Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance/Ludicrous Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most people do not care enough to pay for ppf, and will be fine with touch up paint. Ceramic coatings do not belong in the same convo and it’s better to think of them as semi-permanent wax.

Reasons to get ppf:
  • Change up the look. Besides stealth/satin, there are also color infused ppf options now so you don’t have to opt for weak vinyl to change the color.
  • A film is the only real protection against road debris.
  • Washing the car is a breeze. It’s fast and you don’t have to worry about proper wash technique. Rinseless washes are easy.
What ppf will not do:
  • Make your car invincible. You still need to give trucks and commercial vehicles a wide berth.
  • Doesn’t really add any value for a car dealer.
  • Make financial sense. The ev market is a mess tbh and this car along with your pricey ppf will depreciate just like all previous teslas.
Anyway, if I get this car ppf will be one of the first things I do.
I was going to PPF but then I heard bugs will damage it and it was just too expensive. $7000 is not something I want to spend. (this is a full matte car wrap)

Last edited:
I was going to PPF but then I heard bugs will damage it and it was just too expensive. $7000 is not something I want to spend.

Bugs will damage it? The misinformation that's out there is insane, lol.

I've had PPF on every car I've owned for the last 10-15 years and only once has the PPF taken any real damage. Also, that nickle sized damage to the PPF saved my entire bumper from being repainted. The PPF out there today is incredibly resilient and in most cases, self-healing.

It’s on like Donkey Kong! I got a VIN in Raleigh NC. Delivery in 2-3 weeks. Red with Black interior.

I have two sets of spare wheels to try on it. I have 18x8.5 wheels and 20x9.0 wheels. Both sets are square and both have standard sized Hankook iON EVO AS tires on them.

View attachment 1052249

Congrats! I know someone will be showing up for delivery with a dragy in hand.

Bugs will damage it? The misinformation that's out there is insane, lol.

I've had PPF on every car I've owned for the last 10-15 years and only once has the PPF taken any real damage. Also, that nickle sized damage to the PPF saved my entire bumper from being repainted. The PPF out there today is incredibly resilient and in most cases, self-healing.
Bug bodies are acidic. I recently drive through a *sugar* ton of bugs at night and you can hear them hitting the glass like little hail. I got home and looked at the front and it was a massacre. Then I thought, what if I had PPF, I would have to have washed my car in the dead of night to clean it before it sets.

Bug bodies are acidic. I recently drive through a *sugar* ton of bugs at night and you can hear them hitting the glass like little hail. I got home and looked at the front and it was a massacre. Then I thought, what if I had PPF, I would have to have washed my car in the dead of night to clean it before it sets.

Lol. Yeah in 4 years of running ppf I have never had a bug blemish it let alone eat through it. Think Ive probably hit a few in that time. Besides what do you think those bugs are doing to your clearcoat?

Last edited:
If you leave dead bugs/poop on any surface (paint, wax, ceramic coating, ppf), the acidic substances can eventually cause some etching. Ouch that's NY pricing
Ordered UR/B on 4/23. Prior to today, EDD was May 30 to June 9. Switched to June 10 - June 30 today. Still no VIN. Delivery is to be in Bay Area.
Made no changes to order since it was originally placed.

I agree. I have no animosity toward those out west: makes sense they'd get their cars first as they are closer to the factory. What I do object to is 1 week EDDs that just continue to slide daily and not get any closer when you have a VIN and have been told the car should be at the local delivery location sitting on the lot.

Unconfirmed sources say they’re using your car for demo. The seat bolsters are gonna be all loosey goosey by the time you sit in it. It'll be ok just don't sniff the seat before you wipe it down with an apc. Those are 15 hard miles on the odometer. 😀

My car is also sitting somewhere for a few days. Allegedly.

Well, as I mentioned, I prefer a square setup for cost/simplicity, but Tesla went with the staggered 235/275 setup for a specific reason. Here's what Tesla has to say about it. If you utilize the calculator (linked below) and input the variables for both tires, you'll find that the total contact area increases from 278.39 CM2 to 333.54 CM2. Switching to a square setup and a narrower tire in the rear, I believe, will reduce traction and performance. I'll stick to what the engineers put on the car.

Attachments

• IMG_5712.jpeg
    IMG_5712.jpeg
    308.4 KB · Views: 9
  • Tire Input data.png
    Tire Input data.png
    89.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Tire comparison.png
    Tire comparison.png
    138.4 KB · Views: 3

This is just copium. Leave those bugs on your paint for an extended period and let me know what happens.

I was going to PPF but then I heard bugs will damage it and it was just too expensive. $7000 is not something I want to spend.

It’s fine if someone doesn’t want to spend the money and/or can’t afford it, but don’t spread crazy misinformation about bugs damaging it, lol.

I had a literal golf ball sized stone bounce off my hood and after a little wax to the PPF there was zero damage anywhere.

• Disagree
Reactions: Gasaraki
No VIN and I’m still getting excited. Got sorted with my tint/PPF guy and he’s going to get me some protection for the 1.5 hours from the delivery site to his shop. Then I’ve got all the gear to start taking detailing seriously and I’m going to ceramic coat it top to bottom. Going to be fun!
I started out with trying all of the big name brands of the ceramic coating stuff on my M3LR, but what I found was the RainX waterless car wash stuff works just as well, at a fraction of the cost and the amount of time needed. I use it exclusively on all of my vehicles now.

• Informative
Reactions: Andrés Ornelas