Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3's Ride Quality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think they plan to offer air suspension on the 3 eventually...
Screen Shot 2018-01-07 at 3.51.36 PM.png

You gotta watch out for that "or so" part coming from Musk ;)

• Informative
  • Funny
Reactions: dhanson865 and kbM3
You will get used to it after two weeks. I had the same issue when I got my G37S with Sports Package (19" Rim + Sport Suspension). I was going through buyer remorse the first two days and got used to it. Though my friend still hated the rough ride.

Last edited:
Coils vs air suspension. Coils always will feel more sporty and in tuned with the pavement

Just like how some people don’t like the pillowy bouncy ride of air suspension.

Consider it feeling more “sporty”
That's the nature of coil suspension and many love what you are experiencing (as negative for you but positive for them) right now!
Sorry but that generalization is absolutely wrong.
Mercedes c and e class non sport coil suspensions like I´ve had them the last 10+ years are VERY smooth even on bad roads.
Stiffness with coil suspension isn`t due to shortcomings of the tech, it`s (imho) very bad intentional "sporty" design.
I have no idea why some manufacturers think the normal communter would gladly accept to feel every pebble on the street just to get the highest possible curve speeds......

Anyways, it´s good to know that the M3 standard suspension is so stiff....that`s a very big minus and makes a test drive before buying one even more mandatory to me.

Last edited:
We recently hauled a trunk full of books in our model 3 to the goodwill. With all that weight in the trunk the car actually felt much smoother. Much better ride quality with more weight over the rear wheels.

The car suspension is stiff. Personally it’s on the cusp of being too stiff to take delivery. It does seem to be somewhat wearing in after 500 miles.

My first impression was spring rate, but I tend to wonder now if compression dampening might be more the culprit. That can make a car feel quite "stiff" except on very smooth roads.

It also means that as the suspension "wears in" it will get a bit milder with some mileage. I loved how my 2nd gen Volt felt when I first got it, I almost couldn't believe how aggressive the shock valving was, but after 70k miles it definitely is more where an average driver would want it. So for those who think it a bit harsh at first, it will improve (for you), people tend to adjust as was previously mentioned, and tires do make a big difference in ride quality as well. Anybody who orders the 19s and then complains about the ride has themselves to blame.

Put me in the "sporty ride=yay!" camp. My biggest fear is if people b#tch they'll back it off like they did with the early P85Ds that had the + suspension and put in something milder before I get a car.

Sorry but that generalization is absolutely wrong.
Mercedes c and e class non sport coil suspensions like I´ve had them the last 10+ years are VERY smooth even on bad roads.
Stiffness with coil suspension isn`t due to shortcomings of the tech, it`s (imho) very bad intentional "sporty" design.
I have no idea why some manufacturers think the normal communter would gladly accept to feel every pebble on the street just to get the highest possible curve speeds......

Anyways, it´s good to know that the M3 standard suspension is so stiff....that`s a very big minus and makes a test drive before buying one even more mandatory to me.

My daily commute is over a windy mountain highway, so handling on curves has always been one of my primary considerations for cars (along with responsive acceleration, which is why a Tesla beats out any ICE with gears). The Model S is fine, but a bit too heavy to carve the curves as well as I would like. I'm very excited about what I hear with regards to the Model 3.

My daily commute is over a windy mountain highway, so handling on curves has always been one of my primary considerations for cars (along with responsive acceleration, which is why a Tesla beats out any ICE with gears). The Model S is fine, but a bit too heavy to carve the curves as well as I would like. I'm very excited about what I hear with regards to the Model 3.
I think you will love if Hwy 17 is your daily route. Both for curves and for finding the gaps between other cars and the gravel trucks. This car has enthusiasm for hills & curves, even on 18's.

• Informative
Reactions: gene and dhanson865
Interesting how two drivers can complain about a suspension, with one saying it is too firm and the other saying it is too soft.

The issue is not with the vehicle, but with the desires of the owners.

Both suspensions and tires take some time to break in, and the owner needs to take some time to get used to the individual personality of their new car.

For years enthusiasts have been complaining that American cars rode to soft and wallowed, while extalling the vertues of the more solid riding European vehicles.

Lately BMW seems to have thrown away their reputation for an enthusiastic ride to cater to the Asian buyers market.

I applaud Tesla for making their least expensive car a great handling one, with responsive throttle and suspension.

Usually pretty easy to adapt to different buyers with a set of softer riding tires, but a good handling firm suspension provides an additional level of safety in evasive maneuvers as well as the joy of good feedback to the driver.

Similar observations as the OP from me on another thread:

The biggest difference in driving experience for us between the S and the 3 so far? The suspension!

I know there are folks who love them some coils but, for my wife and I, the active air suspension in the S provides that right balance between road feel and a supple ride. The 3's steel springs (?) makes for a bit more of a rough ride where we feel those pesky recessed manhole covers and such; so much so, I try to do some zig-zagging to avoid those as much as I can.

We also feel that longer-distance travel could be more fatiguing in the 3 than in the S, atleast for us. Of course, we intend to drive the S anyway, given free supercharging, for such drives.

There appears to be one advantage to the 3's suspension though that may also be attributable to its smaller size - cornering and handling through corners seem to be better than the slightly-boaty feel with the S (don't know how the S's + suspension fares here for those who have it).

Sure, there are probably longer term trade offs - that have been discussed ad infinitum on here before - between mechanical and air suspensions but, these are our observations so far.

Thanks for all the replies everyone. It sounds like this is intended behavior.

I should have mentioned that I have the 18" wheels and have turned off the lane departure warning and still feel vibration in the steering wheel at highway speeds.

Also, to be clear, the car is fine on the rare perfectly flat road, it is any minor crack/bump that gets felt strongly.
I've noticed that some tires take a while to wear in. They will actually cause the car to walk back and forth on things like rain groves in the pavement until worn a bit.