Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got off the phone with my customer experience rep. I explained that I'm P#1117 and completed my MVPA early August. I said that my MVPA said to expect delivery in November, but based upon current MVPA dates being posted in the forums I was curious if the November date is still valid. He looked up my records and said that all he can tell me right now is that the EARLIEST I might see my car would be sometime in November, but it could also be the end of December. It all depends upon how ramp up goes. I definitely got the impression (lots of umming and ahhing) that I'd be better served to reset my expectation to sometime in December. My reservation is for a P85 with no options that should cause any delay. He also emphasized that no one with a later P# would get theirs ahead of me. Bottom line, I'm going to pretty much forget about any delivery date at this point until I get my 30 day call or a lot more firm delivery pronouncements from Tesla are forthcoming.
I do have complete confidence that they are doing everything they can to balance speed of production with delivery of a first class car. That's all I can ask for at this time.

I am getting the same story. Not sure why they are telling people in the 4,000s nov/dec. I was told I should be expecting dec.

I contacted Tesla to touch base. They said I should see my car by early October (conservative estimate) and possibly in late September. There were other interesting comments, but the important one was the delivery estimation since I hadn't heard anything yet and had thought we'd get a 30 day warning.

Special Sig 64

^^^ Worth noting that ViperDoc had his order sent to the factory only in early July. Does that make a difference? I don't know, but 3 months to delivery.....it explains some.

Yes, if he configured in early July, he would have been definitely out of sequence and given a later date based on my understanding of how reservations were handled. I only know something about this because I had to get special dispensation to delay my config by a couple of days so I could test drive in Fremont without altering my delivery sequence...

Which could be correct, didn't one of GB's updates mention that the chrome door handles were showing signs of pitting, so had to be reworked by an alternative supplier?

Hi Pete,

Here's an excerpt from the earnings call transcript.
Elon Musk - Chairman, Product Architect, and CEO

I can talk a little bit about it, although it’s easy to get lost in the weeds. Because it’s not as though there’s any one big thing. It’s like a couple hundred little knick-nacky things. One example is the supplier who’s doing the chrome plating of the door handles just couldn’t meet our quality standards. There were little tiny pits in the plating that were just unacceptable to us. So we had to switch that to a different plating supplier.

Larry

Disappointing news about the delay but I'd rather have Tesla get it right before delivery. It does sound like people are starting to speculate on what might have caused the delay; one can safely say though that if the delays will be significant then Tesla will come out with a statement.

I'm with @NigelM. Better to be right. I have spent some time over the years learning aboout supply chain management, and it is always a challenge. The smallest parts can cause the largest delays as they tend to come from suppliers who simply aren't equipped to meet quality standards at volume. There isn't an RFX process out there that can predict these issues, so the in house quality team at the end of the line has to keep a close eye.

Outsourcing... it just sucks sometimes. At least Tesla mostly uses in house labor for the car!

In the manufacturing world, lack of just one part will shut the entire line down. Hopefully, all other parts are on hand and in ample supply, so that this won't happen again anytime soon. Clearly, 5,000 units produced in 2012 will now be very difficult to achieve. Even when all of the production "Kinks" have been ironed out, I still forsee issues with being able to "deliver" 80 vehicles per day. 2/3 of those 80/day will be delivered outside of California. Many of those will be home deliveries, one truck at a time, and one day per truck. 20 deliveries per truck, per month, per store. So you either need many more stores (each with one truck), or many more trucks per store. 1,600 deliveries per month is a lot, when you have to personally deliver most of those cars.