Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Almost mid-April and no communication as promised.

Delays are not desirable but understandable and forgivable. But lack of communication is frustrating. I am new to Tesla and like to get into a "long-term relationship" with our cars since I buy frequently, This does not bode well for Tesla. We may cancel our X for the new Cadillac coming since they may be out a similar times if delays keep up.

The bigger issue on delivery is that I went to the JLR dealer and the have a spec'd Defender 90X that I have been wanting ready for delivery. All my JLR vehicles have been great and better yet - JLR is great to deal with and communicates. They even told me the boat and video link to see it coming in on port. The delay is palatable but if still now communication soon, I will just go with the Defender and cancel Tesla. When ready in 1-2 years for a new car, will see what EV's are on the market.

This kills me because I am vested in Tesla and really want this to work but if this is how customer service works, then no thank you. Will stick out a little longer for delivery news.
If you wait, I have a high degree of surety that you will love the car. Don't, however, expect comms to markedly improve post-delivery.

RN1143* no delivery date, ordered early 1/13/2021, converted 02/10/2021 (RN stayed the same). And I still don't see the 2K reduction the orders placed before the pre-refresh announcement we were promised? I actually waited 3 days before I visited this thread again (nothing new)! Oh, and here in MO/KS they take our evidence of insurance on another vehicle, no problem, not VIN specific.

Has anyone else been receiving porsche taycan targeted advertisements?
No but the local Porsche dealer has plenty of Taycans to choose from. Unlike the Chevy, GMC and Ford dealers whose lots are devoid of pick-ups and large SUV's. And the local Honda dealer's storage lot is empty. The Cadillac dealer's usual row of Escalades is down to two, and their usual selection of XT4's, 5's and 6's is down to just a few. Between the chip shortage, and the economy picking up, and increased public optimism, and many people who have fat bank accounts because they worked through COVID but lacked opportunity to spend their money, this is a bad time to buy an ICE vehicle.

It might be a function of the state you’re registering it in…
[Edit: Just checked and now I see that you’re in California. So make sure that you have everything done correctly uploaded insurance card and all of the data entered correctly]

Proof of insurance is required to take delivery, and must be valid for the next 60-90 days. If you're registering in these 12 states, insurance can be provided for an existing car. In all other states, insurance must be provided for the Model S.

• Arizona
  • California
  • Hawaii
  • Illinois
  • Indiana
  • Maryland
  • Minnesota
  • Ohio
  • Oregon
  • Tennessee
  • Virginia
  • Washington
Yes that's the list of states from Tesla. I found it strange that PA isn't listed, because we can add a purchase to our insurance after buying it. Then last week my SA accepted the PA insurance form for my Mazda and marked the insurance step as complete.

Edit: Now I see that GrnSqrl covered this.

Reactions: GrnSqrl
I was waiting to test drive the new S. I’ve become impatient and put in an order for a model 3 lr (May upgrade to performance after a Wednesday test drive).
Schedule delivery is late May/early June. I’m coming from an X3. Do you think the S will be a material upgrade? If I reserve both but only buy 1, will I lose $100?

I’m also considering sticking with the 3 foot a year and letting Tesla work through production ramp issues.

thoughts?

I was waiting to test drive the new S. I’ve become impatient and put in an order for a model 3 lr (May upgrade to performance after a Wednesday test drive).
Schedule delivery is late May/early June. I’m coming from an X3. Do you think the S will be a material upgrade? If I reserve both but only buy 1, will I lose $100?

I’m also considering sticking with the 3 foot a year and letting Tesla work through production ramp issues.

thoughts?
From a previous 3 owner, yes there is a significant material difference. For folks coming from non-luxury cars you would be absolutely happy with a 3 and if you are coming from years of luxury car ownership you *may* not like a 3

Reactions: Fred42

thoughts?
You may get VIN notifications for both the M3 & MS around the same time actually. And there are big differences between the M3 & MS, mostly the size, cargo space, shape, extra display screens in the MS, range, & of course cost. M3s are everywhere and a dime/dozen vs the MS which of course is the top Tesla sedan (and now designed a bit more aggressive to be the sports sedan...and MS Plaid version for being the quickest production vehicle ever). Up to you. There are articles online comparing the MS & M3. To each, his own. 👍🏻

Reactions: Hayseed_MS

thoughts?
I believe the $100 is non refundable but call your SA and see if you can get a ‘one cancels the other‘ deal on the deposit, worth asking. BMW X3? Chalk and cheese, Model S is a completely different car and, in my opinion based on driving the previous model, a definite material upgrade.

Latest on my delivery to NY. MS LR. Ordered 2/5. ETA on account July. Reached out to my point person at Tesla in Las Vegas, couldn’t shed much light but guessed delays were possibly due to chip shortages. Reached out my SA who said delivery would be by the summer but couldn’t be more specific as didn’t want to get hopes up and as further delays possible. I will continue to be patient. Thanks to all for the posts as we wait this out.

Latest on my delivery to NY. MS LR. Ordered 2/5. ETA on account July. Reached out to my point person at Tesla in Las Vegas, couldn’t shed much light but guessed delays were possibly due to chip shortages. Reached out my SA who said delivery would be by the summer but couldn’t be more specific as didn’t want to get hopes up and as further delays possible. I will continue to be patient. Thanks to all for the posts as we wait this out.

Did you SA at least clarify that it be summer of 2021 and not 2022?

• Funny
Reactions: omarsultan
I'm from the X forum, but there is much more activity (and fun) over here. I ordered a pre-refresh X and updated order after refresh. I never had any mention of delivery in my dashboard at all. Totally blank until today. I now have a line that says "Estimated Delivery" and a "-". Yep! A dash. It is crazy that this little dash has actually brought me excitement after months of having zero mention of delivery.

Shoot, the feeling like train might just be squeaking its way to a start as demonstrated by new dash may buy me another month or two of goodwill and patience!

I'm from the X forum, but there is much more activity (and fun) over here. I ordered a pre-refresh X and updated order after refresh. I never had any mention of delivery in my dashboard at all. Totally blank until today. I now have a line that says "Estimated Delivery" and a "-". Yep! A dash. It is crazy that this little dash has actually brought me excitement after months of having zero mention of delivery.

Shoot, the feeling like train might just be squeaking its way to a start as demonstrated by new dash may buy me another month or two of goodwill and patience!
It’s the small things that keep us engaged as we wait!

Haha welcome, just replace that X is an S, no one will know and keeps the mods happy 😄.

@Drew-MS I totally agree with you, but the “argument” Tesla would make, and the reason they can effectively lie about S and X production, is it is no longer material to their finances. As well, the SEC has effectively given up on monitoring Elon’s tweets and told investors “caveat emptor” with respect to his tweets. I am not a lawyer, but I know materiality and intent are critical to the SEC and Tesla could sell zero S or Xs this year and it likely wouldn’t matter. The exception could be if they’re plowing zillions into the production line, but I doubt that’s meaningful either compared to the giga factories, etc. I don’t think anyone could prove Tesla intentionally misled anyone seeing as there’s no material benefit for them to have done so.

“Estimated Delivery: -“, per usual. SA says May-June delivery. Waited a year + for my X. I can easily wait and whine as long as y’all keep me company! Back to the tea leaves...

Last edited: