Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance/Ludicrous Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Someone made a good point in the Facebook group. The Model Y 0.99% Finance deal ends tomorrow so hopefully we see things start to pick up again for our cars.

Wishful thinking but that's all I have these days 🤣
The ability to order using this deal ends tomorrow. Given it takes time to get a VIN and then to take delivery, my guess is they are estimating that actually delivering these Model Ys will take them through the end of June.

Obviously the square setup is ideal for rotations/cost/simplicity, but I would personally advise against deviating from the staggered setup that comes stock on this new car. I can't find the post, but I recall seeing one of the early deliveries mentioning that the car "started to lose traction." They didn't mention rain or coming out of a corner. If this is true (i.e., the new M3P has so much power that it slips a bit from a straight line pull in dry conditions), then you'll definitely need the 275's in the back. As a side note, if this car actually "slips" at all then it'll be a huge disappointment. Did they design this with *too much* power? The outgoing M3P was absolutely perfect in this category. I've literally *never* felt the car slip from a launch in dry conditions---never! What's the point of this much power if it can't be translated properly? There's a reason why I don't own a RWD V8. LOL. On the other hand, you could consider going with a 275 square setup. However, I also recall seeing a Tesla video where they said that the 235/275 setup was designed/selected for a specific reason (though I could be wrong). Perhaps the front 235's are better for coming out of corners and steering feel/weight.

On another note, I can't find the post at the moment, but a few forum members were debating the winter/summer/all-season tire issue. I live in a rural-ish area of AZ and temps range from 20 degrees to 120+ degrees. I've *always* run summer only tires and have never had an issue with traction and/or compound cracking from the cold weather. Granted, I always keep my car in the garage in the winter. I think leaving the car outside in below 30 degree conditions could cause some issues if the car sits for extended periods. But otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it. I've even taken my summer tires in snow conditions up into the mountains in Northern AZ, albeit briefly. Unless we are talking constant snowy conditions, I think *most* of us, even those in cold weather (below 30 temps) can safely run summer tires all year. The benefit is a much stickier tire and amazing traction, which, as I stated above, seems to be a necessity on this new model. A friend of mine has the all-season tires that come with the Model Y performance (Hankook Ion Evo) with a 540 treadwear rating. I was surprised that the car sticks consistently from a launch with 540s! I would never go any higher than a 300 rating on a performance car. The MYP is heavier and runs the 0-60 in the 3.5 range, so that could also be part of the equation for why this setup works. The MYP is also staggered from the factory. :)
Please disregard most every word in this post! Not trying to be disrespectful but your advise is I’ll advised…it may work for you, but I assure you it is counter logic to common known tire knowledge.

The special financing for the MY was Teslas way to get rid of the inventory they had in stock and to entice M3 customers to change to a MY due to the backlog. Prior to this, they were offering the MY for up to $6k off. Musk stepped in and changed that mid April. To meet/exceed goals for the quarter they are going to push out as much as possible which means send out closest to the factories. It's all business while pissing off the ones that are sticking to their guns with the M3. All about appeasing shareholders in hopes to bring Tesla stock back to 230-250 range next quarter.
I agree that this is the logic they are using. However, prioritizing short-term gains at the expense of long-term value/growth is a quintessentially American corporate problem. Consider Toyota vs. GM and how they handled the Great Recession. GM prioritized short-term shareholder gains at the expense of quality (going back to CEO Roger Smith's cost-cutting measures, such as outsourcing, in the 1980s), while Toyota focused on long-term strategic growth and quality. This is partially why GM needed to be bailed out in 2008-2009 at the expense of the taxpayer and Toyota was much more sound. Tesla can pump up MY sales at the expense of M3P customers, but they risk alienating some of their repeat client base. I think we can all agree that a much larger percentage of 2024 M3P customers are repeat buyers/loyalists compared to 2024 MY customers. My point is that there needs to be a balance.

Please disregard most every word in this post! Not trying to be disrespectful but your advise is I’ll advised…it may work for you, but I assure you it is counter logic to common known tire knowledge.
That's fine. Your opinion is respected as well. You could be a bit more specific, though. If you're referring to the tire choice debate, I agree that it is all contingent on local conditions. As I stated, in AZ, summer tires work fine for me, and have for years with no issues, even in somewhat cold temperatures (not snowy conditions). I would assume that if someone lives in extreme weather conditions, then they would take this into account as they make their decision.

That's a fair point. However, if Tesla would simply list the EDD as the *worst case* scenario and not move the date forward and backward randomly without any logical reason, then we could make more informed decisions. I can't imagine someone not on this forum being absolutely confused as to when they'll get their car and when to make specific decisions (finance, trade-in, vacations, etc.).

One of the issues with a fast moving thread like this, is that things said (even things said multiple times) get lost, pretty quickly. i agree that its almost impossible to make any sort of decisions whatsoever based on the estimated delivery date as it currently stands.

A long time ago, Tesla didnt offer one at all. I am not sure which is better (no date, or a date that is obviously moving around based on some algorithm that makes no sense to anyone who cant see the underlying data and rules), but I agree 1000% that no one can make any concrete decisions based on those dates, and have been trying to tell people in the thread this since I started participating in this particular thread.

About using summer tires in cold temps, like below 40 or 30 Fahrenheit...
I have read where people are saying it's fine, but you won't have as much traction for acceleration. There is also less traction for stopping and swerving! The feel of my Michelin PS4s in 35-40 degrees feels like a bad idea to me. It was similar for some P-Zeros I had years ago. Make your on decisions, but please consider that your ability to avoid accidents will be lessened.

About using summer tires in cold temps, like below 40 or 30 Fahrenheit...
I have read where people are saying it's fine, but you won't have as much traction for acceleration. There is also less traction for stopping and swerving! The feel of my Michelin PS4s in 35-40 degrees feels like a bad idea to me. It was similar for some P-Zeros I had years ago. Make your on decisions, but please consider that your ability to avoid accidents will be lessened.
Man, you guys all sound like your commutes are on a race track lol. Is this a concern for just regular steady acceleration and steady braking driving?

Man, you guys all sound like your commutes are on a race track lol. Is this a concern for just regular steady acceleration and steady braking driving?
*own
I wonder When I will be able to edit my posts.
I'm speaking purely from an accident avoidance perspective. Even in calm driving people sometimes need to stop as quickly as possible.
... at least I sure have.

Reactions: Gasaraki