Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, I wrote a personal check after inspecting the car. If you're so wound up about the process, maybe don't buy the car.
What about my statement makes you think I'm wound up about the process? I don't need you to invite me to not buy the car; I can make my own decisions. For example, it wouldn't be my decision to take $95K of my money to purchase a depreciating asset outright, not when money is so cheap. The better play for me would be to invest some of that cash. Tesla is currently offering financing at 2.49%; I can make more than a 2.49% return off of my personal investments. But, that's me; to each his own.

And, for the record, this will be my second Tesla purchase.

I

If you go to your order on the Tesla website from your phone, you can make an electronic payment immediately from your account (debit transaction) after inspecting the car on the day of delivery. Just have your bank routing number and account number.handy. There is no need for a check, but my closest Tesla office said they would take a personal check. The electronic check seemed safer and easier to me.
Actually, I went ahead and made the payment so there wouldn't be any issues at delivery. I sent the electronic payment in days ago and it still hasn't cleared. I'm not sure what the disparity is; maybe they prioritize the processing if it's your delivery day? To be clear, my Tesla account shows that I no longer owe any money (it took over a day) but the money is still in my bank account - it's not even showing up as an 'In-Process' status.

Ordered a new LR Model S, red with black interior and FSD on 8/26.

Got my VIN 8/27.

Notified today, 9/7, that the car has been built and is on its way to Paramus, NJ.

Scheduled delivery for 9/22. I am in Maine but elected to drive down to NJ rather than do home delivery. Can't wait!

Ordered a new LR Model S, red with black interior and FSD on 8/26.

Got my VIN 8/27.

Notified today, 9/7, that the car has been built and is on its way to Paramus, NJ.

Scheduled delivery for 9/22. I am in Maine but elected to drive down to NJ rather than do home delivery. Can't wait!
Exciting. Delivery date may change. Mine was, and then went back a day, ending up a day later than originally scheduled. My car for delivery to Ohio went by train to Chicago, and then truck to Ohio. I think all East coast cars go through Chicago on the train. Anyway, the dealer can follow the exact location of your car by GPS on most of the cars during shipping. They could tell me where it was on the train to Chicago. This gives them a good indication of a delivery date.

Reactions: teletype
What about my statement makes you think I'm wound up about the process? I don't need you to invite me to not buy the car; I can make my own decisions. For example, it wouldn't be my decision to take $95K of my money to purchase a depreciating asset outright, not when money is so cheap. The better play for me would be to invest some of that cash. Tesla is currently offering financing at 2.49%; I can make more than a 2.49% return off of my personal investments. But, that's me; to each his own.

And, for the record, this will be my second Tesla purchase.

You just seemed worked up in your original post, that's all. Didn't mean to offend. Personally, I don't like debt and I don't like interest no matter how small it may seem.

Exciting. Delivery date may change. Mine was, and then went back a day, ending up a day later than originally scheduled. My car for delivery to Ohio went by train to Chicago, and then truck to Ohio. I think all East coast cars go through Chicago on the train. Anyway, the dealer can follow the exact location of your car by GPS on most of the cars during shipping. They could tell me where it was on the train to Chicago. This gives them a good indication of a delivery date.
"Delivery date may change"? So true, so very, very true. I just happened to be looking at my account on tesla.com and notice I have a schedule delivery date of 09/13/2020 instead of the previous 09/17/2020. Exciting they moved it up, right? It just would've been nice if someone told me (phone call, e-mail, or text). I had my insurance bound for the car (VIN required) on 09/17/2020. I just need to call my agent to change it, but I need to know that I have to make the call in the first place. Moral of the story: check your account often for changes the closer you get to Delivery! ;-)

This is probably nothing, but I noticed on my Contract that the vehicle weight for my 2020 MS LR+ is 5,939 lbs. According to Tesla.com, the weight should be 4,883 lbs. Maybe this is just a 'placeholder' value they put in, but has anyone else noticed this disparity? Like I said, no big deal; I was just curious.

This is probably nothing, but I noticed on my Contract that the vehicle weight for my 2020 MS LR+ is 5,939 lbs. According to Tesla.com, the weight should be 4,883 lbs. Maybe this is just a 'placeholder' value they put in, but has anyone else noticed this disparity? Like I said, no big deal; I was just curious.

That's gross weight (GVWR), it includes passengers and cargo.

Joined the MS club for the first time 3 days ago! Loving it so far. 2020 LR+, Black interior. Midnight Silver. 19" carbon slipstream, no FSD (yet).
A few questions/concerns and would love to get the advice of the members of this amazing forum that was so helpful in me deciding to join the ranks of Tesla owners.

1. I ordered the car originally in White and the carbon wheels looked great as a contrast to the white body color. Changed my mind and ended up with Midnight Silver. Not so sure about the grey body and grey wheels however (see pics)?
2. Trunk hatch is much tighter to one side than the other. Service dept claims easily corrected by adjusting the trunk hatch. See pics
3. The part of the front quarter panel that comes to a sharp point ending at the headlight is lifted slightly higher than the hood panel next to it. This is the case only on one side of the car, and it is flush on the other side. Service says this is "within tolerance" but they will try to fix it. See attached pics. Any thoughts?

I look forward to becoming an active participant in this very helpful forum! Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions. IMG_6972.jpg IMG_6981.jpg IMG_6981.jpg IMG_6983.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_6972.jpg
    IMG_6972.jpg
    488.9 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_6981.jpg
    IMG_6981.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_6983.jpg
    IMG_6983.jpg
    520.1 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_6985.jpg
    IMG_6985.jpg
    556.8 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_6986.jpg
    IMG_6986.jpg
    559.9 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_6987.jpg
    IMG_6987.jpg
    340.5 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_6988.jpg
    IMG_6988.jpg
    310.7 KB · Views: 93
Hi. I am a new member also. Still waiting on my delivery (ordered August 5th). I also purchased the midnight silver with grey carbon slipstreams. Was originally going with the 21 inch rims, but after much thought decided to get full miles, comfort, and less damage/cost down the road. Heard about the minor things on delivery. If it bothers you, no better time to get it fixed than the beginning. Do not believe your issues are a functionality issue...more looks. That being said, when you spend that much money...you want near perfect :)

I agree with SportyG. Only you can determine if the car is in good enough condition for you. It looks like they are advising you what they likely can correct. Some items you may consider as personalizing your car due to the nature of the hand building process which results in unique fit and finish in certain areas. o_O :)

• Funny
Reactions: bmah
Given everything I’ve heard about fit and finish issues, I was very pleased. Several body panel gaps are off, the interior rubber seal around one of the windows and condensation inside one headlight. DebryDave - love the idea of describing the body issues as being a personalized element of the car! :)
SportyG - be sure to print out and take with you one or more of the excellent delivery checklists posted on the forum. It was very useful for me. I had the same dilemma about the 21s. They clearly look the best, but I as worried about blow outs without having a spare tire, ride quality, and they only come with Summer rubber - which for me would mean having to buy and store a separate set of winter wheels and tires. Good luck with your delivery!

Reactions: DerbyDave
Hi. I am a new member also. Still waiting on my delivery (ordered August 5th). I also purchased the midnight silver with grey carbon slipstreams. Was originally going with the 21 inch rims, but after much thought decided to get full miles, comfort, and less damage/cost down the road. Heard about the minor things on delivery. If it bothers you, no better time to get it fixed than the beginning. Do not believe your issues are a functionality issue...more looks. That being said, when you spend that much money...you want near perfect :)

Did you get a delivery date yet? I also placed mine on the same day. No delivery date for me yet.

So, I took delivery of my MS LR+ today. With the exception of a few minor things, the car looks great! I ordered my car with the 21" Sonic Carbon Twin Turbine wheels. I don't recall anyone mentioning this and I didn't realize it but my calipers are colored-matched to the wheels - a pleasant surprise. Maybe this is common knowledge, but I didn't know it. I even did a search of the forums but, admittedly, I didn't read every single threads to see if somebody commented on it - I mostly found people wanting to paint their calipers. (Maybe someone could point me to a How-To article on how to run a better search?)

The other thing, I bought a bunch of stuff for the Model S a looooong time ago in anticipation of receiving the car. One of the things I got was the Tesla-branded Weathertech liners. Everything went in just fine with the exception of the rear passenger seat liner. I mean, it's almost as if the dimensions/layout of the car has changed, it's so bad. It seems the front seat anchor points are further back. The liners were purchased back in June. Do you think Tesla changed something?