Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile app update is coming but I am not impressed with the rumored features

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the android version I do not see a way to use the widgets outside of the app itself. I thought the idea with widgets was that they could be added to your home screen, or any screen you wanted to add them to. When I attempt to add a widget, there are no widgets available from the Tesla app. Other apps' widgets are, of course, available.

Perhaps I need to reboot the phone. I'll try that.

Am I missing something?

Reactions: SG57
On the android version I do not see a way to use the widgets outside of the app itself. I thought the idea with widgets was that they could be added to your home screen, or any screen you wanted to add them to. When I attempt to add a widget, there are no widgets available from the Tesla app. Other apps' widgets are, of course, available.

Am I missing something?
I'm seeing the same thing. I restarted my devices. It doesn't look like there are any Android widgets.

• Helpful
Reactions: Andyw2100
Warning: Don't add the widget if you enjoy minimal vampire drain. It wakes up the car every time you show your widgets.

Very good point. I just deleted the widget.

The only "new" feature I see is that it shows the firmware version and the app is more responsive. Has anyone identified some new features?

Tesla is not shy about pre-announcing features, why is there any reason to think this is anything more than a facelift?

The car icon shown in my app is different from screenshot, it's showing the head of the car, LHD and RHD differences? Literally I cannot see if the right rear door closed now, lol

I noticed this as well when testing out the app for the first time last night. However, I did notice that the car will only lock from the mobile app now, if all of the doors are closed.

Compared to the previous version of the app, it's an extra step to take to confirm all the doors are closed, but it's still possible.

The only "new" feature I see is that it shows the firmware version and the app is more responsive. Has anyone identified some new features?

Tesla is not shy about pre-announcing features, why is there any reason to think this is anything more than a facelift?

I'll have to delete the widget as well. This drawback removes whatever benefit it brought. Heck the feature itself isn't even worth the RISK of it waking the car when it doesn't need to.

I haven't come to any conclusions on the app update. It might be less disappointing if it allows me to more quickly turn on the climate control. I tend to turn it on a couple minutes before I start walking out to my car when it's really cold out. With the old app it would take awhile sometimes to get confirmation that it turned on, and sometimes could take a bit simply to connect to the car.

The features I'm really hoping for can't be offered at the app without a firmware update on the car. Things like being able to turn on the front/rear defroster, or turning on battery heating.

I like the firmware being displayed now. However Remote S has had that, along with detailed amperage etc displayed when charging, trip recording, and soooo much else that the only thing I use the Tesla app for is updating the calendar when in the car. This update doesn't change that.

Seems like the new features might be tied to the 8.1 update, one can hope at least.

Am I missing something?
You're correct, Android widgets are interactive elements you place on your home screen.

Here is an example of the Control widget for the Android app, Dashboard for Tesla :

widgets1.jpg

Disclaimer: I am the developer

• Informative
Reactions: Andyw2100