Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 pricing and competition

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So what bearing does that factoid have on the cost to manufacture the Bolt?

Still 19% above 10K (like how does that rounding work???) and a spot market street price isn't even necessarily above manufacturing cost. Welcome to the "free market". *shrug*
You don't have to believe me, you can check out the UBS estimate of manufacturing costs if you like. ($28,700)

Reactions: adaptabl
For Bolt vs Model 3 “brand” doesn’t matter. Not an iota.

There are two differentiators:
1: You can buy a $35K (& $40K) Bolt today (and I could buy one last year, so I did).
2:a) Bolt is a “compact crossover”
b) has different esthics partially linked to 2a)

In every other way the Model 3 crushes the Bolt. If at any time the Bolt ends up head to head, it loses. Sometimes closer than others but it loses.
Execept for: Android Auto/Carplay, heated steering wheel, key FOB, 360° camera, one pedal driving, and AM radio. Hard for me to spend 49k+ and not get those items...but it would be easier for me to drop 35k and not get those amenities.

Android Auto/Carplay
Versus Tesla's media & nav? Seriously? I find it near useless, it's gotten to the point that the only thing I use it for is Pandora, and that only because I HAVE to to play Pandora through the car speakers. :( Oh, and if I open Pandora via the touch screen it hangs nearly all of the time, I have to initiate it via the phone instead. I don't even try use the map, I just run directly via my phone. I'd love to be able to see the street map overhead, scroll around occasionally like I did with the Acura, but it just isn't usable [in any safe matter when at the wheel].

]key FOB....and AM radio.
BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Okay, now you can't be serious there.

360° camera

That's just a checkmark, in place of a better backup camera.

heated steering wheel

That is actually nice...for some slice of the country.

So even using your own cherrypicked little list you went, maybe, 1-3-1.

Self crush.

Last edited:
Versus Tesla's media & nav? Seriously? I find it near useless

Yes, Teslas media and nav do seem pretty useless- thanks for pointing that out!

The media especially seems horrific... low-bitrate 64kb streaming from only a single provider, USB media interface that was dated years ago and can't remember how to resume, no direct-plug playback from phones at all (BT only), no aptx support over BT, etc...

Carplay would be an massive improvement over what Tesla offers here right now.

The nav is a lot better than it used to be, but it's still lacking features my 10 year old garmin had, so carplay would let me use my phone instead (and as of iOS 12, use waze right on the cars screen)

Neither of these will stop me from getting a model 3- but they're things that are noticably awful about a car that's so advanced in so many other ways- and there's a slew of threads about just how awful they are all over the forums.

Versus Tesla's media & nav? Seriously? I find it near useless, it's gotten to the point that the only thing I use it for is Pandora, and that only because I HAVE to to play Pandora through the car speakers. :( Oh, and if I open Pandora via the touch screen it hangs nearly all of the time, I have to initiate it via the phone instead. I don't even try use the map, I just run directly via my phone. I'd love to be able to see the street map overhead, scroll around occasionally like I did with the Acura, but it just isn't usable [in any safe matter when at the wheel].

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Okay, now you can't be serious there.

That's just a checkmark, in place of a better backup camera.

That is actually nice...for some slice of the country.

So even using your own cherrypicked little list you went, maybe, 1-3-1.

Self crush.
Yep...love the Waze, Google Maps....and...the Google Assistant. "Hey Google...does Tesla have Android Auto...." I was suprised that all I had to do was just say "hey Google" to bring up the assistant...no button pushes....nice...no need to type in anything for nav...and of course other assistant stuff...calls, send texts, etc. To bad it ain't wireless....maybe in a few years in the next gen of EVs.

Yeah...Pandora sucks...Spotify is better....maybe you need a better phone....cuz you might need it with your Model 3. Since youll have both....give us the low down on which is more reliable/convenient.....Bolt key FOB or the Model 3 card/app. My S5 was slow...but the Pixel 2 is MUCH faster..then again....I have a new phone...thus not cluttered with extrenous background processes from previously loaded apps. XM is also cool...just gotta find a deal on a subscription....still kicking myself for not getting that XM lifetime deal a few years back.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Yep...love the Waze, Google Maps....and...the Google Assistant. "Hey Google...does Tesla have Android Auto...." I was suprised that all I had to do was just say "hey Google" to bring up the assistant...no button pushes....nice...no need to type in anything for nav...and of course other assistant stuff...calls, send texts, etc. To bad it ain't wireless....maybe in a few years in the next gen of EVs.

Yeah...Pandora sucks...Spotify is better....maybe you need a better phone....cuz you might need it with your Model 3. Since youll have both....give us the low down on which is more reliable/convenient.....Bolt key FOB or the Model 3 card/app. My S5 was slow...but the Pixel 2 is MUCH faster..then again....I have a new phone...thus not cluttered with extrenous background processes from previously loaded apps. XM is also cool...just gotta find a deal on a subscription....still kicking myself for not getting that XM lifetime deal a few years back.
How does Android Auto typically work? Will the app project onto the screen in the car?

Phone more reliable than FOB, hands down. Because I’m never w/o my phone?

I don’t actually have both in my garage yet, btw.

And phone speed isn’t the issue. It’s the drill-down & split-personality nightmare UX. Baffles me that you’d even try to pick among the wreckage of the Bolt’s computer system to look for positives.

Complaining about button trigger for voice commands? +_+

Last edited:
  • Disagree
How does Android Auto typically work? Will the app project onto the screen in the car?
You drill down menu tree to get to get to it. Or it can get triggered from phone.

It’s like a full screen-only emulator box running inside the car’s overall computer interface system. AA is a little better than CP but the result is a Frankenstein monster UX.

Very cool in rentals considering the alternative but for your own car it’s inherently clumsy.

• Disagree
You drill down menu tree to get to get to it. Or it can get triggered from phone.

It’s like a full screen only emulator running inside the cars overall computer interface system. AA is a little better than CP but the result is a Frankenstein monster.

Very cool in rentals considering the alternative but for your own car it’s inherently clumsy.
I actually really like using the Tesla map because it integrates battery and supercharger information. I wouldn't mind being able to use Google Assistant thought. The voice commands of the car can use a big upgrade.

According to motor trend the Tesla handles like an Alfa Romeo Giulia, which is high praise. It is priced accordingly.

This reminds me of those threads on Bimmerfest in which someone moaned about how overpriced a bmw 330i was compared to a loaded Hyundai.

The Koreans build good cars. They, with very few exceptions, do not build fun cars. If someone wants an EV on a budget and is willing to forego some of the things Tesla does very well then have at it.

I actually really like using the Tesla map because it integrates battery and supercharger information. I wouldn't mind being able to use Google Assistant thought. The voice commands of the car can use a big upgrade.
Truth is I’m loath to use any voice command stuff, only if I must. The trigger word makes it worse.

I haven’t gotten to use M3 map on the road, only in an S & that was slick as sex. I did get to play w/the M3’s parked. Looking roughly comparable.

I think there’s fundamentals, too, that the Bolt just doesn’t have screen real estate & touch quality to work with to build something to compare, and they can’t really iterate to catch due to lack of OTA. Waze’s edge over Tesla’s live data can’t really save it in the end. Best Waze could do is convince me to using my phone direct for Nav in M3, too. ;)

I do like the Bolt, no regrets about the purchase, drive it every chance my wife lets me , but computer UX is a weak point for it. You can really feel where in the car GM shortcut.

Last edited:
Citation? Any map I've seen there are currently maybe a half dozen total 150kW CCS stations in all of Europe (there's also a couple esoteric ones rated higher than that).

There are actually 12 just in the Netherlands alone, but only one single 175 kW charger and one or two 50 kW chargers per station. Image the joy of watching an e-Golf hugging the 175kW charger charging at 40 kW while you are waiting with your Kona or iPace. More are planned for Holland and Belgium, but with the flood of iPaces and Kona's arriving soon, it's going to be fun how this evolves. There is more capacity available to place more chargers (8 total per station), but that will take some time.

Kona pricing in the UK used as a reference. With all tax and PICG you will be able to get the top spec for about £31k, or about £29k for the base 64kWh model. Remember that's 64kWh usable, presumably the M3 SR will be about 47kWh usable so a difference of about 26% extra in the Kona.

M3 SR plus AP would be around £35-36k by the most optimistic estimates.

WLTP range (realistic) for the Kona is about 300 miles. Their other EV, the Ioniq, was very efficient so that seems reasonable to me.

The top spec is similar in spec to a Model 3 with AP, although with more luxuries. Actually the lower spec is close to the M3 SR without AP, although does include a few nicities that the M3 doesn't have. All the usual stuff is there like auto headlights, auto wipers, 1 pedal driving etc. Also has a nice HUD.

Performance wise it's a 160kW motor, not quite as powerful as the M3 SR but not by any means slow. There are quite a lot of 100kW CCS chargers in Europe (actually most are 150kW) and more going in all the time. The networks are competitive with Tesla's.

In the US the Kona has an unlimited battery warranty (70%, unlimited miles/time). In the EU it seems to be 70%/200,000km/8 years.

Also the Kona is already delivered to customers in Korea. EU deliveries expected for September.
You should know that there is still some difference between WLTP and EPA And I think that I have read that Kona with 64 kWh battery will have a EPA range around 250 miles so little better then Model 3 SR.

You have to take in to consideration the usability of CCS chargerers, how many member chip(app or card) would I need to get if I want to make a European round trip with CCS easy, 10 or 20? There Tesla Supercharger still have a huge benefit.

Execept for: Android Auto/Carplay, heated steering wheel, key FOB, 360° camera, one pedal driving, and AM radio. Hard for me to spend 49k+ and not get those items...but it would be easier for me to drop 35k and not get those amenities.

Oh, I didn't realise that the M3 doesn't have 1 pedal mode.