Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took delivery of my S today, 9/19/20. As I mentioned a couple pages ago, ordered on 8/26. Earliest delivery date available was 9/17 but I waited so as not to take time off work. Made the round trip drive from ME to NJ to pick it up today, saying goodbye to my Model 3. Loving the S so far, really eats up the miles. It came with the pedestrian warning noisemaker, first I've heard of it on the S.
So, you can hear it? I noticed that I have the cut-out for the speaker on the passenger side bottom cover when I had the car on my lift. I've never heard a sound come from it, though - I should hear it when I'm pulling in or backing out of my garage. I already purchased the sealed connector ends to disconnect the speaker in anticipation of it being enabled, but haven't had to use it.

So, you can hear it? I noticed that I have the cut-out for the speaker on the passenger side bottom cover when I had the car on my lift. I've never heard a sound come from it, though - I should hear it when I'm pulling in or backing out of my garage. I already purchased the sealed connector ends to disconnect the speaker in anticipation of it being enabled, but haven't had to use it.

Yes. At first I thought it was only in reverse, but moving forward at low speed I hear a sound almost like white noise. My immediate reaction was to disconnect it and enjoy the silence as I had on my previous two EVs. The “UFO” sound in reverse is kind of cool in a way, though, and like I said the forward sound isn’t really that noticeable. Sticker says build date is 8/20. I ordered on the 26th but I’m pretty sure I was matched with an existing vehicle that had just been built, as I got my VIN the next day.

Yes. At first I thought it was only in reverse, but moving forward at low speed I hear a sound almost like white noise. My immediate reaction was to disconnect it and enjoy the silence as I had on my previous two EVs. The “UFO” sound in reverse is kind of cool in a way, though, and like I said the forward sound isn’t really that noticeable. Sticker says build date is 8/20. I ordered on the 26th but I’m pretty sure I was matched with an existing vehicle that had just been built, as I got my VIN the next day.
Well, this is danged confusing! I live in Florida, but I doubt that matters as this is a Federal law. And, it's possible I just don't hear the white noise while slowly moving forward, I'd think I or my family would hear that 'UFO' sound while backing out. I need to further investigate...

Horrible for the other owner. My experience was almost similar. I live 2 hours from the nearest Tesla Dealer. My delivery window was originally to chose Saturday night after 6 PM, or Sunday afternoon. I chose Sunday afternoon, knowing getting an Uber would be difficult (Rental car backup on Sunday with almost all locations closed in both my city and dealer city), and arranging insurance, banking, etc. on a Sunday. Also needed alternative plans if I refused car because of defects. The Friday before, I was informed delivery changed to Tuesday afternoon, no other choice for pickup. Called Sunday to check, and was informed my delivery had been changed once again without any notice to me to Monday morning. I explained that would be hard for me to get Uber and arrive by the scheduled time. They taunted me with I either make the delivery, or they would sell my car to someone else. Made me mad! Anyway, I made it up there, and when I got back home with my new car, I saw where Tesla had charged me for Supercharging at the dealer and "idle time" charging for leaving it plugged in after it was charged. I didn't even own the car at the time. This was pre-delivery service. I eventually had to charge back the charge on my credit card. I need to check to see if I am blocked from Supercharging before I need it after the credit card chargeback, because I don't trust Tesla at all. Feeling sorry for the other people Tesla treats so badly. Not off to a good start with me.
Hey! I am also in Kentucky and have a question regarding the mileage of the car and t
Yes, the mileage I guess they always just put 50 miles. This is a crime in my state. My car only had 5 miles at delivery. In addition, it took California Tesla 3 weeks to send me the papers needed for registration, and the Kentucky forms were not filled out correctly for taxes, which would have resulted in an overpayment of $500 in taxes. I pointed this out to the County Clerk at registration, and she looked at the purchase papers, and changed the numbers to save me the money. She said most people would not even notice the error, and pay the extra taxes.

Hey there fellow Kentuckian
I have a question regarding the taxes and mileage on the car. I was not aware of the mileage on new car affecting taxes. So here is the question: I am about to take delivery of a Model S Performance that was a drive unit and has 2000 miles on it. How should I go about this and does more mileage means higher taxes?

I am not aware of mileage or whether the vehicle is considered new or used affecting the 6% road use tax. It is just Tesla is attesting to reporting the accurate mileage at transfer. Here is the transportation site with tax information.
Motor Vehicle Usage Tax - Department of Revenue

Of note in my case, California Tesla mailed me the documents necessary to register my car 3 weeks after delivery. It may take longer. They had included the order fee, documentation fee, and other fees in calculating the taxable amount, and had used the full purchase price of the vehicle. Kentucky law only requires new car taxes to be paid on the sticker vehicle and accessories costs plus transportation charges. Then you can take 90% of this value and multiply it by the 6% road use tax owed. I took all my documents into the clerk, and pointed out the errors in Tesla's registration documents. She altered the taxes and it saved me over $500 in taxes after being taxed on the correct amount. If you have a trade-in Tesla is handling, you can reduce the taxable value by the value of your trade-in reported on the Tesla documents. At the time of registration of your new vehicle or before, you can also pay the 2020 taxes owed on any vehicle you owned on January 1 and sold or traded-in, and they can mark the vehicle so you won't get a erroneous tax bill next year.

Reactions: umair239
I am not aware of mileage or whether the vehicle is considered new or used affecting the 6% road use tax. It is just Tesla is attesting to reporting the accurate mileage at transfer. Here is the transportation site with tax information.
Motor Vehicle Usage Tax - Department of Revenue

Of note in my case, California Tesla mailed me the documents necessary to register my car 3 weeks after delivery. It may take longer. They had included the order fee, documentation fee, and other fees in calculating the taxable amount, and had used the full purchase price of the vehicle. Kentucky law only requires new car taxes to be paid on the sticker vehicle and accessories costs plus transportation charges. Then you can take 90% of this value and multiply it by the 6% road use tax owed. I took all my documents into the clerk, and pointed out the errors in Tesla's registration documents. She altered the taxes and it saved me over $500 in taxes after being taxed on the correct amount. If you have a trade-in Tesla is handling, you can reduce the taxable value by the value of your trade-in reported on the Tesla documents. At the time of registration of your new vehicle or before, you can also pay the 2020 taxes owed on any vehicle you owned on January 1 and sold or traded-in, and they can mark the vehicle so you won't get a erroneous tax bill next year.
Oh okay! Thanks a lot. This is my 3rd Tesla in two years and come to think of it I had never pointed out the erroneously calculated total price by Tesla and ended up paying taxes on 6% of that total
I will point it out to the County clerk office this time because it's definitely a mistake Tesla makes each time. I see that you are driving LR+. How is it? I've owned Model 3 and this Model S will be my first high end Tesla. Honestly , I am kinda worried if ill be able to make the 230 miles one way road trip in it without stopping in winter if I don't drive over 75mph. It's one of the reasons I wanted Model S since Model 3P was not cutting it for me and only giving 215 miles total once charged at 270 miles. I hear Raven is more efficient but I couldn't find a good deal on a LR+. Worried if I made the right choice or not and if Model S will be okay in making 230 trip starting from 320.

Oh okay! Thanks a lot. This is my 3rd Tesla in two years and come to think of it I had never pointed out the erroneously calculated total price by Tesla and ended up paying taxes on 6% of that total
I will point it out to the County clerk office this time because it's definitely a mistake Tesla makes each time. I see that you are driving LR+. How is it? I've owned Model 3 and this Model S will be my first high end Tesla. Honestly , I am kinda worried if ill be able to make the 230 miles one way road trip in it without stopping in winter if I don't drive over 75mph. It's one of the reasons I wanted Model S since Model 3P was not cutting it for me and only giving 215 miles total once charged at 270 miles. I hear Raven is more efficient but I couldn't find a good deal on a LR+. Worried if I made the right choice or not and if Model S will be okay in making 230 trip starting from 320.
Quality was better than expected, with some surface scratches in the clearcoat on RR panel, a tiny blob of paint on the hood, some orange peel, and a Left mirror bottom gasket misalignment. No squeaks or rattles. Full Self Driving in local driving sucks so far, so I mainly just drive the car myself. Map data in Kentucky is very old. Intersections, lanes, speed limits, etc, are all incorrect. FSD in Kentucky seems to be a long way away because of this. I like driving the car! Can't help you on longer range and winter estimates. :)

Quality was better than expected, with some surface scratches in the clearcoat on RR panel, a tiny blob of paint on the hood, some orange peel, and a Left mirror bottom gasket misalignment. No squeaks or rattles. Full Self Driving in local driving sucks so far, so I mainly just drive the car myself. Map data in Kentucky is very old. Intersections, lanes, speed limits, etc, are all incorrect. FSD in Kentucky seems to be a long way away because of this. I like driving the car! Can't help you on longer range and winter estimates. :)
Really? I thought FSD is pretty good. Yes, I do notice wrong intersections but only in Paducah. In Louisville, FSD is good. I agree though it's not quite there yet. I see you got your LR+ in June. What's the manufacture date on it? Wondering because they recently updated the batteries to be charged faster and only revision 'G' batteries are capable of faster charging speeds. I am wanting to see around what time they started putting G batteries in Model S/X. VIN for my car ends in 398011 but it doesn't say anything about date of manufacture.
Thanks for your prompt responses

Really? I thought FSD is pretty good. Yes, I do notice wrong intersections but only in Paducah. In Louisville, FSD is good. I agree though it's not quite there yet. I see you got your LR+ in June. What's the manufacture date on it? Wondering because they recently updated the batteries to be charged faster and only revision 'G' batteries are capable of faster charging speeds. I am wanting to see around what time they started putting G batteries in Model S/X. VIN for my car ends in 398011 but it doesn't say anything about date of manufacture.
Thanks for your prompt responses
Along the coasts, big cities, etc., FSD will be good. They just don't bother as much with the inner US "rural areas". Interstates, and major roads will be the best across the US, but not secondary. Even some major roads are wrong or missing data. My car got the upgrade, and I feel sure it can charge to 250kw at Level 3 (only 1 Supercharger in state that can do that now is one in Louisville). Stickers on the car, factory sticker, and delivery documents only give you a month and year of assembly. I believe build date was June 15.
Tesla updates Model S and Model X Supercharging rate to 250 kW - Electrek

Along the coasts, big cities, etc., FSD will be good. They just don't bother as much with the inner US "rural areas". Interstates, and major roads will be the best across the US, but not secondary. Even some major roads are wrong or missing data. My car got the upgrade, and I feel sure it can charge to 250kw at Level 3 (only 1 Supercharger in state that can do that now is one in Louisville). Stickers on the car, factory sticker, and delivery documents only give you a month and year of assembly. I believe build date was June 15.
Tesla updates Model S and Model X Supercharging rate to 250 kW - Electrek
Cool!
One last question, is your car's vin lower than mine? Last six of my vin are 398011.
Trying to see if I got the revision G battery considering it's a test drive unit with 2k miles on it

How does one find out what battery revision one has? Is that on the iphone only app that doesn't work on android?
If you look under the front passenger side wheel you'll see a tag with Tesla logo and all the info. The last letter in bold is the matter pack's revision letter.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201004-183437.jpg
    Screenshot_20201004-183437.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 101
  • Screenshot_20201004-183505.jpg
    Screenshot_20201004-183505.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 87
  • Screenshot_20201004-183515.jpg
    Screenshot_20201004-183515.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 83
  • Screenshot_20201004-183529.jpg
    Screenshot_20201004-183529.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 83
  • Screenshot_20201004-183542.jpg
    Screenshot_20201004-183542.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 86
  • Informative
Reactions: mikki and Nda721
If you look under the front passenger side wheel you'll see a tag with Tesla logo and all the info. The last letter in bold is the matter pack's revision letter.
I didn't bother mentioning this before, but you know what's interesting? I do not have and indication of the battery capacity on the label. I guess they're all 100kWh batteries now and Tesla figures, "what's the point?"

I didn't bother mentioning this before, but you know what's interesting? I do not have and indication of the battery capacity on the label. I guess they're all 100kWh batteries now and Tesla figures, "what's the point?"
Really? That's weird. On another note, do you guys know if Model S/X ever get the keyless feature of 3 and Y?
Also I'm nervous about getting mine and then getting the news of an interior refresh a month later

Really? That's weird. On another note, do you guys know if Model S/X ever get the keyless feature of 3 and Y?
Also I'm nervous about getting mine and then getting the news of an interior refresh a month later
Well, technically speaking, Model S/X currently has keyless features to open/start the car. However, it's NOT the same as on the Model 3/Y. On those models, it uses Bluetooth to allow you to enter and start the car. On the Model S/X you have to go into the Tesla App and explicitly unlock the car (I haven't tried it to allow the car to drive). So, like I said, technically it's keyless but in the real world, it's not all that useful. Don't get me wrong, it does offer 'some' utility.

I'm not sure if I would wait on ordering a Model S/X because I feared they're coming out with an interior refresh. This has been 'predicted' for years now and it hasn't come to fruition. Which begs the question, are people/potential buyers still listening to (it seems like) those same voices that are making their 'predictions' of an upcoming refresh who prove themselves wrong year-after-year? But, I understand your plight - "what if?" What if this is the year it happens? Dare I take the risk? That's something only you can answer. I debated it myself but when I saw how wrong those 'predictors' were, I pushed forward with my order.

I saw of lot of theories that Tesla will update the interior to look more like the Model 3/Y to keep their offerings streamlined. I thought they would want the Model S/X to be their premium versions, hence keeping the instrument cluster. These are just my thoughts, though; nothing concrete to back it up.