Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am one of the people who are significantly impacted financially (and convenience-wise) due to the lack of communication from Tesla, and the dishonest/unkept-promises on delivery dates, with a carrot hanging in front of me. I sold my car in December when I had to move a new city, and placed an order for a Model S. When I placed this order, the website (and store reps) told me delivery time of 4 weeks. So, I got a rental car as a stop-gap solution. This car wasn't delivered and the refresh was announced in end-Jan with a promise of it being delivered in Feb or March. The store reps kept relaying the same promise with the timelines of Feb/March. This led me to keep exchanging/extending my car rental by a few weeks to upto a month each time, in anticipation of timing my rental duration to match with my delivery date. I'm out of several thousand $ and spent time on 5+ trips to the rental agency for exchanges. I'm annoyed that had Tesla been honest with their delivery estimates/promises, I would have been able to plan my transport needs better and not have spent so much money.

This was my 1st time ordering a Tesla/EV, and I definitely learned lessons to not trust companies/sales people too much :/. Sorry for the rant - this was to support other folks who are complaining.
lbowroom says that if you can afford a 100k car then none of that matters, go pack sand.

Reactions: ct101
So - can anyone in the car industry actually be a desirable company to want to do business with? Tesla, on one hand, makes cars that aren't super reliable but very fun when they do work. They have constant delays, over-promise, under-deliver and tons of bugs. Traditional OEMs refused to do EVs, but the best they can do now are cars that get 250 miles range (at best) that you can barely road trip with and either look incredibly weird (Chevy Bolt), have crappy infotainment system (VW ID4) or missing one pedal driving (mostly VW). And then of course, you get to go into a stealership have them jerk you around for an entire day (or more) with the most ridiculous *sugar*.

IDK - Tesla is really pissing me off at this point. There's a lot of antics they've done to build ill will (the whole raising price of FSD when the basic function doesn't even work correctly, for example). This lack of communication is about it for me. It says March, if I don't get a VIN in March and I have to reapply for credit and take another hit, I'm cancelling this order.

Reactions: Angelo14
So - can anyone in the car industry actually be a desirable company to want to do business with? Tesla, on one hand, makes cars that aren't super reliable but very fun when they do work. They have constant delays, over-promise, under-deliver and tons of bugs. Traditional OEMs refused to do EVs, but the best they can do now are cars that get 250 miles range (at best) that you can barely road trip with and either look incredibly weird (Chevy Bolt), have crappy infotainment system (VW ID4) or missing one pedal driving (mostly VW). And then of course, you get to go into a stealership have them jerk you around for an entire day (or more) with the most ridiculous *sugar*.

IDK - Tesla is really pissing me off at this point. There's a lot of antics they've done to build ill will (the whole raising price of FSD when the basic function doesn't even work correctly, for example). This lack of communication is about it for me. It says March, if I don't get a VIN in March and I have to reapply for credit and take another hit, I'm cancelling this order.

Understand your sentiments but do not give up...

Reactions: elguapo

It appears something, anything, better happen pretty soon or this section of the forum will be the tally-info-stat section for cancelled orders. Or has it already started?

It appears something, anything, better happen pretty soon or this section of the forum will be the tally-info-stat section for cancelled orders. Or has it already started?
I think you are 100% correct there will be a big portion here probably at the end of the month or mid April that if there is no update will cancel their orders. It's a shame but totally understandable

Tesla/Elon is just playing games at this point. Elon being typical Elon with timelines, couldn't get it done and now he's trying to sweep it under the rug all hush hush instead of focusing on his customers who have orders in for very expensive products. And again, he's been tweeting dumb *sugar* nearly every day, multiple times a day...he's had the time to inform people if March wasn't actually realistic, but he chooses not to. So, therefore, I'm going to choose to spend my money elsewhere.

• Disagree
Reactions: foos
So the conclusion you guys draw is that for one reason or another, no EV is worth buying?

I mean, when you look at it, no, not really. I drive a ton and go on a lot of road trips (usually 20,000 - 25,000 miles a year) - these cars claiming 250 miles of range aren't going to cut it at hwy speeds with that amount of range. The Model 3/Y work, but both are too small for my needs. The X is too expensive and not enough range at hwy speeds, and, well, Elon is pissing me off about the S. I also have orders for the Rivian R1T - TBD on reviews for that, tho.

I mean, when you look at it, no, not really. I drive a ton and go on a lot of road trips (usually 20,000 - 25,000 miles a year) - these cars claiming 250 miles of range aren't going to cut it at hwy speeds with that amount of range. The Model 3/Y work, but both are too small for my needs. The X is too expensive and not enough range at hwy speeds, and, well, Elon is pissing me off about the S. I also have orders for the Rivian R1T - TBD on reviews for that, tho.
For many first-time EV buyers, range continues to be be confusing. As city cars/daily drivers, I think 250 miles is good for the vast majority of folks out there. On trips, it is a bit more complicated. Both our cars are under 250 miles of range--my old S was ~240 and my wife's X is ~225. I used to do 25K/year in the S and the X is our road trip car. The range has never been an issue because the density and the speed of the SC network makes it workable. The TL;DR version of that is that X miles of range in a Tesla > the X miles of range in pretty much anything else.

The quintessential Tesla experience is buying a product you love from a company you don't.

Reactions: elguapo
For many first-time EV buyers, range continues to be be confusing. As city cars/daily drivers, I think 250 miles is good for the vast majority of folks out there. On trips, it is a bit more complicated. Both our cars are under 250 miles of range--my old S was ~240 and my wife's X is ~225. I used to do 25K/year in the S and the X is our road trip car. The range has never been an issue because the density and the speed of the SC network makes it workable. The TL;DR version of that is that X miles of range in a Tesla > the X miles of range in pretty much anything else.

The quintessential Tesla experience is buying a product you love from a company you don't.

I took my model 3 on 5 or 6 road trips and tbh, it was a pain in the ass to have to stop every 2 hours and plan to make sure there was a charger on the route. With the model s, I don't want to kill the value by doing that so much, but EVs are definitely annoying as hell to take on road trips.

However, it's looking like I won't be getting a model s after.

• Disagree
Reactions: foos