Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Messaging with Service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello again guys.
I took my Model Y to service with a problem that the display would go blank while driving which has happened 15-20 times and sometimes in a situation when I really needed the display.
Anyway, the service rep advised me that they need 3 points in time to determine what is going on so I have 6 "reference" points and have no idea how to convey (send) this info to Tesla service.
Any suggestion how to "speak" to a live Tesla person either via phone, text or email?
Thanks guys
Bob

Hello again guys.
I took my Model Y to service with a problem that the display would go blank while driving which has happened 15-20 times and sometimes in a situation when I really needed the display.
Anyway, the service rep advised me that they need 3 points in time to determine what is going on so I have 6 "reference" points and have no idea how to convey (send) this info to Tesla service.
Any suggestion how to "speak" to a live Tesla person either via phone, text or email?
Thanks guys
Bob
You can use the Tesla app to update the current service request you submitted. Else, if your Tesla vehicle is actively being serviced there should be a way to use the phone system and be routed to the Service Manager or at least their voice mail.

You can use the Tesla app to update the current service request you submitted. Else, if your Tesla vehicle is actively being serviced there should be a way to use the phone system and be routed to the Service Manager or at least their voice mail.
In my recent experience there was no way to call and be routed to anything other than a recording that instructs you to use the app for all communications. The only way I’ve ever been able to talk to anyone is after requesting (multiple times) on the app for a call back. If you do get a call back and later try to dial that number you get re-directed to the normal automated system tells you to use the app. Tesla has a pathological aversion to allowing a human employee to interact with customers via the phone.

• Informative
Reactions: OldEvo and jcanoe
Thank you Canoe, unless I am doing something wrong, the only option on the phone app is to schedule a service appointment which is not what I want to do. I want to speak to someone in service as to how to provide them with the information that I was advised was need for them to evaluate my "problem" and do not want to schedule an appointment.
I'll try Bug Report but I don't know if anyone is actually looking at them and/or if they will contact ME with a reply or put my Bug Report in with similar issues from other owners that need to be corrected and released in a future update.
And thank you Greech, that has been my experience as well and thought that maybe I was doing something wrong.
Apparently Mr. Musk wants everything done through your phone which is not my preference

Don't use the bug reporting feature as that may only be retrieved as part of a service appointment, if ever. I would open a service request and explain that Tesla Service asked for the following: date/time of past screen blackout events, photos of the screen message/errors (you can upload photos to the service request.)

Thanks Canoe, you advised me to "open a service request and explain that Tesla Service asked for the following......".
I apologize for sounding ignorant but the only thing that I find under Service is to select what Select Service after choosing what needs "attention" Collision & Glass, Noise & Vibration, .....Upgrades and Accessories, describe the issue and schedule an appointment. I don't see an option to talk to someone or provide information to someone.
Is this what I am suppose to do, request a service call to tell the technician that arrives that I want to give him/her 3 dates and times for he/she evaluate when they get back to the Tesla Service Center?
If this is the process, it's not very efficient process.
Bob

I would choose the service request option that is closest to the screen blackout issue. In the description briefly provide the dates/times of the screen blackout occurrences. Something like "Infotainment screen blacked out while driving on 2/28, 3/1 and 3/2 for 10 minutes each time. Requesting diagnostics/repair of screen, screen cabling."

In the year + that I have had the car I use the app for all communications. Treat it like a messaging app, which it is. Much better for you and Tesla. There is a record of exactly what the problem is. I even scheduled a home visit to get an explanation for things I don’t understand and I get a reply back with the answer. Really works well but it is different than calling the service department, listening to any recorded messages and then speaking to the service person who may or may not work on your car. Who may or may not relay the problem/issue correctly. All appointments are scheduled and everything seems to work well.

To be fair I didn’t like it at first but now I prefer it. Good luck.

Reactions: Yelobird
I have a pending service to have the new Rev C wiper arms installed on my 2020 Y scheduled for 3.24 and I have been chatting frequently with a SA using the "text" feature. But once the service is closed that feature goes away and getting someone to respond is pretty hard.

I have a pending service to have the new Rev C wiper arms installed on my 2020 Y scheduled for 3.24 and I have been chatting frequently with a SA using the "text" feature. But once the service is closed that feature goes away and getting someone to respond is pretty hard.
Can't you use the app messaging to start a service call again? Every time I used the app Tesla responded, no matter how dumb it may have appeared. I would schedule (their option) either an in home visit or service center visit. Most times the reply solved the problem and the service call was canceled.

Hey Tom, have you done this "use the app messaging to start a service call ....... Every time I used the app Tesla responded" and if you have HOW do you text service? Or do you schedule an appointment, at some point in time service reads what your issue is and replies with suggestion and/or questions"?

You have to schedule an appointment in the app in order to open the lines of communication. Tesla Service will respond to you seeking more information, which you can provide in the chat function in the app. From there, they'll follow through with your appointment to correct the problem, send out a ranger to correct the problem at your location, correct the problem remotely, or close your ticket (and cancel your appointment) if the issue cannot be immediately resolved (perhaps it's a known bug that will be corrected in a future software update). Everything starts with scheduling an appointment.