Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile charging for Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What total voltage and current will that support in the future?
with dual chargers you model s can support ~20kW so 32amp 3 phase 415V. the Renault Cleo can support 63amps 43kW through a type 2 plug.

if the CHAdeMO adapter is released you'll be able to go to 50kW. anything higher than that is currently tesla only supercharger hardware which you can't exactly purchase and install at home.

How 'bout choosing an Australian company to forge ahead with a product?

Miimura

This is the one I had made and it is apparently OK having been lab tested by those who know but are not allowed to openly support non-OEM equipment.

View attachment 56684

I will probably have tested it on my own car by end of September.

So you are right, the handle was not correct on the advertisement sent to me and mine is still unique. Please disregard my last post.

Taking us back to the threads initial quest for a global charging solution;
Rather than trying to individually have frankeplugs made in China (which would be prototypes capable of burning down our houses and setting of some fancy fireworks), we could request the creation and integration of such a beast from our very own charging gurus here in Australia!

Tritium powering your driving future.

vefill rapid chargers started shipping to europe and now US this year. Sadly they have CCS and Chademo plugs for their products currently to match the countries they supply.
I'm sure vefill would jump at the opportunity to supply Mennekes standard to Australia and parts of Europe that use Mennekes. They may even have the technological know-how to pop together cheap, safe converters for J1772 like we've all be looking for.

Magic bullet to charging right under our noses here in Oz?
Generic-Logo-Veefils.jpg

Australian Quick charger maker 'Vefill' started supplying European and US markets this year.
Their units over there have CHAdeMO and CSE adaptors, but perhaps they would see Mennekes as a market in Australia and some other European countries as the go?
I wrote them an email just to be sure (i'm not the best email writer, but I gave it a shot);

Email from me to Tritium:
G'day

Was wondering if your Veefil units would/could support Mennekes in the near future?

Both BMW and Tesla will be releasing their EV models here in Oz this year with Mennekes as standard (supports 3-phase which is widely available here and rapid-DC charging rates) and Nissan is considering adopting this so it can utilize Teslas now-open source supercharging network once up and running.

It would be good to have a middle range commercially available rapid charger in Australia.

I note that Tritium is also heavily involved in other EV- related ventures and wonder if development of a 'frankenplug' to adapt the currently available J1772 outlets to Mennekes would be a possibility. Some people on the tesla forum have taken it upon themselves to get Chinese manufactures to peace together prototypes that do this - I imagine we might get better, safer results from a dedicated charging company.

Either way demand will build and it would be nice to see an Australian company taking the lead.

----
I forgot to mention the pictures of the VW Golf GTE also look like they have been made with Mennekes as the standard (yet another convert and reason for Frankenplug converts to fill the market) - see T.E.N. Future Transport News 5th September 2014: Tesla Gigafactory Site, Andy Palmer’s Departure, VW Golf GTE - Transport Evolved Electric Car News

Will let you know if they reply.​

Danielp, not sure if you are aware or interested, but there is a free EV Charging Station at the NRMA Service Centre in Tuggeranong (there is also one in Sydney also). The charger is not a ChargePoint charger and you do need a security card to gain access to the device. If you are interested then PM me and I will provide you with contact details. Cheers PeterT

Danielp, not sure if you are aware or interested, but there is a free EV Charging Station at the NRMA Service Centre in Tuggeranong (there is also one in Sydney also). The charger is not a ChargePoint charger and you do need a security card to gain access to the device. If you are interested then PM me and I will provide you with contact details. Cheers PeterT

I wasn't aware - thank you. I've sent a PM.

Note further down the web page there are a number of certificates. Anyone looking at importing, reselling or using electrical equipment that will connect to the grid needs to make sure the manufacturer can supply a SDoC (Supplier Declaration of Conformity) that meets the appropriate AS/NZ electrical standard.

It might be better to wait for reputable companies to provide components rather than a DIY approach. I'm sure Tesla have SDoCs for their products.

Whilst David has sourced this cable and is to be commended for being proactive in such pursuits for the benefit of himself and others, I tend to agree with Johnwill here as you are dealing with a piece of equipment that could potentially become very lethal. The reason I say this is because there have been a number of recalls in recent times where the insulation on some Chinese made and supplied cabling has broken down creating a very dangerous situation. Some of this cabling (which was different to what was originally passed by Standards) has now been inadvertently installed in some houses now. If this can happen to static cabling that is rarely handled then imagine the possibilities of EV charging cables that will be handled on a regular basis. I guess the moral of this story is: everyone should always observe safety first and not handle an active charge cable. Only after it is connected to the car should you then switch on the charging system.

I hope this helps ...