Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took my model 3 on 5 or 6 road trips and tbh, it was a pain in the ass to have to stop every 2 hours and plan to make sure there was a charger on the route. With the model s, I don't want to kill the value by doing that so much, but EVs are definitely annoying as hell to take on road trips.

However, it's looking like I won't be getting a model s after.

Totally agree with you. The more range the better. 400 is good, but wish it was 500. No way will I be stopping every 2 hours on a road trip and I take many road trips. Not sure why everyone would not want that.

Totally agree with you. The more range the better. 400 is good, but wish it was 500. No way will I be stopping every 2 hours on a road trip and I take many road trips. Not sure why everyone would not want that.

Yeah - it wasn't a ton of fun part of the time. It just became sort of annoying. Whereas in an ICE car, you can go 5-10 miles over the speed limit and shave off an hour or so on a 14 hour drive. With an EV, you had probably 2 hours or so. Huge difference. Otherwise, watching netflix and that was great charging and the ride is good enough.

You're not stopping every 2 hours even with 250mi of range unless you're traveling 125mph. Stopping every 3-4 hours on a trip for 20-30 minutes is a pretty comfortable pace to travel allowing for food and bathroom brakes. Is it a cannonball run? No, if that's what you're going for then ok.
For most of those that can afford a car of this caliber, I'm guessing driving more than three hours non stop is not going to be comfortable....at least it ain't for me.

Last century, did a few 5+ hours nonstop.

My plaid res screen is still garbled with no pic. They have 5 days to fix this, or I am OUT!

This might be old news, but interesting article about NHTSA take on touchscreen drive selector:

Tesla’s new touchscreen drive selector doesn’t violate the rules, NHTSA says

At this time, there are no known compliance concerns related to the shift control configuration

So if that's been holding up deliveries, that seems like an obstacle is removed (although it still doesn't address the yoke steering wheel).

You're not stopping every 2 hours even with 250mi of range unless you're traveling 125mph. Stopping every 3-4 hours on a trip for 20-30 minutes is a pretty comfortable pace to travel allowing for food and bathroom breaks. Is it a cannonball run? No, if that's what you're going for then ok.

Hmm, clearly youve never owned a Tesla before. That's not how it works my friend. It's like this:

I'm driving from Oklahoma City to San Antonio - It's not that I charge to 100% and then get down to 3% and charge up wherever I'm at. No, no, no. Instead, because chargers are limited, you are usually doing something like:

- Leave home at 100%
- First charger at 30% (so 180 miles or so, around 2.25 hours of driving)
- Charge to 85%
- Next charger you get to you are at 35% (so 125-150 miles); charge to 80%
- Arrive at the next charger at 20% (so another 125 - 150 miles).

So on and so on.

This is one of the biggest things people forget about - gas stations are everywhere, chargers are not as much as you think. You do have to be careful or sometimes there aren't chargers within 50 - 100 miles of where you are. You'll almost never be getting the battery down below 20%.

Trust me, I drove my Model 3 from Oklahoma to Miami, FL...it's literally every 1.75 - 2.25 hours you will be stopping for 20-30 minutes. It's not exactly a fun experience.

Just got an email from my Tesla advisor. I order in dec and he just told me we are now looking at delivery in May / June but didn’t say why. I’d guess everyone else is in the same boat now also or later.
Did you ask where he got this information? Just like Jon Snow, he likely "knows nothing". Also, where are you located? Delivery estimates are partially based on location (along with configuration). Until we have word that production has actually started, it's really anyone's guess.

Hmm, clearly youve never owned a Tesla before. That's not how it works my friend. It's like this:

I'm driving from Oklahoma City to San Antonio - It's not that I charge to 100% and then get down to 3% and charge up wherever I'm at. No, no, no. Instead, because chargers are limited, you are usually doing something like:

- Leave home at 100%
- First charger at 30% (so 180 miles or so, around 2.25 hours of driving)
- Charge to 85%
- Next charger you get to you are at 35% (so 125-150 miles); charge to 80%
- Arrive at the next charger at 20% (so another 125 - 150 miles).

So on and so on.

This is one of the biggest things people forget about - gas stations are everywhere, chargers are not as much as you think. You do have to be careful or sometimes there aren't chargers within 50 - 100 miles of where you are. You'll almost never be getting the battery down below 20%.

Trust me, I drove my Model 3 from Oklahoma to Miami, FL...it's literally every 1.75 - 2.25 hours you will be stopping for 20-30 minutes. It's not exactly a fun experience.
I do have a Performance 3. Drove it recently round trip Orange County to Bay Area.

Also - Rivian just announced their warranty:

Basic 5 years, 60,000 miles ♥️
Battery Pack/Drivetrain 8 years/ 175,000 miles

Pretty damn solid. I wish those deliveries didnt start in Jan 2022! I have a reservation in. IDK, I'm definitely on the train of: Tesla has until Wednesday next week to say something or I'm buying some *sugar* ICE car for the next 9 months.
And what makes you think Rivian will deliver on time?