Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How I wish Tesla brought the M3P to at least MSLR power levels. Too bad they stuck with the induction motor up front. Two PM motors, or better yet -- two plaid motors in a model 3 sized package could have been something special.
Hey we may yet see a Ludicrous mode update …hopefully this will close some of that gap 🙏🏽 And by that I mean 2.5/2.6 not 1.99 lol 😂

Agreed. The Plaid has half the time to 200kph than the new 3. It’s miraculous and wasn’t shown here. Launch wise the Plaid should leave the P3 in the dust and never look back lol.

Diff animals completely.
Better comparison would be the SLR to PM3.
I was still running 10.6s at the track this past weekend in my MSLR so a better comparison definitely but will not be the same level

How I wish Tesla brought the M3P to at least MSLR power levels. Too bad they stuck with the induction motor up front. Two PM motors, or better yet -- two plaid motors in a model 3 sized package could have been something special.
The bottleneck of the new m3p is *not* the motors. Not at all. The motors are capable of producing a whopping 620 hp (!!) on a lightweight 1840kg car - a killer combo. Problem: The primitive, ill designed LG battery can only supply 460 hp and the Panasonic can supply 510. So even the USA battery severely bottleneck the car.

We basically saw *zero* improvement in performance-car battery technology of the size used in compact sedans over the past years, and here lies the problem.

(actually, we went backwards in battery technology over the last few yeses, since the LG came out several years after the Panasonic, and is worse in every measurable value).

Last edited:
The bottleneck of the new m3p is *not* the motors. Not at all. The motors are capable of producing a whopping 620 hp (!!) on a lightweight 1840kg car - a killer combo. Problem: The primitive, ill designed LG battery can only supply 460 hp and the Panasonic can supply 510. So even the USA battery severely bottleneck the car.

We basically saw *zero* improvement in performance-car battery technology of the size used in compact sedans over the past years, and here lies the problem.

(actually, we went backwards in battery technology over the last few yeses, since the LG came out several years after the Panasonic, and is worse in every measurable value).
The motors are the bottleneck still at higher speeds. The front motor in particular really falls off a cliff.

Except perhaps for LG cold temp performance/range as well as battery degradation over time?

Last edited:
I was still running 10.6s at the track this past weekend in my MSLR so a better comparison definitely but will not be the same level

Striaght line speed is such a superficial measurement though. Most performance enthusiasts care about track times, figure 8, etc. As a former MSLR owner, I'd be absolutely shocked if the new M3P doesn't beat the MSLR around every mid and long track out there. The major deficiency of the MS platform is the size/weight and the handling suffers greatly (think BMW M3 compared to an M5 but even more exacerbated). The figure 8 and skidpad are pretty much a given for the M3P as well.

Both great cars, but different tools for different things.

Striaght line speed is such a superficial measurement though. Most performance enthusiasts care about track times, figure 8, etc. As a former MSLR owner, I'd be absolutely shocked if the new M3P doesn't beat the MSLR around every mid and long track out there. The major deficiency of the MS platform is the size/weight and the handling suffers greatly (think BMW M3 compared to an M5 but even more exacerbated). The figure 8 and skidpad are pretty much a given for the M3P as well.

Yes but there are people on here with plaids that are still dominating at the track with some suspension work. The reference I was inferring to though was people keep saying “it will be faster than the SLR” often times referencing the 1/4mi like the video recently by the guy who was racing against the plaid.
I’m not taking my MS to the road course though I’m out at 1/8mi and 1/4mi almost every other weekend. However that’s subjective

As a former MSLR owner, I'd be absolutely shocked if the new M3P doesn't beat the MSLR around every mid and long track out there.
I mean that might be the case, but mostly because you can disable traction and stability control in the M3P but not the MSLR. MSP (which has track mode but otherwise has the same suspension and LR and weighs more) will crush the M3P around any track even if you restrict power

It would be fun if they made a true "Plaid" model 3. Put the Model S Plaid motors in front and rear, remove the back seat, and put in extra batteries to bring it up to Model S levels where the back seat usually goes. It should end up a bit lighter than the Model S Plaid, although not as much as everyone would hope. Then price it at just a little more than Tesla charges for the Model S Plaid.

It really sounds like the new Model 3 Performance is pretty much maxed out for the battery that is in it. It's apparently going to take a revised battery pack that can put out more kW, while being the same size and weight as the current battery pack to make any substantial gains, without basically ending up with another Model S.

• Love
Reactions: Adam3
It really sounds like the new Model 3 Performance is pretty much maxed out for the battery that is in it. It's apparently going to take a revised battery pack that can put out more kW, while being the same size and weight as the current battery pack to make any substantial gains, without basically ending up with another Model S.
Simply using the S/X chemistry and rewiring things for somewhat higher voltage would probably let them squeeze more power out. But Tesla hasn't really been prioritizing development of that sorta thing for years now. Tbh I'm amazed we got a new motor at all for the M3P.

I mean that might be the case, but mostly because you can disable traction and stability control in the M3P but not the MSLR. MSP (which has track mode but otherwise has the same suspension and LR and weighs more) will crush the M3P around any track even if you restrict power
Lol yeah I’d hope that the MSP would decimate the M3P otherwise we have a larger problem here.

That said I would be real curious to see what kind of track times the M3P does lay down. I think it’s going to surprise a lot of people outside of the Tesla universe

Last edited:

You are right.

A professional Thai sport driver tested the new m3p (LG) on the track, and compared the times to more than 100 performance cars.

There were two different loops, a short one (with lots of turns and no ability to reach very high speed) and a long loop.

On the short loop, the new LG m3p reached 6th place (tied with Porsche 911 Carrera type 992 that came at number #5).

But, on the long loop, where much higher speeds can be reached, it came out #12. Still a good place (out of more than 100 performance cars he tested), but the inability of the new m3p LG to accelerate hard at higher speeds, hindered its place here).

It needs to be taken into account that the new m3p was tested in light rain, and the track was damp.

You can see the test here, starting at 1:10:33. Table for short loop results can be seen at 1:29:54. Table for long loop results at 1:32:49. He goes through the entire list of more than 100 cars for every loop.

It would be fun if they made a true "Plaid" model 3. Put the Model S Plaid motors in front and rear, remove the back seat, and put in extra batteries to bring it up to Model S levels where the back seat usually goes.
Just the range alone would make this really fun. "300 miles" at the track is really more like 50-60 for me. So bumping that up would be lovely.

Reactions: Adam3
Tbh I'm amazed we got a new motor at all for the M3P.
It was an easy task as it's not really a new motor. Just the 4D1 that was in use already in the US and EU Model Y which was then combined with the latest / strongest Inverter that is coming with the 4D3.

The M3P's 4D2 is not even the latest generation as only with the latest 4D3 they were able to improve efficiency by using a lighter rotor. 4D1/4D2 are sort of intermediate motors with stuff from the past and future.

You are right.

A professional Thai sport driver tested the new m3p (LG) on the track, and compared the times to more than 100 performance cars.

There were two different loops, a short one (with lots of turns and no ability to reach very high speed) and a long loop.

On the short loop, the new LG m3p reached 6th place (tied with Porsche 911 Carrera type 992 that came at number #5).

But, on the long loop, where much higher speeds can be reached, it came out #12. Still a good place (out of more than 100 performance cars he tested), but the inability of the new m3p LG to accelerate hard at higher speeds, hindered its place here).

It needs to be taken into account that the new m3p was tested in light rain, and the track was damp.

You can see the test here, starting at 1:10:33. Table for short loop results can be seen at 1:29:54. Table for long loop results at 1:32:49. He goes through the entire list of more than 100 cars for every loop.

Meaningless tests. Different conditions for different cars and no test equipment of any sort visible. At least use a performance meter for the brake testing!
If you're going to compare lap/slalom times, each lap has to be driven consistently and in the same conditions.
The "long loop" isn't high speed by any stretch of the imagination. Even on tracks where we're getting up to 120mph, a M3P will be up there with the very fastest road cars. It's on the bigger tracks like Silverstone in the UK where we have a disadvantage against fast ICE cars, but the track shown there is more like a kart track than a proper circuit.

Reactions: Lolo780
That would have required a new battery pack and at that point its not really a model 3 highland anymore. As it is, the current motors are more capable of what the packs can provide, pano or lg.

The bottleneck of the new m3p is *not* the motors. Not at all. The motors are capable of producing a whopping 620 hp (!!) on a lightweight 1840kg car - a killer combo. Problem: The primitive, ill designed LG battery can only supply 460 hp and the Panasonic can supply 510.
People really need to stop saying 460/510. It's just flat out incorrect. I know that's what Tesla says on the website. It is NOT correct.

The real figures are 555hp/580hp~

I get why random's on the street might be misinformed but comon, you guys are supposed to be the informed!

Please read carefully - when did I say we should "trust: the one with the slope. My point is I trust valid dragy results more than what you said time measured at the track (there could be slope too with different track but not told by time slip). There is a reason why it is called a valid dragy result (less than 1% downslope). On the other hand, this just shows how the car performs on a daily life normal road, of which the data is more useful to me.
The real track, perfectly horizontal, was also with a dragy, and showed lesser results, so I don't see your point why we should "trust" the one with the slope..

I trust dragy valid result more than you say call time measured at "real track". Downhill? Sure, it's -0.57% so negligible in a quarter mile.

The real track, perfectly horizontal, was also with a dragy, and showed lesser results, so I don't see your point why we should "trust" the one with the slope...
And there could well be over other factors results in lesser result (SOC, battery temp, wind and driver weights etc). All in all, I do not care if the car runs on a prepped surface or normal road, as long as the dragy shows a valid result, I would then trust it.