Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU2 - Retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My X developed yellow border for the second time and a mobile technician brought a brand new MCU/LCD assembly, took out my MCU/LCD, swapped LCD from the unit he brought and put back my old MCU with the replaced LCD in about 60 min. Swapping units does not take that long. I was told configuring a new MCU takes much longer than physical install.

My S got the "yellow border" problem a while back. Local service says "Waiting for parts and do not have any Estimated Receival Date". sigh...it has been weeks and their emails seem to indicate they are swamped and have higher priority fixes. They make a point of telling me this does not affect the operation of the car. Ok, I agree. I love the car. On my second Tesla since 2013 and it is hard to get used to this new "level of service" after being spoiled. I can wait. Just jealous of the areas that have mobile service and they still experience the high level of attention we had for so many years.

Latest software update has the tesla atari driving game and usb controller support only going to mcu2 cars. I think we will start to see a clear breakoff of features from this point
the ROM is there in the firmware even for mcu1 cars though. I don't know why they decided to make that distinction. At first I suspected the rom just did not fit in the space available, but nope (since it's already included).

Hm, pole position has this weird comment in the ini file:

Code:
# pole position is more resource intensive than the other games which causes audio artifacts
sound none
Unsurprising. afaik everything is emulated via the Tegra 3 ARM cores. The audio was pretty sophisticated on original pp cabinets for the time. Unsure, though hoping, the Tesla emulator is using ogles to do the final blit. Though if not that might be an easy way to gain cycles back for the cpu.
Unsure which emulator TM are using, though there are a few tips here: FAQ:Performance - MAMEDEV Wiki. Would be interesting to see if keyboard works instead of usb controller and press F8/F9 and see if that works... or just enable in emulator ini file

I don’t think Tesla will branch out MCU2 vs MCU1 software in terms of capability now, the Atari game seems too trivial to stir the pot like that. It is likely that they way to rush this out before Christmas and will need to do more optimization to allow for MCU1 eventually.

Or I am just being optimistic.

Reactions: arcus
No doubt. Best thing to do is not watch the vids and just be happy with what we get... first world problems...

My wish is that Tesla would upgrade those of us that purchased a car built from 1/1/18 to 2/28/18 to an MCU2. Quick and easy time period.

That seems like a very arbitrary date? Why not everyone with MCU1 as MCU2 can retrofitted on any MCU1, regardless of date manf. date.