Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Paint (Ice Scraper Damage)

Scraped paint off with a plastic ice scraper on my Model 3, is this:

• duh, expected (why would you ever touch your car with a plastic ice scraper!)

Votes: 77 83.7%
  • surprising (but some cars are just like this)

Votes: 7 7.6%
  • totally unexpected (wouldn't imagine that happening, or you do it to your own car all the time)

Votes: 8 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry that happened. I have never scrapped ice off the paint, I will just preheat the car. Tesla does have soft paint (as do Fords, Hyundais, and others) so it is easier to scratch. Merc does have harder clearcoat.

as for how you should feel? Well, it sucks, but it can be fixed. If that is the worst thing to happen to you this year, that will be a good thing.

• Love
Reactions: To3OrNotTo3
Stop making excuses for Tesla’s paint quality.

Rub a plastic scraper over a BMW and over a Tesla. Let us know how it looks.

I’m not making excuses for Tesla’s paint. In fact, none of my posts says anything about it. It’s common sense, plastic scraper to paint = bad. Automatic car washes = swirl marks. Oxidation happens as well. The other high end cars might have better quality paint, but why do you think people still get their cars ceramic coated? Because they think the paint on their cars are invincible?
I already said I hesitant to even put a snow brush on any paint. If you like, you can put your ice scraper on your paint. I don’t care. I like to take care of my things.

Reactions: XPsionic
You should be hating on Tesla for this. Have you ever owned another vehicle where this was an issue? Ever owned a $60K+ vehicle where this was an issue?

Im guessing the answer to both is “no”. Don’t give them a pass for putting out a shoddy product.

Here’s a $80K car that I used to own. Noticed the scratches on the hood? You think expensive cars can’t get scratched up?

20DBFA1E-6E7B-4AD0-AB14-8A0B01BD9B09.jpeg

Stop making excuses for Tesla’s paint quality.

Rub a plastic scraper over a BMW and over a Tesla. Let us know how it looks.
Lol, no one will do that on purpose if they value their car's finish.

It's pretty easy to google examples where people scratched their car from using a ice scraper on the Audi/BMW/Mercedes forums. And if you search a bit you will see plenty of threads that people suggest against using anything that has a chance of scratching the paint when removing snow (some say don't do it at all on the car body, just do it on the windshield). At most a soft brush is suggested (with warning even that might scratch the paint if there is dirt).
Help!!! - Car Scratches from Ice Scraper on Roof - any suggestions on products to use? - AudiWorld Forums
Paint & Chrome care
Black marks on my bimmer

If you see anywhere that actually recommends using a hard ice scraper (plastic or otherwise) on painted surfaces I'd like to see it.

Last edited:
Reactions: XPsionic
Oh come on. I live in Chicago, so I'm no stranger to snow. There is no way that enough snow gets piled on a car, that it impedes the vision of another driver. That's ludicrous. I mean it snows for crying out loud. So a little more flurries that come off your car as you drive for the first 500 feet, isn't going to affect anyone. The video above, of the truck, is not exactly an apples to apples comparison.

Oh come on. I live in Chicago, so I'm no stranger to snow. There is no way that enough snow gets piled on a car, that it impedes the vision of another driver. That's ludicrous. I mean it snows for crying out loud. So a little more flurries that come off your car as you drive for the first 500 feet, isn't going to affect anyone. The video above, of the truck, is not exactly an apples to apples comparison.

People have been killed by flying sheets of ice coming off vehicles. Don’t be negligent — clear your car.

Man injured by flying ice issues plea: clear off your car completely | Ottawa Citizen

OK for those who do want to use a hammer, or rubber mallet .
I have seen people use car covers, news paper, plastic rubbish sacks,
car ports, tents, blankets, kiddie pools, cardboard boxes and some of
us pre-heat the car as well.. My solution is just to call in sick. Sometimes I
just say I am a sissy and dont drive on white roads, bosses love that.

What are we talking about.