Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Keyfob updated on Tesla shop to include passive entry

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got mine. Seems to work pretty well. Opening the door or trunk isn’t instantaneous. Like maybe 1/2 second client to 1 second lag. Overall I’m pretty happy with it since it seems 100% reliable from my testing. Also walk away to lock works with it.

Side note. I’m sure they changed the bottom label from “Model 3” to “Tesla” so they can use the same fob for the Model Y.

Just got mine. Seems to work pretty well. Opening the door or trunk isn’t instantaneous. Like maybe 1/2 second client to 1 second lag. Overall I’m pretty happy with it since it seems 100% reliable from my testing. Also walk away to lock works with it.

Side note. I’m sure they changed the bottom label from “Model 3” to “Tesla” so they can use the same fob for the Model Y.

So is it a Bluetooth connection? I wonder how long the battery life is with this thing.

I get the door opening and locking as you walk and walk away but what I really want to know is...
if you are in the car for awhile with the fob (and no phone) does it stop the car from asking you to tap a keycard in order to put it into "gear" and drive?

They do. And the system keeps getting hacked. That's why they added pin to drive as a second layer of security to prevent cars from getting stolen.

Not accurate. A relay attack makes the key look like it is close to the car so the car thinks the owner is there.

All vendors as far as I know are somewhat vulnerable to these attacks.

Not accurate. A relay attack makes the key look like it is close to the car so the car thinks the owner is there.

All vendors as far as I know are somewhat vulnerable to these attacks.

From what I've read the Model S key system has actually been hacked, not just range extending the fob. All cars with keyless entry are somewhat susceptible to the key fob signal extender venerability. But this was something different, and prompted Tesla to add the pin to drive system as a secondary level of security.

I get the door opening and locking as you walk and walk away but what I really want to know is...
if you are in the car for awhile with the fob (and no phone) does it stop the car from asking you to tap a keycard in order to put it into "gear" and drive?

I tried this today. Sat in the car and watched some sentry videos along with a little bit of YouTube. Probably about 20 minutes total. I then stepped on the brake pedal - headlights turned on and I was allowed to shift into reverse without placing the fob behind the cup holders. I did not have my phone with me.

So I have looked in my vehicle settings, I don't see the option to disable passive entry. Is that something that shows up after pairing the new fob?

I didn't see any option to disable the passive entry, but I also wasn't looking for it either. I just paired and named the fob. I will check later today.... Is your new fob scheduled to be delivered soon ?