Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance/Ludicrous Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah I'm really struggling if I want to spend the money to get the front bumper area PPF or not. I tend to own my cars for a minimum of 10 years and assume basically a 100% loss in value. So the only reason I would get it done is to keep the car looking nicer for myself a bit longer. But that's also spending money that could be otherwise generating me return. I feel like I'm already taking a big net worth hit just by paying cash for this car (it's most expensive car I've ever purchased). I'm really struggling with whether or not I should throw away a little more on front end PPF, or just cut my losses here.
you are one of the few wise ones. i'm only doing ppf on the bumper for $500. price was the main only reason, others were to support local small business and the shop was very knowledgeable and professional. PPF does not add value (90-99%) when you sell, especially to a dealer. normal wear and tear is factored into used vehicles! a car with a few paint chips vs the same car with zero paint ships is the same. they wholesale/auction it off immediately. FYI

They are seriously down to the wire. Looks like you entered your EDD range, got a VIN, and now waiting to schedule delivery?
Yes, I just submitted my insurance on the app. Does anyone know if submitting the current insurance that I have on my other car is good enough? I submitted it anyway. No delivery date as of yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: hkarthik
Yes, I just submitted my insurance on the app. Does anyone know if submitting the current insurance that I have on my car is good enough? I submitted it anyway. No delivery date as of yet.
Proof of your current insurance is sufficient as your current insurance carrier will cover vehicles up to 30 days after purchase. (You may want to check with your insurance company as this could vary).

Reactions: zeroifex
This is my first Tesla. What's the better way of making the down payment? A cashier's check or using the Plaid app?
Not sure if there's really a "better way"; it's all preference really. If you're comfortable doing it electronically then go thru the app. It's pretty straight forward and safe. However, you can go old school and do a cashier's check if you prefer that. Just requires some extra time to pay a separate visit to the bank.

This is my first Tesla. What's the better way of making the down payment? A cashier's check or using the Plaid app?

Depends on how you define "better".

I decided that I wanted to take a cashiers check both times for my down payment. In SoCal, Tesla had no issues taking my cashiers check from NavyFed credit union. That was much preferrable to me than using the "plaid" service which I was not familiar with. I am extremely hesitant about linking payment platforms to my financial institution.

I even opened up another account at my bank (that I keep a zero balance in most of the time) simply for being able to venmo someone money. When I need to do that, I transfer money to my "venmo" bank account (that normally has a zero balance) and the open venmo and send it.

Thats a "me" choice though, I dont want to imply there is something wrong with plaid (I dont know but I dont think there is). I just was not going to link some service for a one time payment thing if I didnt have to, and because Tesla is fine with cashiers checks drawn on known institutions, I didnt have to (link plaid).

Reactions: zeroifex
you are one of the few wise ones. i'm only doing ppf on the bumper for $500. price was the main only reason, others were to support local small business and the shop was very knowledgeable and professional. PPF does not add value (90-99%) when you sell, especially to a dealer. normal wear and tear is factored into used vehicles! a car with a few paint chips vs the same car with zero paint ships is the same. they wholesale/auction it off immediately. FYI
I'm waiting on quotes from a couple of local installers (I did a lot of research into who was the best near me). I know I for sure am at least getting ceramic coating and tint. Hopefully I can catch a good deal like you did on the PPF.

Just saw that the LR now qualifies for the 7.5k tax credit. Hope this will lower the demand for the P and speed up deliveries + bring the price back down.
We are just gonna go ahead and not tell my wife that little snippet of information. I wonder if it’s battery sourcing leniency or if they are going to start putting the Panasonic into the LR?

For those waiting, perhaps this makes you feel a wee bit better? In a flurry of activity I end up picking up my car a day after I was assigned the VIN. Great right? I was planning on having the front protected with PPF (Xpel) and had figured I would have enough time to coordinate with the installer. Due to the rush I wasn't able to schedule and now I'm waiting for them to call me back to let me know when I can bring her in. In the meantime, I want the car to stay pristine until I can protect it. Which is worse, waiting for the VIN and delivery date OR having a beauty sitting in your garage winking at you, every time you walk by to use your sons car?