Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S battery pack upgrade *will* happen, per Elon Tweet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an S85 with 96,000km on it .. it has lost say 25Km of charge .. if I do the upgrade .. do they give me a new battery pack with 90kw or do they add 5% to mine. If it is the first, in theory it would be a 10% boost in distance.
As bugeater said, you'd get a new battery. But don't expect an upgrade to be cheap. I would guess an upgrade would cost something in the area of 20k USD when you've done 96k km on your current battery.

Last edited:
I have an S85 with 96,000km on it .. it has lost say 25Km of charge .. if I do the upgrade .. do they give me a new battery pack with 90kw or do they add 5% to mine. If it is the first, in theory it would be a 10% boost in distance.

Similar situation here. I have about 84,000 km on an A-pack battery and have already lost more than that. I'm down about 8%. For $3k I might consider it.

- - - Updated - - -

As bugeater said, you'd get a new battery. But don't expect an upgrade to be cheap. I would guess an upgrade would cost something in the area of 20k USD when you've done 96k km on your current battery.

This "seems" to suggest otherwise:

7-20-2015 9-41-15 AM.jpg

Maybe I am odd person out here, but I really have no interest in a bigger battery than an 85 until we are in the 110 neighborhood. At 110, I can reliably stop at every other supercharger and take a longer break rather than hitting ever supercharger along a route. Short of that, if I have to stop at every supercharger anyways, then 85 is plenty and still keeps me mostly in the faster part of the charging curve when I am stopped.

You can also stop at every SC and charge much faster since at 110 you'll be using a bit more than half the battery in the summer.

Yes, he says $3k for new owners, but he says existing owners can purchase "the" pack upgrade, which I take to mean the aforementioned $3k one, and not "a" pack upgrade at a different price point.

Oh no, I can see it now... Bring in the "free for life" Supercharging folks! We have new "plain language" to interpret and twist. :)

(FWIW, I don't interpret that language to mean that for $3k you can get a brand new 90 kWh pack in exchange for your 3-year-old 85 kWh pack. I don't think the "reasonable person" test passes there -- I would never expect that I could get a brand new pack for the same $3k upcharge after 3 years of depreciation and usage after I drove a car 50,000 miles. While I would like it to be that way, I don't think it would pass the test.)

(FWIW, I don't interpret that language to mean that for $3k you can get a brand new 90 kWh pack in exchange for your 3-year-old 85 kWh pack. I don't think the "reasonable person" test passes there -- I would never expect that I could get a brand new pack for the same $3k upcharge after 3 years of depreciation and usage after I drove a car 50,000 miles. While I would like it to be that way, I don't think it would pass the test.)

I agree. I just don't know why Tesla has such a hard time with language like this. How hard would it have been to say something like "..and existing owners will be able to upgrade at a cost that has yet to be determined" or "at a cost equal to the difference between a new 90 kWh pack and the residual value of the pack being replaced".

The way the blog post reads it sure looks like he is talking about a $3,000 upgrade that, by the way, existing owners can purchase too.

Last edited: