Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Only 1 Screen Officially

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Dragon capsule uses three big pull-down screens to operate, monitor and navigate. They get folded away when impact issues (or the need for more open living space) might arise. We don't have that option in a vehicle operating in a gravity-rich environment and experiencing continuous (and highly variable) G-loadings. Including occasional (and inevitable) high-G impacts. So while it may be technically legal to display everything on that one screen, mounting it on a stalk sturdy enough to resist everyday breakage, with sharp, square corners is unlikely to pass cabin crashworthiness regs.
Robin

Garlan, there has been endless speculation about that. My opinion, which I have posted multiple times, is that the Model 3 "spaceship controls" that Elon mysteriously tweeted about almost a year ago, will be a Model 3 option and will first be made available on the S/X. I do not think of the S/X as being a "test bed" for the 3. Elon has stated several times that the S/X will always get the latest and greatest features before the lower priced Tesla models do.

The center display will remain, but something will change on the driver's side. I do not know what the change will consist of, obviously. Speculation has been rampant.

It might be too late to introduce the new M3 features on the MS as a ...... ( whatever Elon meant ) or "test bed". Or maybe Elon has abandoned the statement he made over and over: the S/X will always get the latest and greatest features before the lower priced Tesla models do.

Some folks believe that the M3's new feature will be HUD. I'm waiting to see HUD on a MS or MX.

You'll learn to look at the middle of the dash, just like some Prius drivers and Mini drivers have to.
Yep, and, after 10 years of doing it, I can tell you unequivocally, it sucks. I've only met a couple of Mini drivers who like the center-mounted speedo, and it's usually because they think it's "cute", or something inane like that. From a functionally/ergonomic standpoint, it sucks.

Honestly, without at least a HUD, I'd seriously consider just keeping my S. I don't really care about FSD. At least not until senility sets in.

But hey, if it's a dealbreaker, by all means, jump out of line. I'm trying to move up.
You're already ahead of me. Remember, I got out of line at Natick and went to the end when my friend showed up late. ;)

So the AP info is going to be on the center screen? That doesn't sound right. I vote HUD.

Could also be voice-activated.

Maybe we get a web interface we can access in-car, or on our phone, or on our PC.....and we enter an address and tag it.

Then you sit in the car, press a button on the steering wheel to interact with it, and tell it "Bring me to Work".

All things we don't know yet, but are very possible, considering Alexa/Google Home/Siri/Cortana voice-activated AI's and the arrival of FSD.

With almost 4,000 people having put down $1,000 with Tesla for a car they have never driven (or even touched) but have only seen photos of (and only a few hundred have sat in one), a car with a single center mounted display that is not flush with the dash, and knowing very few details about the vehicle, it appears that the Model 3 will in fact be a "hot seller". It appears that you will not be a buyer since the center display will not be flush with the dash according to the test drivers , that is your choice of course.

So not only does Tesla seriously think the Model 3 interior design is going to sell well, but the available evidence (number of reservations) supports that view.

First of all, "4,000" cars is not a hot seller. Secondly, none of the 400k have actually ordered the car yet. Lastly, you don't know how the final interior will actually look. So simmer down.

Inarguable truth: If the interior doesn't change substantially, many people will not buy it. People aren't going to pay entry level luxury prices for a barren interior with a center screen that oddly and unsafely juts out at you and a lack of standard binnacle or hud.

That's just common sense.

I believe that Tesla will refine the interior. Nice finishes (or at least S/X-level, ie, adequate). A flush, integrated center display.

I'm not sure they'll incorporate a hud, though, and they've been pretty clear about no binnacle. If they don't add either - but they at least refine and improve the rest of the interior - we'll have to see how buyers respond to it.

I tend to think all of the info on the center screen is rather dumb. There's no way looking down and to the right is safer than looking only down at a regular binnacle.

First of all, "4,000" cars is not a hot seller. Secondly, none of the 400k have actually ordered the car yet. Lastly, you don't know how the final interior will actually look. So simmer down.

Inarguable truth: If the interior doesn't change substantially, many people will not buy it. People aren't going to pay entry level luxury prices for a barren interior with a center screen that oddly and unsafely juts out at you and a lack of standard binnacle or hud.

That's just common sense.

I believe that Tesla will refine the interior. Nice finishes (or at least S/X-level, ie, adequate). A flush, integrated center display.

I'm not sure they'll incorporate a hud, though, and they've been pretty clear about no binnacle. If they don't add either - but they at least refine and improve the rest of the interior - we'll have to see how buyers respond to it.

I tend to think all of the info on the center screen is rather dumb. There's no way looking down and to the right is safer than looking only down at a regular binnacle.

In the automobile industry, it's almost a certainty that the interior you're shown in an Alpha prototype is either outlandishly futuristic, or completely barren compared to what actually makes it to Production.

I wouldn't worry about the interior, other than the center screen....I'm ok with it...as long as it's flush-mounted in the dash. I'm not a fan of it "dangling" as it currently gets shown as.

Nooooo!!!! The last thing I want to do is argue with my car about what I want it to do.

Me: "Car, take me home"
Car: "Navigating to Nome, Alaska..."

I would hope it asks for a confirmation. LOL.

You might be able to input from the center screen or your phone too.

I imagine if we get to FSD, without the legal requirement that we're in the car, the Summon feature is going to have to be beefed up quite a bit.

Yep, and, after 10 years of doing it, I can tell you unequivocally, it sucks. I've only met a couple of Mini drivers who like the center-mounted speedo, and it's usually because they think it's "cute", or something inane like that. From a functionally/ergonomic standpoint, it sucks.

Can you explain how the center speedo sucks in the Prius? The only time I even think about it having a central display is when people mention central displays.

Reactions: N5329K
One possibility that no-one here has mentioned: Yes, there will be only one *screen*, but how about that they just put up an old-time analog instrument cluster in front of the driver? Not a big one like most manufactures does, but just one small simple one with the most critical information, like speed, charge (just a simple one like the old fuel gauge was), light/high-beam status, turn signal indicator and some warning lights (Oil lamp! ;) ).

This would work for me. Musk said "fewer bells and whistles." I like simple. No second screen, but some plain old lights and dials for the important stuff like speed, high beams, turn signals, kW draw or regen.

... What do "spaceship" steering controls mean? I have no idea since very few have been built, except that spaceships don't need a HUD because you don't steer a spaceship by looking out the window!

Spaceships also don't have steering wheels, turn signals, or pedals. Clearly, Musk was being poetic when he compared the Model 3 interior to a spaceship. Oh, and spaceships don't have windows that roll down. ;)

This car's gonna sell like hotcakes no matter what they do with the interior. Some people will be happier or less happy, depending on how well they design it for utility, comfort, and convenience, as opposed to just trying to make it look "futuristic." And you can bet that they're getting lots of feedback on the question of instrument location. I don't know if they read this board, but there are people talking back at them.

Reactions: Model 3
You guys are ridiculous.

Of course there will be no HUD. Elon said "a few more things", I know exactly what he means

wait for it...

drum roll...

They're getting rid of the tiny 15" display, and changing the windshield to be a huge 72" touch screen display. All for $35,000 ;)

aka Tesla Glass
aka Tesla Vision

Last edited:
Here's my thought:

They're going to flush-mount the center(/only) screen and tilt it towards the driver...or person in the driver's seat.

I think it will be similar to what Honda has done in the newer Civics.

Ignore the screen above the dash, we're not getting that. I'm just talking about the center screen here.

Attachments

• 2017-Honda-Civic-interior.jpg
    2017-Honda-Civic-interior.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 91
I suppose the concept that the MS and MX is a test bed for the M3.

Looks like the M3 will have new and exclusive technology.

Or - Are they going to roll out a single screen concept on the MS or MX soon?
Having a single screen instead of two is not "new and exclusive" it's just simpler and less expensive.

Garlan, there has been endless speculation about that. My opinion, which I have posted multiple times, is that the Model 3 "spaceship controls" that Elon mysteriously tweeted about almost a year ago, will be a Model 3 option and will first be made available on the S/X. I do not think of the S/X as being a "test bed" for the 3. Elon has stated several times that the S/X will always get the latest and greatest features before the lower priced Tesla models do.

The center display will remain, but something will change on the driver's side. I do not know what the change will consist of, obviously. Speculation has been rampant.
I agree, whatever it is that is that will be in the Model 3 will be on the S and X first. I'd be willing to go so far as to speculate that the reveal Elon hinted at as happening in the spring (in the next month or two) may be where they reveal the HUD that will be produced for the S and X. They just aren't mentioning it until they are ready or everyone will stop ordering the S and X until the new tech is standard.

Reactions: Railhawk52