Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance/Ludicrous Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it was you that I said we are on the same batch. Mine got pushed ahead today as well. I’m in Boca Raton/South FL. I called my showroom center where it’s headed and had questions to make sure I was golden on all docs and the SA checked specifically at my order and said that it looks like it’s in bound and should arrive mid to late next week so I’m ball parking Thursday. You might be a day ahead or same. Basically pick up should be next weekend. If any earlier than it’s a bonus.
Hey also spoke to an SA and he checked my order, on his screen showed delivery at Jacksonville for the 4th, but my center showed the 6th, and a Need by date the 7th. Not sure how accurate it is. However extremely cool to see. Located near the Tampa bay Area

To add to what jennieR said, my .02 is that by the time when the vin is assigned to you, that process is 100% A I. driven. I've come to that conclusion because when i got my vin it was 4am on a Saturday. I know Elon works his employees to the bone, but is there really a human being at Tesla at 4am on a Saturday working some production software full of newly created unassigned vins fresh off the line and from those results sends vins out to waiting customers? I say 99% most likely not.
What does this all mean? 2 things: 1) A.I. sucks and 2) check your app at ALL hours of the day and night!!!!😂
I do believe to some degree earlier orders are being prioritized. For our area I think I had one of the earliest orders (4 minutes after launch, RN12152xxxx) and the other person who has a VIN in our area I think was early too. Pretty sure checking the app every 3 minutes is what really gave me an edge though 😂

I have to disagree with this point. While cornering performance might be a secondary benefit, the contact patch is bigger on a 275 MM tire vs. a 235 MM tire. There are some additional variables at play, such as tire pressure and load, but this shouldn't negate the 40 MM difference in contact. Here is an online calculator if you want to play around with the numbers:

Hey also spoke to an SA and he checked my order, on his screen showed delivery at Jacksonville for the 4th, but my center showed the 6th, and a Need by date the 7th. Not sure how accurate it is. However extremely cool to see. Located near the Tampa bay Area
It also said (not confident) next to the date. So fingers crossed we get it this weekend. Was kinda weird.

It's also insane how much power they have over the cars. He was showing me how he could unlock all the different cars in the area.

This is the way. Dont waste your money on PPF; it’s not worth it IMO. Especially if you get rock dings and it pierces the PPF, which isn’t that uncommon with M3 bc it’s so aerodynamic. I’ve seen countless PPF issues from *great* PPF installers on M3. Dirt gets under where the rock pierces and it looks awful. Only thing you can do is remove the PPF and do it again. No company no matter how good is going to warranty a rock ding piercing it.

A quality full body ceramic coat and ceramic tint and call it a day (I prefer XPEL). You and your wallet will thank me later 😁
Yeah I’ll counter with my own experience. Xpel stealth ppf wrap on my 2020 M3P. Have had it for over 4 years, no rock tears no problems. 42k plus miles several trips to Vegas and 1 to Salt Lake City from socal. My windshield has been peppered pretty good and has lots of pits, paint looks great. To each their own for sure, but ease of maintenance and not worrying about rocks or scratches makes it worth it to me. I will be doing stealth PPF again on my Stealth Grey when i get it. Besides, make it stand out ever so slightly from all the other “free color” model 3’s.

Attachments

• IMG_0577.jpeg
    IMG_0577.jpeg
    776.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
I think it was you that I said we are on the same batch. Mine got pushed ahead today as well. I’m in Boca Raton/South FL. I called my showroom center where it’s headed and had questions to make sure I was golden on all docs and the SA checked specifically at my order and said that it looks like it’s in bound and should arrive mid to late next week so I’m ball parking Thursday. You might be a day ahead or same. Basically pick up should be next weekend. If any earlier than it’s a bonus.
Yep, I remember that from a few dozen pages back! My SA said the car would arrive at the Orlando delivery center on 06/06, so your estimate of Thursday may be spot on. Here's hoping we're both in our shiny new rides by next weekend.

Reactions: sgtauto
Yeah I’ll counter with my own experience. Xpel stealth ppf wrap on my 2020 M3P. Have had it for over 4 years, no rock tears no problems. 42k plus miles several trips to Vegas and 1 to Salt Lake City from socal. My windshield has been peppered pretty good and has lots of pits, paint looks great. To each their own for sure, but ease of maintenance and not worrying about rocks or scratches makes it worth it to me. I will be doing stealth PPF again on my Stealth Grey when i get it. Besides, make it stand out ever so slightly from all the other “free color” model 3’s.
My car won’t be garaged, so I worry a bit about keeping the PPF clean. Any thoughts on that?

This is the way. Dont waste your money on PPF; it’s not worth it IMO. Especially if you get rock dings and it pierces the PPF, which isn’t that uncommon with M3 bc it’s so aerodynamic. I’ve seen countless PPF issues from *great* PPF installers on M3. Dirt gets under where the rock pierces and it looks awful. Only thing you can do is remove the PPF and do it again. No company no matter how good is going to warranty a rock ding piercing it.

A quality full body ceramic coat and ceramic tint and call it a day (I prefer XPEL). You and your wallet will thank me later 😁
Agree 100%. you never gonna get your moneys worth with PPF. with the worst damage to the front end, most likely bumper, just replace it.
With tints, you are actually getting some kind of benefit/use out of it, even if its just for a few years.

My car won’t be garaged, so I worry a bit about keeping the PPF clean. Any thoughts on that?
You can get ceramic over PPF, but if there are any issues it’s all gotta come off and be redone. Just ceramic alone will help keep your car super clean. PPF by itself is not much different from a cleaning perspective than just a regular untouched car.

Yeah I’m not saying bad things happen to everyone who puts PPF on a M3. It’s great you haven’t had any issues. But I can’t in good faith recommend it to anyone, especially for the cash outlay needed. YMMV

Reactions: hkarthik

I'm on the fence about this, with the same thought you have with a rock that does go through still looks bad and there is no way to fix it. Though was considering to at least do PPF on the rocker panels and at the bottom hip flair point just to give some protection against self induced rock throwing. I have a friend with an older M3P and his rocker panels paint is just destroyed.

Car is expected to arrive on Tuesday and they are taking 2-3 days at a time to respond to me in the app. They haven’t even updated my trade in quote since it expired. So frustrating. I get they are busy, but this is my second $55k purchase through them and I can’t get a response? If a dealership did this the customer would take their business elsewhere.

I'm on the fence about this, with the same thought you have with a rock that does go through still looks bad and there is no way to fix it. Though was considering to at least do PPF on the rocker panels and at the bottom hip flair point just to give some protection against self induced rock throwing. I have a friend with an older M3P and his rocker panels paint is just destroyed.
A quality PPF install is just a lot of money, even if you only do the front bumper and hood. Minimum $1,500 at a reputable place for just that. Probably $5-6k for the whole car. Tesla sells touch up paint kits for like $60 also. Everyone places value on different things but like I said, I don’t recommend PPF to anyone. Small rocker panels $50 kits sure why not.

PPF is marketed as like some super protective product but it has its drawbacks like anything else. Too many drawbacks for the $$$ IMO

Can we charge this cars battery to 100% with no issues or are we still limited to the 80% like my 2020 M3P? I thought I heard the new cars could charge all the way to 100 with no issues but maybe that was a different battery..to be honest I'm leasing this car so I personally don't care about battery deg, like my last one that I still charged to 100 but annoying part was not having regen breaking, but they fixed that eventually with having the brakes activate