Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's not how it works. Those amps go twice as far against 4X the inductance (roughly speaking - I'm sure some EE will jump in with a whole set of Maxwell's equations and explain the hysteresis and switching losses, etc.)
The point being that motor systems are fairly voltage agnostic. That's why Tesla's 400V motor is 90-94% efficient, just like Hyundai's 800V motor or an 8V drone motor.

Reactions: gearchruncher
That's not how it works. Those amps go twice as far against 4X the inductance (roughly speaking - I'm sure some EE will jump in with a whole set of Maxwell's equations and explain the hysteresis and switching losses, etc.)
The point being that motor systems are fairly voltage agnostic. That's why Tesla's 400V motor is 90-94% efficient, just like Hyundai's 800V motor or an 8V drone motor.

If it’s not voltage that is driving the EGMP advantage around the track, then it’s cooling. Seems their cooling is far superior to Tesla. Not sure what their advantage is but Tesla needs to do better in this department if they want to match the Koreans.

800V vs 400V means 2x less amps for the same power, so less heat loss overall in the battery and motors (Joule heating) = equal less cooling needed for same power output
The cells would see roughly the same current for a given power target regardless of the architecture, so the heat generated won’t change there. Similarly for the motors, the inverter is turning DC to AC at whatever the appropriate voltage, current, and frequency is appropriate for the motor, so the heat there won’t change there.

The wires going to the various high voltage components can be thinner and generate less heat, but that’s not a huge contributor to the heat of the platform.

Of course this is how it works. Joules effect is directly linked to amps

If you take the same 4V cell, and output 2A or 4A out of it, the heat loss is significantly higher at 4A vs 2A.

In the industry where I work, it's better to have a 2000HP motor at 4160V or 13.8KV instead of 480V... Sizes of wires, size of drive, cooling ...

It does not take a genius to understand that pulling half the amps is going to generate way less heat in the battery and make the cooling easier.

Those tesla motors have a great efficiency at low load, but I can guarantee you that a Plaid engine at full load is not at 94% efficiency, in fact it cannot sustain this power in continuous duty.

Edit : You are correct that each cell will see roughly the same current, 2x more cells in parallel in 400V, 2x more cells in series for 800V. However it seems all 800V architectures (Porsche/Hyundai) are better at heat management than Tesla, so there has to be less heat loss at some point... Maybe linked to total surface exchange vs coolant, or thermal conductivity vs coolant and battery ?

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: gearchruncher
If you take the same 4V cell, and output 2A or 4A out of it, the heat loss is significantly higher at 4A vs 2A.
Yeah of course if you take an individual cell and double power output it will generate more heat.

But let’s say you have 250 cells. You can arrange them in 125s2p for 500v or 250s for 1000v. If you’re asking the motor to produce 500kW, your current draw from the battery pack as a whole will be 1000A in the 500v configuration or 500A in the 1000v configuration. But each individual cell will only have 0.5A drawn regardless of the configuration.

The wait is almost over…
IMG_0502.jpeg

What if they don't change anything with respect to performance for the new Performance model? If it has the same Performance specs will you still upgrade? Remember the Highland Model 3 LR no longer offers the Boost upgrade so there will be an even bigger performance gap when comparing the LR to the Performance model.

What if they don't change anything with respect to performance for the new Performance model? If it has the same Performance specs will you still upgrade? Remember the Highland Model 3 LR no longer offers the Boost upgrade so there will be an even bigger performance gap when comparing the LR to the Performance model.

It’s happening?! Considering how long this thread is discussing all the possible improvements, they better have changed something about it lol.

If there’s zero improvement to the power, give us magneride or a HUD at least.

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
For all the discussion about 'Ring times- Some version of the Taycan just ran 7:07 on the ring, a full 17 seconds faster than the Plaid on US only tires:

I race on AutoX and Roadcourse with either my model 3 (AutoX) or my Corvette (AutoX and Roadcourse). I don't give a rats ass about street racing, no skills involved here, or too much risks in mountain roads (I used to do "Touge" style driving, done with that).
You should come join us over on this thread, there's a few of us actually racing our cars: Autocross- SCCA EV-X Class vs. SS

And even better, join some of us at the National tour events and hopefully nationals this year. We need more experienced drivers showing the world what EV's can do (and not do, given they are supposedly as fast as a GT3/GT4 at Autox)