Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mid Range waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It didn’t copy over the emojis but it said at Tesla they make cars for overseas and east coast in first half of quarter.

Doesn’t that mean that US demand is less ? Why would somebody in their sane(emphasis here) mind not deliver cars in hands of US buyers who can claim their full $7,500 credit from US Government by Dec 31st ? Unless obviously they are making more profits overseas shafting US buyers.

Doesn’t make sense either way. My 0.02.

I'm confused, isn't cash technically 3rd party financing? You're going to show up with all the funds, even if it's a bank check from the bank financing the purchase.

Is 3rd party finance mean that the Bank also listed in the car registration? I think that what happen when purchasen my last car. I only get the clean registration after I paid off my car.

Is 3rd party finance mean that the Bank also listed in the car registration? I think that what happen when purchasen my last car. I only get the clean registration after I paid off my car.

Bank or Lender holds the Title of Car until it’s fully paid off. They can sell the car if you don’t pay. Many states have different rules here but you get the idea.

You as owner(s) on registration. In most states you cannot register car without proper title paperwork so it gets a bit complicated.

Hope this makes it clear.

The overseas part is for model s and x only. As for 3s, with the deadline looming, it makes sense to ship the farther sales first to make sure it gets there in time. Margin of error for delivery is much tighter compared to delivering a car to some one in Bay Area or LA.

That's been the method for several months as Tesla has tried to maximize the amount of deliveries it get's shipped in a given quarter. However, in the past quarters the federal tax rebate was not at issue. Now that delivery before the end of the year has an impact on your federal tax credit, I think their approach will be different.

As can be seen on the Model 3 order page, Tesla still says, "All customers are eligible for the full $7,500 Federal Tax Credit if they take delivery by the end of the year. Current delivery timelines are 4 weeks for the west coast, 6 weeks for central and 8 weeks for the east coast. For delivery under 4 weeks, you can pick up your car directly from our Fremont factory."

That sounds like production and delivery will be more aligned with when you ordered, and Tesla is trying to be transparent on the time required to deliver to different regions. It may not be ideal for total deliveries to the east coast, but its probably the most transparent. If they tried to prioritize by region over when you placed an order just to maximize total deliveries, that (to me) would seem a bit dicey.

so if you sign for delivery and get it delivered to home and notice something wrong, will Tesla not fix it?

No, generally they will fix it (unless its an aesthetic issue that Tesla determines is "within spec"). What it comes down to is a person tolerance for accepting varying levels of imperfection on a new vehicle and their willingness to potentially give up some leverage on getting it fixed in a timely manner. In my case, I'd rather be at the delivery center and see the car before I sign anything. That way I know exactly what may need to be addressed (if anything) and I have leverage to ensure it gets fixed as part of signing for the car.

Reactions: neroden
That's been the method for several months as Tesla has tried to maximize the amount of deliveries it get's shipped in a given quarter. However, in the past quarters the federal tax rebate was not at issue. Now that delivery before the end of the year has an impact on your federal tax credit, I think their approach will be different.

As can be seen on the Model 3 order page, Tesla still says, "All customers are eligible for the full $7,500 Federal Tax Credit if they take delivery by the end of the year. Current delivery timelines are 4 weeks for the west coast, 6 weeks for central and 8 weeks for the east coast. For delivery under 4 weeks, you can pick up your car directly from our Fremont factory."

That sounds like production and delivery will be more aligned with when you ordered, and Tesla is trying to be transparent on the time required to deliver to different regions. It may not be ideal for total deliveries to the east coast, but its probably the most transparent. If they tried to prioritize by region over when you placed an order just to maximize total deliveries, that (to me) would seem a bit dicey.
As a west coast 10/18 waiter, I hope you are right. Once the VINs start coming in we should be getting a better picture of how they are processing the orders.

Reactions: PaulJB
I’m guessing the first takers must have received the initial test run. I’ve only seen a couple of VINS for Lemurs.

Yep, I think you're right. I'm as guilty as the next person for checking my Tesla account like crazy, but its only been 1.5 weeks since Tesla opened MR Model 3s for order, and they guided for delivery in 6-10 weeks (4 weeks minimum for West Coast).

On a related note, I think its a bit premature to be concerned about who has a VIN or whether a person has all of the boxes checked on their account. I'm not sure it matters. My boss got a dual motor a couple months ago, and he didn't have a VIN until literally a few days before they called him to tell him the car was ready. He had to rush to get the loan set up and the insurance added because he thought it was still weeks out. He got the car, and loves it.

Yep, I think you're right. I'm as guilty as the next person for checking my Tesla account like crazy, but its only been 1.5 weeks since Tesla opened MR Model 3s for order, and they guided for delivery in 6-10 weeks (4 weeks minimum for West Coast).

On a related note, I think its a bit premature to be concerned about who has a VIN or whether a person has all of the boxes checked on their account. I'm not sure it matters. My boss got a dual motor a couple months ago, and he didn't have a VIN until literally a few days before they called him to tell him the car was ready. He had to rush to get the loan set up and the insurance added because he thought it was still weeks out. He got the car, and loves it.

I agree. Nervous on the East Coast but I placed my order on 10/20 (once I was sure my finances were in order). It said 8-10 weeks for East Coast which would mean delivery by end of year. Fingers crossed and checking my account and email obsessively.

I agree. Nervous on the East Coast but I placed my order on 10/20 (once I was sure my finances were in order). It said 8-10 weeks for East Coast which would mean delivery by end of year. Fingers crossed and checking my account and email obsessively.

Fellow nervous east coaster checking in. Keep checking texts, email, and Tesla account obsessively. I'm a line waiter who ordered night MR was announced (two weeks ago), really would like to take delivery before end of Q4 madness.

I read in the "off menu" thread people looking for LR RWD today were told there are no more unmatched cars, so that's gotta mean MR and/or AWD gotta be rolling and matching VINs soon?

Fellow nervous east coaster checking in. Keep checking texts, email, and Tesla account obsessively. I'm a line waiter who ordered night MR was announced (two weeks ago), really would like to take delivery before end of Q4 madness.

I read in the "off menu" thread people looking for LR RWD today were told there are no more unmatched cars, so that's gotta mean MR and/or AWD gotta be rolling and matching VINs soon?

Add me in as another East Coast person waiting. Ordered on 20th. My absolute drop dead date if I don’t get a VIN is Dec 10. If I can’t get by year end then I will see my options in new year.

Tesla gotta give me for same money once rebate pond dries to half. They are riding the wave.

I was on the fence and ordered on 10/18 9:45 ET. missed off the menu. Now not sure if the acceleration is good enough for me. ivan801, please post a 0-60 video when you get a chance. Will bring peace of mind to many anxious line waiters like me! Thx!

I joined to add some insight to this screenshot, because I too was here last week. I had all 4 check marks (uploaded insurance without Tesla VIN, just current info). I felt like something was missing but there was nothing left to complete. I logged in a few more times over the next day or two and suddenly noticed a dark-colored bar at the bottom of the screen with a submit button (and maybe like an agree to terms checkbox?). I'm not sure if it was there before and I missed it or it just showed up after awhile, but obviously I submitted my info.

After submitting, I now have a page saying they are drafting up my contract and will contact me to make my final payment. There are tabs for "next steps" and "overview". It's been the same for about a week now. There is no edit button.

On another note, obligatory information:

Order Date: 10/23
Mid Range RWD
White
18" Aero
Black Interior
EAP: Yes
Payment: All cash upfront

I test drove on Sunday the 21st (a performance Model 3) and ordered on Tuesday the 23rd. 10 weeks from that date is January 1st so...scary! I received an email from my Owner Advisor about 2.5 hours after placing my order. She said it was fine to upload my current insurance info and update it later when I had a VIN/delivery date.

The guy at the Tesla shop told me on Sunday the 21st that he expected delivery would be closer to the 6 weeks than the 10 weeks, but that I should order soon. Taken with a grain of salt for sure...

Good luck everyone!

Reactions: DriveMe
When I did my initial order, I had 3 checkmarks (Registration, Insurance, Trade-In), and my Payment Method was incomplete - I had a "Cash" and "Finance through Telsa" options, but I really wanted Third Party Financing, so I had selected "Finance through Tesla" because I certainly didn't have the upfront cash.

After sitting on it for a few days, and speaking with a few CS agents, I realized that Third Party Financing WAS available, it's all figured out with the delivery agent. SO, I logged back in, and changed my Payment Method to "Cash", which completed my last checkmark. This changed my header from "Prepare for Delivery" to "Please review your details and confirm"

I joined to add some insight to this screenshot, because I too was here last week. I had all 4 check marks (uploaded insurance without Tesla VIN, just current info). I felt like something was missing but there was nothing left to complete. I logged in a few more times over the next day or two and suddenly noticed a dark-colored bar at the bottom of the screen with a submit button (and maybe like an agree to terms checkbox?). I'm not sure if it was there before and I missed it or it just showed up after awhile, but obviously I submitted my info.

I also saw the blue submit button as previous poster once all 4 ticks were completed.

These comments got me REALLY curious...I was missing something here. I logged back into my Tesla account (now with all 4 checkmarks), and lo and behold, I have a SUBMIT button. I couldn't tell you if it had always been there or not, or if it appeared after I selected Cash.
Screen Shot 2018-11-01 at 10.12.49 PM.png

I clicked the SUBMIT button, and now I have progress! See below:

Screen Shot 2018-11-01 at 10.13.07 PM.png

I have no more Edit Design button, and things feel a lot farther along.

So, it appears the sequence is:
- Order Car
- Complete all four checkboxes
- Click Submit

Good luck, everyone!

• Informative
Reactions: DriveMe
Hello fellow Model 3 RW reservation holders, below are my order details
  • No Reservation
  • Config Date: October 22, 2018
  • Mid Range Rear-Wheel Drive
  • Sold Black Paint
  • 18’’ Aero Wheels
  • All Black Premium Interior
  • Trading in my current vehicle (2015' Range Rover Evoque Dynamic Premium)
  • Tesla Financing
I can still edit my design, no update from my DA with regards to VIN. But when I contacted my DA through texts, he said I should be looking at December delivery.

Attached is my account page with only 3 checkmarks, as I was informed that the finance team would reach out to me as my delivery date approaches, as each finance quote is valid for only 30days.

Attachments

• screenshot-www.tesla.com-2018.11.01-20-20-19.png
    screenshot-www.tesla.com-2018.11.01-20-20-19.png
    314.9 KB · Views: 69