Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There won’t be anything from Tesla. Just like the refresh models people were able to photograph you will find it here or Twitter or YouTube. My guess is they will start issuing VIN numbers with delivery dates that will come and go with no communication at that time either.
If there has been no customer service or or communication at this point tesla has no reason to change.

Semi-related question, did you have to do anything special so the insurance has the check mark? I’ve uploaded my insurance as a PDF and as a PNG, but the form still shows up unlike yours. Does it have to be verified by your SA?
I sent proof of insurance directly to SA. That seemed to work fine and results in the check mark.

Big differences between a LR Defender SUV and refreshed Tesla Model S/X; can’t even compare since it’s an ICE vehicle vs. EV. My wife drives a 2018 LR RR Velar and we love it but her next vehicle will almost certainly be an EV of some sort as well. Deliveries of the refreshed Tesla Model S and Model X are likely coming May - July so you’re looking at another 1-3 months; it’s not like you’ll be waiting until the end of the year. Hey, I’m new to Tesla but not new to the EV world so I understand delays and patience. If you have another vehicle to drive until you can take delivery on your Tesla, you might be kicking yourself in the arse if you don’t wait a bit more. Just my $0.02.

Depending on metrics, the two compare well.

There is nothing to say that delivery is likely May-June anymore than when we all said March-July. Now, if Tesla comes out and says something believable and provable, then you can use words such as "likely".

I get your point and am looking forward to switching to EV's but if Telsa does not start communicating, it may be with another manufacturer.

Reactions: Drew-MS
No offense to your friend but this same information has come from countless "Tesla" people - including Elon. "Almost ready" means what? 1 week, 1 month, 1 year?
Semi-related question, did you have to do anything special so the insurance has the check mark? I’ve uploaded my insurance as a PDF and as a PNG, but the form still shows up unlike yours. Does it have to be verified by your SA?
Make sure the policy expiration date is current.

Reactions: Hayseed_MS
Depending on metrics, the two compare well.

There is nothing to say that delivery is likely May-June anymore than when we all said March-July. Now, if Tesla comes out and says something believable and provable, then you can use words such as "likely".

I get your point and am looking forward to switching to EV's but if Telsa does not start communicating, it may be with another manufacturer.
FYI - when I drove my previous vehicle, a Porsche Macan Turbo about 18k mi per year, I spent approx $350-$400 per month on gas (not including the 2 oil changes per year of > $250 each) vs. when I drove my Jaguar I-Pace EV the same mileage and spent approx $80-$100 per month on electric (and of course no oil changes, lol 😜). And my I-Pace EV was as fast or faster as my Porsche and handled just as well. So I’m not sure how you can try comparing an ICE vehicle such as a LR Defender to a Tesla EV??? 🤔🙄. Makes zero sense.

FYI - when I drove my previous vehicle, a Porsche Macan Turbo about 18k mi per year, I spent approx $350-$400 per month on gas (not including the 2 oil changes per year of > $250) vs. when I drove my Jaguar I-Pace EV the same mileage and spent approx $80-$100 per month on electric (and of course no oil changes, lol 😜). Ans my I-Pace EV was as fast or faster as my Porsche and handled just as well. So I’m not sure how you can try comparing an ICE vehicle such as a LR Defender to a Tesla EV??? 🤔🙄. Makes zero sense.

It would no sense if your metrics were only money spent on "fuel" and potential speed. There are many factors in it so thanks for the condescending remarks. This is not an argument on whether an ICE or EV is better. I get it - you will choose EV over ICE despite the vehicle. In my world there are many pros to the LR. But yes, I ultimately want to go to an EV (and yes, your reasoning does play into it).

At this moment there are no other EV's that check enough boxes to get me away from ICE - especially the Defender. The Defender is available now and JLR is much easier to deal.

Reactions: cascadilla
It might be a function of the state you’re registering it in…
[Edit: Just checked and now I see that you’re in California. So make sure that you have everything done correctly uploaded insurance card and all of the data entered correctly]

Proof of insurance is required to take delivery, and must be valid for the next 60-90 days. If you're registering in these 12 states, insurance can be provided for an existing car. In all other states, insurance must be provided for the Model S.

• Arizona
  • California
  • Hawaii
  • Illinois
  • Indiana
  • Maryland
  • Minnesota
  • Ohio
  • Oregon
  • Tennessee
  • Virginia
  • Washington

It might be a function of the state you’re registering it in…
[Edit: Just checked and now I see that you’re in California. So make sure that you have everything done correctly uploaded insurance card and all of the data entered correctly]

Proof of insurance is required to take delivery, and must be valid for the next 60-90 days. If you're registering in these 12 states, insurance can be provided for an existing car. In all other states, insurance must be provided for the Model S.

• Arizona
  • California
  • Hawaii
  • Illinois
  • Indiana
  • Maryland
  • Minnesota
  • Ohio
  • Oregon
  • Tennessee
  • Virginia
  • Washington
Apparently PA should also be included? I gave my SA photo of insurance card in February and that seemed to be enough. In PA insurance card needs to be updated every 6 months. The photo I gave SA would have had expiration of April.

It would no sense if your metrics were only money spent on "fuel" and potential speed. There are many factors in it so thanks for the condescending remarks. This is not an argument on whether an ICE or EV is better. I get it - you will choose EV over ICE despite the vehicle. In my world there are many pros to the LR. But yes, I ultimately want to go to an EV (and yes, your reasoning does play into it).

At this moment there are no other EV's that check enough boxes to get me away from ICE - especially the Defender. The Defender is available now and JLR is much easier to deal.
Not sure if you’ve ever dealt with JLR but I had many issues with my Jaguar I-Pace while our LR RR Velar only had some s/w issues the first year of ownership; after that, it’s been very good with zero problems. JLR as a company is horrendous though...they’re in deep financial trouble (have been for years but Covid nearly forced them into bankruptcy) and their electronics and technology are actually way behind others, although the new digital screens are cool...but they’re super painfully SLOW and unintuitive.

In addition, again not sure what it’s like with the LR dealers near you, but in South Florida where LR RR’s are quite prevalent, our local LR dealer has a backlog of repairs so if you need service, you have to wait a minimum 3-4 weeks just to bring your vehicle in for service; that’s simply unacceptable in my opinion...but apparently, repairs and required service is also quite frequent with the LR vehicles.

Suit yourself. We wish you all the best no matter what you decide.

Last edited:
I suspect we’ll get an update from Musk on earnings call April 26th. Rob Mauer with Tesla daily tries to get pointed questions directly from retail investment community so hopefully this is addressed regarding delivery timeline.
I think Tesla will have to provide an update and also an explanation for the delays on the conference call. That article from the other day explained that Tesla provided information to the analyst community on the Jan 27th conference call that wasn’t true. Tesla basically said production already started for Model S and deliveries will start in Feb. The analyst community used that info to predict a certain number of Model S deliveries in the 1st quarter. When Tesla shared the delivery numbers last week with 0 model S produced, the analysts covering Tesla were a bit confused. Let’s hope Tesla is transparent and clears it up on this upcoming conf call.
Edit: when you’re a public company, you can’t just say whatever you want.

Last edited:
That is all I did as well. Took a picture of my current insurance card showing my current 2019 Model S and it got checked off.