Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 LR for LONG daily commute?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Final quote, $3k for the 240v as the closest breaker isn't close.

Looking at 3 other options: 1) There were plans for a gate near a parking lot but those died...meaning there's electricity, 2) If the parking lot light is 240v, can it be bridged to be used during the day when the light isnt needed, or 3) A 112v can easily be added to but that would be the last resort.

I know a lot of people like them, and I'm going to genuinely try not to take this thread into the realm of "RTJ whines about the seats more", but there's a twofold problem with the seats for me:

1. The available adjustments are inadequate, namely the fact that there's no adjustable under-thigh support.
2. The range of the available adjustments is also inadequate. #1 can be somewhat compensated for in many cars by bringing the seat a bit further forward and tilting the hell out of the squab (seat bottom) backwards to shift the weight distribution on the cushion to take the pressure off of the front. Unfortunately, Tesla decided to build the seats without the ability to tilt the squab very far.

(also not related to simply fitting in the seats comfortably: WHERE'S THE F'ING COOLED SEAT OPTION FOR THE 3/Y, ELON? C'MON!)
Yeah this just sounds so uncomfortable to me. The seats in a Y I tested were quite comfy, but there weren't many adjustments either. The minimum car I would do that commute in would be a Taycan. :p

CFO of a hospital? How about a 2021 LR Model S? That has over 400 miles of range. Not that you can easily get your hands on one.

Otherwise, if you are being frugal (not CHEAP), how about a slightly used Prius. You'll kill the warranty in the Tesla pretty darned quick and the Toyota should get 60 mpg on 87. Overall cost will be much lower.

Reactions: coleAK

Looking at 3 other options: 1) There were plans for a gate near a parking lot but those died...meaning there's electricity, 2) If the parking lot light is 240v, can it be bridged to be used during the day when the light isnt needed, or 3) A 112v can easily be added to but that would be the last resort.

Its only $3k and can be approved at your level in a hospital right. It seems like a trivial expenditure.

IDK. Good seats don’t need a lot of adjustments... and all of the adjustments I’m the world don’t help a bad seat.

Tesla seems to have done a great job selecting seats. Firm, supportive, comfortable... sporty but not huge bolsters that hold you in. Supports a range of body styles.

Could there be a few more adjustments? Sure! But overall... I think they did great.

You lost me at sporty. My grandma's rocking chair has more sporty bolstering than a Model 3. Seriously, I have a roundabout at the front of my neighborhood that I hit every day at about 30 MPH and in my Model 3 it's hang on for dear life, but even in my wife's Cayenne I don't notice a thing.

Reactions: JDMerica and Phlier
It's negligent you haven't installed a paid public / private charging station prior to now. Most businesses of this size have multiple options for charging. Environmentally, employee retention, cost conscious (facilities vehicles?), visitor infrastructure, board member requested - the justifications are easily available.

Reactions: designrs

Its only $3k and can be approved at your level in a hospital right. It seems like a trivial expenditure.
FWIW, I agree with Apprunner. If you're going to be driving a Tesla for the long haul, eventually that installation is going to pay for itself in fuel savings.

And isn't there some sort of federal tax break for installing an electric vehicle charging spot that your hospital could take advantage of?

Hospital patients might appreciate a charging spot or two, as well. ;)

FWIW, I agree with Apprunner. If you're going to be driving a Tesla for the long haul, eventually that installation is going to pay for itself in fuel savings.

And isn't there some sort of federal tax break for installing an electric vehicle charging spot that your hospital could take advantage of?

Hospital patients might appreciate a charging spot or two, as well. ;)

There are hospitals out here where I am that have L2 charging stations in the general parking lot, so I dont think it would out of bounds to investigate charging in general at this OPs hospital.

Reactions: Phlier and Big Earl
As someone who drives a ridiculous amount each year (50k), buy a Prius. I have a 2007 with 495k miles and a 2017 Prius Prime with 175k miles. I get 70 mpg with the Prime without plugging it in. I also spend four hours a day commuting to work (lawyer, now teaching physics, get home now at 5:00, not 10:00!). My idea of a good time would not be stopping on my way home.

That said, I'm here on a Tesla forum. I will always have a Prius to use to commute, but I want a Tesla for a few days per week. I can't see 50k per year on a Tesla. So, buy a Tesla and a Prius Prime!

Reactions: DurkaDurka
I’m in Alaska and In our 2018 LR AWD I can easily do Talkeetna and back on a single charge ~260 miles round trip. Even in the fall with temps in the 20’sF. That is with cruse control at 55-60 half the way and 65 mph the other half. Good thing because there is Nowhere to charge during the trip other then a campground that is only open June-mid sept.

what others have said in FL rain will contribute to a large range hit. Can you plug in at work? Even to a 110? From the SC map looks like every highway in and out of Jacksonville has more then plenty of chargers all over the place.

Reactions: designrs

The lights in a commercial parking lot may be 277V. Not sure if the chargers Tesla uses now will accept 277V the early ones the Model S used did not sure about the more recent cars though.

Reactions: Needsdecaf
If the objective is make the commute fast (75ish with no stops), pleasurable (some latitude to multi task, driver assist), reduce fuel cost, and *maybe* have car able to drive itself at some point... 3LR with AP + FSD + level 2 charger at work is the ticket. IMO if you go to hybrid or more efficient ICE, it will disappoint over the car’s lifetime. Convince the CFO!!