Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance/Ludicrous Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That guy on Top Gear, I think, mentioned this as 'missing' from the M3P review he did.
That was a terrible review. Error after error. Top comment ♥️

1000015466.jpg

Last edited:
There is one thing that is for sure with the 2024 Model 3 Performance, this isn’t a limited production car. It is absolutely apparent that this is going to be a relatively high volume car considering how incredibly quick it is.

It makes no sense at all to get the LR right now if you can take advantage of the tax credit. With the money you save on the Performance model you buy a set of efficiency wheels and tires to get close to the same range.
Agree with you. However, I guess there may be some federal credit eligible buyers who may still pick a LR over the Performance trim, if they value range the most.

Base LR has 341 miles of range
Performance has 296
So, a difference of 45 miles… on paper

Base LR current costs $47,740
Performance (in std config) costs $46,490 after the credit.
So, that is a difference of $1250

A federal credit eligible buyer would get 45 miles additional range, if they go with (& pay the extra $1250) for the LR model. Might make sense for some to go this route. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: arkhos
I know most aren't into this but I would love if tesla added some driving sounds to the car. Really like what the Ioniq 5N did
Unpopular opinion follows …
Tesla is not afraid of stupid fun. As an owner, you can use it or ignore it. I have seen some reviews of the Ioniq 5N that state it is dumb, and then they drive it and like it. It’s a whole simulation, not just sound. I agree that trying to make an ICE 4-cylinder sound like a V8 is not desirable. But I’d be willing to give the Ioniq 5N experience a try. It’s just trying to be fun, not deceptive.

I haven’t seen anyone get new vins in a while either. A guy on Reddit, who had a pick up schedule for yesterday said that they had to reschedule for Saturday for a mandatory update for all the performance cars.
Hmm wonder what that update is. I wouldn’t imagine it’s just software, because they don’t need to hold back cars for that kind of an update.
Or maybe they just said that, because they were running behind.

Reactions: M3PDenver
Tesla is not afraid of stupid fun. As an owner, you can use it or ignore it. I have seen some reviews of the Ioniq 5N that state it is dumb, and then they drive it and like it. It’s a whole simulation, not just sound. I agree that trying to make an ICE 4-cylinder sound like a V8 is not desirable. But I’d be willing to give the Ioniq 5N experience a try. It’s just trying to be fun, not deceptive.

As long as it’s optional. Part of the issue with playing artificial sounds is it can interfere with the sound quality of any music you have playing at the same time. IMO the most palatable sounds are any organic ones made by the motor, which are not dissimilar to a supercharger whine.

Would it be amusing to have the external speaker emit burbles and pops like a tuned supra? Yes, because I am a child. But only if you can toggle it on/off.

Reactions: M3PDenver
I know most aren't into this but I would love if tesla added some driving sounds to the car. Really like what the Ioniq 5N did

I am firmly in the "don't make EVs sound like fart cars" camp. With that said, it's perfectly fine to have it as an option if it sells more cars. If Tesla wants to add more stuff that uses their speaker system, then please implement active road noise cancellation on the 3/Y platform.

Agree with you. However, I guess there may be some federal credit eligible buyers who may still pick a LR over the Performance trim, if they value range the most.

Performance has 296

A federal credit eligible buyer would get 45 miles additional range, if they go with (& pay the extra $1250) for the LR model. Might make sense for some to go this route. 🤷‍♂️
Or they can sell the wheels and get some smaller ones and pull the same range. The range on the LR drops from 341 with the 18” photons to 305 with the 19” novas. Selling the 20s and buying whatever crap tsportline comes out with should get your range up to 330+

fore June 1, so I'm assuming that will be the first actual delivery date.

Once you get a VIN assigned, do they automatically assign you a delivery date or do they let you pick from a few available days?
Once a VIN get assigned you get prompted to complete the pre-delivery tasks in the app. When you get to schedule portion it will give you a date range. If memory is correct I think the range is 3-5 days

Performance has 296

If you sell the Performance wheels and tires you could easily buy an efficiency setup that would get you even more range than the LR(Performance has a bigger battery) and maybe only lose a tenth or two in acceleration.

Or they can sell the wheels and get some smaller ones and pull the same range. The range on the LR drops from 341 with the 18” photons to 305 with the 19” novas. Selling the 20s and buying whatever crap tsportline comes out with should get your range up to 330+

That’s certain a possibility, but I’m guessing 99% of potential buyers who are browsing Tesla’s website and considering a purchase, are either not fully aware of the impact on range that smaller tires make and/or simply don’t want to go through the hassle of switching tire sizes.

I think it’s only the (very) few enthusiasts like us on these forums, who would actually use the above logic when buying an EV.

That’s certain a possibility, but I’m guessing 99% of potential buyers who are browsing Tesla’s website and considering a purchase, are either not fully aware of the impact on range that smaller tires make and/or simply don’t want to go through the hassle of switching tire sizes…
I think there will be some LR buyers that simply assume the Performance Model is too expensive without ever really digging into the details.

Resell values of the Highland LR cars will be positively abysmal.

I am firmly in the "don't make EVs sound like fart cars" camp. With that said, it's perfectly fine to have it as an option if it sells more cars. If Tesla wants to add more stuff that uses their speaker system, then please implement active road noise cancellation on the 3/Y platform.
Good point. I was thinking if it can be turned off, why not add it? Why not is because of wasted time developing it if almost no one will use it and for what else could that development time be used?