Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance/Ludicrous Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
had my EDD pulled in from 6/26-6/30 to 6/21-6/30. in denver, ordered 4/27

You and I have been neck and neck. Mine also pulled in from 6/26-6/30 to 6/19-6/30. Still no VINs though so let’s hope it sticks.
Mine shifted to 6/18 - 6/30 a few days ago (from 7/12 - 8/16).
Looks like we have several Colorado EDDs in this range. Liking this trend . . . .

No VIN update today, but no delay for me yet either.

Inventory seems to have disappeared. Used to see some showing up in SoCal, Stockton, or Bakersfield but nothing for at least a week now. That suggests a major slowdown in production.
Something is up. They have the capability of producing WAY more M3Ps than this if they wanted to. They are either focusing on other things to hit end of quarter sales like offloading MY 0.99 sales, or something in the production line is causing a serious slow down in M3P.

Something is up. They have the capability of producing WAY more M3Ps than this if they wanted to. They are either focusing on other things to hit end of quarter sales like offloading MY 0.99 sales, or something in the production line is causing a serious slow down in M3P.
Hang on Everyone... I'll ask my local Sales Advisor they will have the lowdown 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂

Not sure about the other items, but the MY volume should have little to nothing to do with M3P production (or lackthereof). There's really no cross-pollination at all between the MY and Highland M3.

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
Not sure about the other items, but the MY volume should have little to nothing to do with M3P production (or lackthereof). There's really no cross-pollination at all between the MY and Highland M3.
Sorry should have clarified. Maybe not directly affecting it in production regards, but they could be focusing all their staff/efforts on offloading recent MY sales which they still have to ship those cars and have staff to deliver these.

The more other cars they have to ship/delivery the less room there is for new M3P. So it likely could cause some type of bottleneck situation where there’s no reason to mass produce M3P right now if they can’t ship them out and deliver them.

There is already some data indicating that Tesla has produced far more cars in Q2 than they ever have in any other quarter before. However, they may not have sold/delivered all of those cars yet. It is entirely possible that Tesla has met their production goals for the quarter but they haven't met their delivered goals.

If that is the case then perhaps they are slowing production down to focus on optimizing the lines for next quarter. They could be cutting costs or increasing efficiency or a little bit of both right now. Meanwhile they are just simply shipping cars to locations that are close by and have a guaranteed sale.

Units produced and units delivered are both metrics that Tesla cares deeply about. From the data I have seen they have blown the units produced metric out of the water. The units delivered remains to be seen.

I imagine that VIN assignments will start again once Q3 has begun. Until then the closer you are to the plant the more likely you are to get a car in June.

My car is said to be delivered in Raleigh NC tomorrow but I have had a VIN for a couple weeks now.

Sorry should have clarified. Maybe not directly affecting it in production regards, but they could be focusing all their staff/efforts on offloading recent MY sales which they still have to ship those cars and have staff to deliver these.

The more other cars they have to ship/delivery the less room there is for new M3P. So it likely could cause some type of bottleneck situation where there’s no reason to mass produce M3P right now if they can’t ship them out and deliver them.
The overall logistics might be tied up given the massive MY production/delivery push, but there isn't necessarily any reason to prioritize MY over M3P production, given that the M3P is, on average, priced higher than the MY (excluding the MYP). I would think that in addition to overall production/unit figures for Q2, Tesla also cares about profit margin. If so, they should produce the MY and M3P in the order reserved, and not necessarily prioritize the MY just because of 0.99% financing bonanza. Besides, from what I understand, Tesla works out this financing with external banks, so the interest rate shouldn't factor into the equation. If for some reason, they earn some revenue from financing (perhaps a percentage, but I really don't know?), then the M3P would be prioritized, as the interest rate is far higher than what was offered recently for the MY.

There is already some data indicating that Tesla has produced far more cars in Q2 than they ever have in any other quarter before. However, they may not have sold/delivered all of those cars yet. It is entirely possible that Tesla has met their production goals for the quarter but they haven't met their delivered goals.

If that is the case then perhaps they are slowing production down to focus on optimizing the lines for next quarter. They could be cutting costs or increasing efficiency or a little bit of both right now. Meanwhile they are just simply shipping cars to locations that are close by and have a guaranteed sale.

Units produced and units delivered are both metrics that Tesla cares deeply about. From the data I have seen they have blown the units produced metric out of the water. The units delivered remains to be seen.

I imagine that VIN assignments will start again once Q3 has begun. Until then the closer you are to the plant the more likely you are to get a car in June.

My car is said to be delivered in Raleigh NC tomorrow but I have had a VIN for a couple weeks now.
That’s a good point and is likely true. Just sucks as someone anxiously awaiting to know that you’re pretty much guaranteed another 3 weeks of waiting just so they can make their numbers look pretty lol. There are still so many day 1 orders without VINs (on the tracker alone). If they’re not to start producing those cars/Vins till beginning of Q3, then I hate to see how long of a wait it’s going to be for people who ordered weeks after release that don’t live on the west coast.

• Informative
Reactions: mpgxsvcd
My car is supposedly at the delivery location already but just processing my paperwork etc. Plus this is on an Indian reservation so there are things that are things done differently than a normal delivery location.
That might mean that my car is in CT at the Indian reservation lol. Hoping I can pick it up Friday because weekend might not work, guess I'm just waiting for the message.