Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile charging for Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
image.jpg
From BMWi3 facebook page.

- - - Updated - - -

J1772 to menickes.

I found this from a company in Guangzhou:

SAE J1772 (Type 1) to IEC 62196-2(Type 2) Extension Cord 32A for EV Charging in Type 2 Connector Cable from EV Charging (EVSE) for Sale

Looking into whether or not it would work for a Tesla Model S (HK/AU/NZ/EU model obviously)

Any ideas on this?

- - - Updated - - -

Unless plans change, I should be in SYD two days before the launch event (duh!), would have loved to be there and cheer with you guys.

Having said that - if there is great demand for that J1772 to Model S adaptor above, we might be able to rush it through so I can bring a batch of them with me?

If this has any interest, please act quickly. I am in for at least two units myself, maybe some other Hong Kong owners would like the same. Are there a lot of J1772 stations in Australia?

Are there a lot of J1772 stations in Australia?

Nope. Of the ones that do exist, many are on private property or are at car dealerships.

That's why I think a J1772 to Mennekes is not as important as a mobile charger that can be plugged into any wall socket. Sure it takes a ridiculously long time to fully charge up, but it certainly gives a lot more flexibility and is also designed to get you home or to a place with a HPWC. Supposedly one will be out next year for Australia but who knows.

Nope. Of the ones that do exist, many are on private property or are at car dealerships.

That's why I think a J1772 to Mennekes is not as important as a mobile charger that can be plugged into any wall socket. Sure it takes a ridiculously long time to fully charge up, but it certainly gives a lot more flexibility and is also designed to get you home or to a place with a HPWC. Supposedly one will be out next year for Australia but who knows.

at last count it was like 140. there are more J1772 then mennekes there are only about 15 mennekes type 2 in the wild. if your desperate for a mobile connector you can get a type 1 to type 2 cable and a Holden volt EVSE for $450, which would give you 10amp charging single phase.

at last count it was like 140. there are more J1772 then mennekes there are only about 15 mennekes type 2 in the wild. if your desperate for a mobile connector you can get a type 1 to type 2 cable and a Holden volt EVSE for $450, which would give you 10amp charging single phase.

Interesting. 140 J1772's doesn't sound like much at all (probably because it isn't much at all) compared to the number of, say, Nissan Leaf's on the road in Australia, reportedly 400+. Many of those would be fleet so not 1 J1772 for every car on the road but I thought the number would be higher.

Interesting. 140 J1772's doesn't sound like much at all (probably because it isn't much at all) compared to the number of, say, Nissan Leaf's on the road in Australia, reportedly 400+. Many of those would be fleet so not 1 J1772 for every car on the road but I thought the number would be higher.

that's only a count of public or semi public (dealerships and hotels) . I don't have figures on homes and fleet arrangements. and it's not much which is why its fine Tesla have gone with type 2, if Australia now progresses with a type 2 socket universal (allows for both type 1 and type 2) arrangement for public level 2 charging, it should please everyone.

There is a 13A "mobile charger" available already in HK, but it isn't included with the car - despite being the by far most common charging option. I know your AU plug is different to our BS1363 HK/UK/SG "other Commonwealth" plug. Inside is the same, 13A gross, 10A net, for 230V AC, so you could really use a simple converter, or cut off the HK/UK plug and mount a solid AU type.

For what it is charging, it's really pricey (3600 HKD = 550 AUD - and HK doesn't have any VAT/sales tax). This is, however, the only charging cable I have used so far in Hong Kong, apart from supercharging. So I charge at either 9 km/h or 600 km/h (initially), nothing in between. Hong Kong EV chargers are like more than 95% BS1363 (common HK wall socket).

Being the enthusiast I am, and not having charging where I live *) nor where I work - I depend on charging on the go. Nearest supercharger 35 minute drive away, so I hit up every charger I can find where we park. As soon as the ChaDeMo is out, I am getting one of those, but as the J1772, ChaDeMo is rare as well.

With less than 10 J1772 chargers in HK, I might be wasting my time, yes ... but my point is that because of lacking infrastructure, the more options you have, the more flexible you can be wrt charging needs. If there is a ChaDeMo or J1772 at where you are going - well, then that 1 single charger might be best for you.

*) I have been asking since APRIL to get it done, it's drowning in ... general foot dragging exercises. Where I work there are TWO chargers: One isn't in a car park I am allowed to use, the other is operational, yet not in service pending "general foot dragging exercises" as well.

Last edited:
This is the cord I designed. It works great for trickle charging at 30A, although the flap on the j1772 inlet failed within a week.

Steve

Trickle charging at 30A? I charge at 13A when I don't supercharge, so 30A for me is 3x faster - 15 hours for a full charger rather than 50 hours!

If this is the very cable, and you can confirm it works (apart from the broken flap), then I will probably get one. Thanks, Steve :)

Thanks. I think I will order one also.

Most of the chargepoint chargers around here are j1772.

They will be my emergency fuel can in case I cut things too close

Mike_j and DITC, you might also compare price with the company that made the cable I had designed (earlier in the thread, with photo). The contact is called Victoria and she is familiar with the cable. Mine was made before Steve's but has not been tested on a car because of delivery delay. I don't get car delivery until 15th Dec, but the cable has been lab tested here and seems OK. I will do a test charge with some experts after Christmas. I am in Sydney but the car delivery delay, imminent rollout of the SCs, and oncoming UMC mean I may not use it unless I eventually get down to eastern Victoria, and maybe never. However, if dual J1772 and Type 2 chargers appear, I wonder if in the situation where the type 2 is being used by another Tesla whether the J1772 might still be useful…..the charge times are significant.

Zhangjiagang Uchen Technical & Engine Co.,Ltd.
Suzhou Industrial Park Dostar technology Co., Ltd.
Tel: +86-512-62953825
Fax: +86-512-62531887
Email: [email protected]

Cool. Did you include the resistor to signal the cable capacity to the car?

Steve

The company designed the cable for me after I told them what I wanted. They are used to the standard communication standards - they make many related SAE, TUV and UL connectors and plugs (J1772 and Type 2) for sale to USA and Europe. After it arrived, the local Australian lab group tested the cable for compliance with Chargepoint equipment and said it was OK. I specified 32A cable because Chargepoint often delivers that maximum current so we shouldn't blow the cable. All will be revealed in late December after I have had some time with the car, but the experts I am using do not expect problems, and I trust they would have noticed if any required components that determine charge rate are missing. As I have said before, I do not want to blow up the car or the charger so we will be double checking everything on the test day. But if any problem is encountered I will immediately inform the thread and the company. Thanks for the heads up though.

Very jealous of you having so much fun. Interest is huge; I already have a big queue of people who want a ride.

David

mike_j (or others), Having my Sig delivered to Western Victoria, when the time comes ! Until the Service Centre or a Supercharger (in Melbourne), & appropriate Tesla supplied alternative connectors available, will be seeking top-up facility as close as is reasonable to Balaclava/East St Kilda, around Christmas/Boxing Day. Anyone out there able to help us out ? Thanks.

Thanks for the offer Higgy. Will see how things pan out. Our gathering at the Kelvin Club (3 June) seems like yesterday to me. From the content of these forums, others obviously don't have the same view ! Wall Connector due in any day. New home not finished, old one not sold, so plans for the ACT abandoned. Tks, John.

Why would you need to add the resister ? the only cable that needed the resister are ones for the 2010 i-meiv which aren't compliant they just use a J1772 plug. no EVSE box.
The 62196 standard used by the Tesla expects a resistor to signal the cable capacity to the car. Without it you could overload the adaptor by connecting say a 60A J1772 to your Tesla through it.

The 62196 standard used by the Tesla expects a resistor to signal the cable capacity to the car. Without it you could overload the adaptor by connecting say a 60A J1772 to your Tesla through it.

Are you sure? Normally in a type2 system, the EVSE reads the resistor at the other end of the cable and signals the combined rating (lesser of EVSE and cable) on the CP pin.

It is possible the car reads the resistor on the PP pin also as an extra check, but I don't think it is required to do so.

Mike_j and DITC, you might also compare price with the company that made the cable I had designed (earlier in the thread, with photo). The contact is called Victoria and she is familiar with the cable. Mine was made before Steve's but has not been tested on a car because of delivery delay. I don't get car delivery until 15th Dec, but the cable has been lab tested here and seems OK. I will do a test charge with some experts after Christmas. I am in Sydney but the car delivery delay, imminent rollout of the SCs, and oncoming UMC mean I may not use it unless I eventually get down to eastern Victoria, and maybe never. However, if dual J1772 and Type 2 chargers appear, I wonder if in the situation where the type 2 is being used by another Tesla whether the J1772 might still be useful…..the charge times are significant.

Zhangjiagang Uchen Technical & Engine Co.,Ltd.
Suzhou Industrial Park Dostar technology Co., Ltd.
Tel: +86-512-62953825
Fax: +86-512-62531887
Email: [email protected]

Great info, will ask.

Does J1772 support 3 phase 32A (230V) ? That would make it even more attractive. SAE J1772 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - it mentions 3 phase here, would those two adapters mentioned be able to do that? I thought that cable looked like single phase 6mm2 / 32A cable.

Rumour is, btw, that Tesla Motors in HK are testing wall chargers of 32A/3 phase at the moment. With dual chargers, that would be 20 kW or 90 km/h charging, the fastest you could get without having a DC charger. I wouldn't need that at home, but for a shopping mall or other place with EVs visiting for a few hours, it would be a great alternative to a much more expensive ChaDeMo installation. (And there is no ChaDeMo released for Model S yet, apart from Japan)