500 to lose functionality. What's next, are they going to charge me $2,500 to uninstall my sunroof?

Do you not see replacing the eMMC through a 3rd party as a 4th viable and cheaper option?