Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I timed 0-100mph a few times and got low 7s going by as soon as I see the camera shake which is also right about when the 0 pops up and stopping at 100. This should be on the slow end of things since the car hasnt quite moved yet.

But fastestlaps.com has the TM3p at 8.2s for 0-160kph (100mph) so that should be pretty well a second faster to 100. The 120-130 looks pretty sad, but 1 sec quicker to 100 isnt insignificant.

1 second faster 0-100 is a big difference for sure, and has the most real world impact (passing power, etc.), so that's good. I would find it hard to believe if this new M3P isn't noticeably faster than the old one based on the power % increases Tesla is claiming. Really curious to see official dragy/drag strip results.

Reactions: cptnslo
I timed the new m3p acceleration with a video editing software, and compared the times in a table to the old m3p.
The differences above 60mph are dramatic.
This new m3p should leave dust to the Model S long range in a 1/4 mile run.

I'm skeptical. The Model S LR runs 10.6-10.8s in the 1/4th and traps 130mph. I'd be ecstatic if its anywhere near those numbers.

I'm skeptical. The Model S LR runs 10.6-10.8s in the 1/4th and traps 130mph. I'd be ecstatic if its anywhere near those numbers.
The way I calculate:
The old m3p did 1/4 mile in 11.5 seconds (the numbers in the video I've posted were taken from such a 11.5 seconds run). The new m3p is 1.1 seconds faster at 100mph than the old one, and the difference becomes only bigger as speed grows. 1/4 mile for sure will arrive after 100mph, meaning the difference in 1/4 mile between the new and old m3p should be more than 1.1 seconds, putting the new m3p faster than 10.4 seconds (11.5 minus 1.1).

I think the logic here is sound.

The way I calculate:
The old m3p did 1/4 mile in 11.5 seconds (the numbers in the video I've posted were taken from such a 11.5 seconds run). The new m3p is 1.1 seconds faster at 100mph than the old one, and the difference becomes only bigger as speed grows. 1/4 mile for sure will arrive after 100mph, meaning the difference in 1/4 mile between the new and old m3p should be more than 1.1 seconds, putting the new m3p faster than 10.4 seconds (11.5 minus 1.1).

If the new M3P does a 10.4 1/4 mile, people are going to crap their pants. That would be an insane improvement.

Reactions: phantasms
The way I calculate:

I don't think so because you still need to cover the whole distance. The time to the same speed will be at least 1.1s faster, but you won't have covered the full 1/4 mile in that time frame.

Take the Plaid for example. 0-100 is somewhere around 3.5 - 4 seconds (having a hard time finding the exact number). That's 4-4.5 seconds faster than the old M3P, but the actual quarter mile is 'only' ~2.3s faster (9.2 vs 11.5)

Last edited:
I just wanted to chime in and say that this thread is much more fun to read through than the waiting room thread. I'm glad there's finally real world data (albeit mostly calculated through framerates) being recorded that's breathed new life to this thread; the posts in the waiting room are getting real old LOL.

I'm curious to see what the real world dragy 0-60 and quarter mile times will be with this car, esp in the US with the panasonic batteries.

If it can run a 10.99 @ 120 bone stock I will be impressed. Mid-low 10's and/or a 122+ trap are crack-smoking territory.
10.99 @ 120? Have you seen the video I've posted: 10.18 @ 120 (or are you talking about the quarter mile?). The only thing that can invalidate this measurement is if the road was a downward slope... Hard to say for sure, but doesn't look like it.

Reactions: Stanim
For my next trick, I’ll attempt another complete thread derail:

I want a performance oriented lightweight. M3 size with MS hatch and beauty. (Clearly the S is gorgeous, just large)
Give it a single Plaid motor in the rear and bearings in place of bushings in the suspension, along with the new car’s adaptive suspension and V3 track mode. 0-60 and top speed are BOTH irrelevant to me. The feel/experience are everything, and lighter weight, RWD and more feeling everywhere in the chassis is the ticket. If it can really handle this car would sell. At least I think so.
I like that but I need AWD.

Reactions: phantasms
I don't really see the use of what this car or the previous can do with an optimized battery. I'm not waiting for 10min before hitting a back road or an on ramp, or overtaking etc. If it's not immediately usable what is the point, beyond bragging rights?
Do you live less than 10 minutes from that back road? It is the same thing as putting it in Sport Mode with an ICE car. You just click a button when you get in and it has peak performance when you get to your backroad.

The new "Insane" mode is said to get the battery to optimal conditions while you drive. Won't know if that is true or not until I get mine.

I timed the new m3p acceleration with a video editing software, and compared the times in a table to the old m3p.
The differences above 60mph are dramatic.
This new m3p should leave dust to the Model S long range in a 1/4 mile run.

Nobody is doing anywhere near a 1.40 0-30 mph run 100% stock in the old car. 1.50 0-30 mph is about the best you could hope for 100% stock in the old car. 1.19 0-30 mph in the new car would be "INSANE". That would be a monumental difference. That is what a slow Plaid does.

I don't think so because you still need to cover the whole distance. The time to the same speed will be at least 1.1s faster, but you won't have covered the full 1/4 mile in that time frame.

Take the Plaid for example. 0-100 is somewhere around 3.5 - 4 seconds (having a hard time finding the exact number). That's 4-4.5 seconds faster than the old M3P, but the actual quarter mile is 'only' ~2.3s faster (9.2 vs 11.5)
Plaid 0-100 is not 3.5-4 seconds lol. 4.2 was quoted for the non-existent roadster. Plaid 0-100 is around 5 seconds.
EDIT: I’m wrong. It’s quoted at 4.3 seconds.

Do you live less than 10 minutes from that back road? It is the same thing as putting it in Sport Mode with an ICE car. You just click a button when you get in and it has peak performance when you get to your backroad.

The new "Insane" mode is said to get the battery to optimal conditions while you drive. Won't know if that is true or not until I get mine.

In the prior Model S, Insane was just the fastest mode enabled but didn't heat the battery to optimal conditions. I think it just unlocks max horsepower while Sport mode neuters it a bit. I don't think it will pre-heat anything unless you've heard different. I would think they just add a drag mode setting to Track Mode and optimize things from there.

Reactions: duncanduncan