Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 performance new 18 inch wheel option now avail 7/15/19

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Confirmed it’s $49,900 for white with 18” wheels. No upgraded brakes, pedals, or spoiler.
This is so legit. What a deal. I don’t want the 20s anyway...

Anyone know if Car Insurance companies treat this version as different from the regular AWD version?

I’d like to know too.

Who did you talk to? All the sales reps in Rocklin said it was a wheel swap with no price adjustment. Not that I believed them.

Wouldn’t surprise me. I haven’t had great luck with the people in Rocklin.

Can we get a group buy discount? Someone ask Elon.
My guess is shortly customers will be able to unlock the P for $2000.00 if you currently are a LR Awd owner.
Its all software. Just like you could get a P100D w out luda then pay to get it added (now free),,, its all in the hips, its all in the hips (happy gilmore refrence)

Reactions: KenC
Confirmed it’s $49,900 for white with 18” wheels. No upgraded brakes, pedals, or spoiler.

So, basically, my Model 3, same price, with an extra 0.9sec quicker 0-60 time. I’m not missing it. I assure you - the words “Wow, this thing is slow off the line” have never crossed my lips.

1618CEC6-ACD5-433E-832E-98678F561D57.jpeg

Not exactly the same. Don't forget the red underline on the badge!

That half these yahoos rip off anyway!

This is actually a stroke of brilliance, and here’s why ....

I see folks that were previously going to but an LR AWD, spending the extra $2k or so to move up to a P. The extras in the P package cost Tesla relatively little vs the LR AWD (brake pedal cover, 2 larger calipers, and larger wheels)... that’s extra margin for Tesla.

So it looks to me like it changes the sales mix a bit towards the higher margin P models. That’s good for almost everyone - good for Tesla, good for consumers. Only bad for elitists who resent other people driving “their” car.

Reactions: M109Rider
Looks like they brought back the sleeper (P3D-) option stated 18 inch wheels avail on special request.
I called and confirmed you loose: 20 inch wheels/performance brakes/alum pedals/carbon spoiler/susp upgrade.
Confirmed you can subtract $5000.00 from build if choosing this option.

You can now get a brand new performance sleeper for $49,990 before any rebates.

Hello all. I'm completely new to this forum. I'll be ordering a Model 3 in the coming days. I've been on an internal roller coaster going back and forth between the LR AWD and the Performance. The main reason I've been thinking about the Performance is for those 3.2 seconds! I don't really care about the other stuff (20" wheels, spoiler, breaks...). So the $7k upsell is hard for me to justify just to get a quicker 0-60. But seeing this thread today has given me hope!

Schroeder0202, can you give more details on how to go about getting this ordered? I live in Portland, OR. So do I call the local Tesla dealer here in Porltand and place the order? What's the correct terminology? Do I ask for a "Performance Sleeper"?

Btw, thanks so much for sharing this info!

That half these yahoos rip off anyway!

This is actually a stroke of brilliance, and here’s why ....

I see folks that were previously going to but an LR AWD, spending the extra $2k or so to move up to a P. The extras in the P package cost Tesla relatively little vs the LR AWD (brake pedal cover, 2 larger calipers, and larger wheels)... that’s extra margin for Tesla.

So it looks to me like it changes the sales mix a bit towards the higher margin P models. That’s good for almost everyone - good for Tesla, good for consumers. Only bad for elitists who resent other people driving “their” car.

It’s hard to say how much money it really saves Tesla. Brake pedal covers are definitely cheap (I’ve had one off the pedal and they are cheap af). However, the wheels are more expensive, as are the tires, - the brakes are definitely more expensive, and a carbon fiber spoiler isn’t particularly cheap. All these things add up. The suspension difference is probably $0 out of pocket for Tesla.

Either way, I see the value in the $5k package for sure.

Schroeder0202, can you give more details on how to go about getting this ordered? I live in Portland, OR. So do I call the local Tesla dealer here in Porltand and place the order? What's the correct terminology? Do I ask for a "Performance Sleeper"?

It says right on the website ‘18” wheels available upon request’. So I think you just need to order and request that from whomever Tesla assigns to you.

Sounds like you lose all the “goodies” (nothing on the website specifically outlining that), so do confirm exactly what you are going to get, so you understand and there is no disappointment. Note that you should get Track Mode, FWIW. (You should confirm but it is certain, as ALL Performance cars got track mode historically, after a brief period where the P3D- did not (software update delivered it).) For many enthusiasts that’s a major reason to spend $2k to upgrade to Performance, if you plan to track or autocross the car.

It’s hard to say how much money it really saves Tesla. Brake pedal covers are definitely cheap (I’ve had one off the pedal and they are cheap af). However, the wheels are more expensive, as are the tires, - the brakes are definitely more expensive, and a carbon fiber spoiler isn’t particularly cheap. All these things add up. The suspension difference is probably $0 out of pocket for Tesla.

Either way, I see the value in the $5k package for sure.

Not saying there isn’t value, but ... the pedal covers are probably less than $1 manufacturing cost. The wheels, maybe a bit more to manufacture than the 18’s. Tires, again, maybe they pay Michelin $10/ea more than an 18?

Sure the brake calipers are more beefy. Maybe $25/ea more (so $50) to Brembo?

The most expensive part, by far, is the carbon fiber spoiler.

So let’s say that all in, physical parts cost Tesla ... $500? Even if I miss the mark by half, $1000?

Not bad for a $5k upsell.

Except the PNs have always been the same, even from launch.

So when the service center orders a replacement DU for a P or an AWD, they order the same PN for either.

And have since day 1.

That's the opposite of how binning works- where you assign a different PN to the higher vs lower performing part.

See also the folks who ordered a P3D-, showed up to get an AWD delivered, and the service center "fixed" it with a software flash.
P and RWD both have the same rear motor output. AWD has less than both. That is not how binning works as you said but there is a possible scenario.

Let's say the first production run of rear motors had a 50% failure rate of meeting performance specs. Well you make a AWD and P variant and install the sub-standard motors in the AWD units to help Tesla from going under. Elon did say Tesla was close to dying in an interview.

But you want to keep supply lines simple so you have one part number. What is the harm of replacing a sub-performing motor with a higher performing model? Nothing.

For the folks that ordered a P3D- and had to have the firmware fixed for the extra performance after the fact the car probably was identified and received a motor that met full spec but they failed to configure it properly.

My guess is if the above is true only the early buyers of the AWD model like myself would be affected. My build was Aug 2018. I hope I'm wrong though as I would buy an upgrade for $2k. :)