Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have pasted a screenshot of the text I received. FYI, my SA had advised me to complete my profile, including the insurance info (as I live in MD, I just had to provide details of insurance for one of my current cars) and payment option (picked cash).

I got the same text. I wouldn't get my hopes up on it. My estimated delivery date is still "-". I ordered 3/31/2021. Like a dangling carrot.

Reactions: Electric Magic
Hi everyone. I've been following this forum for quite a while, but I just registered as a member today. This will be the first Tesla that I've owned, but I've driven them quite a bit. I'm probably going to ask some stupid questions, so I'm asking for forgiveness and patience up front. Like most of you, I ordered my MSLR and am still waiting on any real updates. Here is my build info for those who are interested: Ordered 02/18/2021 RN114531939
View attachment 661348
At the bottom, you'll see that if I decide to make any changes it may affect delivery date and may be subject to a fee. Has anyone here done that? If I decide to change my mind about the Black paint and opt for Red, would it really affect delivery for a car that hasn't even been built yet? Just curious if anyone here has made a change to their order and how did that go for you?
Matty, we're about to be rocking the same car and I'm a C-17 bubba out in CA. What do you do at Scott?

I've never leased a car before, but thinking about doing the model S for 24 months at 15k miles a year.

I just think that, with the way the battery technology is going with the 4680s, two years from when we finally get this damn thing will be right around the time 4680s are being mass produced, assuming no insane delays (obviously very possible).

Gives me 2 years of fun with the car under warranty, but after that, I'd rather get the hot new thing. I just see so many changes coming. Structural battery, HW4, better/more efficient motors/drivetrain and, not the least of which, big price changes one way or another. Also, in two years there will be so much more competition and hopefully better infastructure. I'll probably get killed on the cost, idk haven't ran the numbers, but thought has crossed my mind. I don't see myself keeping the car more than 2-3 years max.

I will not lease because I pound the miles on the car and do not want to worry about it. I also,do not worry about depreciation - it is worth what it is worth at trade-in. However, with the technology changing, you have a point on leasing and just walking away in a year or two.

However, with the technology changing, you have a point on leasing and just walking away in a year or two.
But that's been true for ICE vehicles as well. I personally plan to keep mine till the wheels fall off. I assume battery pack prices will go down in 10 years, and motors can be replaced. I drove my last car for 17 years.

I will not lease because I pound the miles on the car and do not want to worry about it. I also,do not worry about depreciation - it is worth what it is worth at trade-in. However, with the technology changing, you have a point on leasing and just walking away in a year or two.

I'm the same way about driving them a lot but, I would never want to own a Tesla out of the bumper to bumper warranty, especially not a new product like this that I'm sure will be full of fun surprises.

I'm the same way about driving them a lot but, I would never want to own a Tesla out of the bumper to bumper warranty, especially not a new product like this that I'm sure will be full of fun surprises.

No matter how good or bad this S is, I will not own more than 2 years before to something else. Hopefully another Tesla since they will me so happy with the current one...

Reactions: TNGuy99 and T-Racer
FYI -- trying to figure out if what's currently listed on the Tesla store site fit the new refreshed MS or not, so I just sent an e-mail to my SA inquiring about the dimensions of the refreshed MS Plaid trunk (for the trunk mat) and floor mats, and he responded that they simply don't have the dimensions until an actual vehicle arrives at their local facility.

But, I was just thinking about this logically…isn’t there someone at Tesla Corporate that he can simply contact to inquire about the dimensions of the trunk mat and floor mats (and wheel locks) for the new refreshed MS at this time, just weeks ahead of actual deliveries? I mean, this is a vehicle which is supposed to be “in production” according to Elon Musk on the last conference call in April (and yes, I know back in Jan or Feb as well, but that was incorrect) and certainly there have been many “engineering test vehicles” seen all over the United States including a couple here in the Ft Lauderdale, FL area.

SOMEONE at Tesla Corporate must know the answers to these questions without requiring a local Tesla store/service ctr to physically have a new refreshed MS LR or Plaid. Sorry, but for a company with an $800+ billion valuation and 10 years of working experience, I would think the process of gathering such trivial information just weeks ahead of actual vehicle deliveries would be a simple phone call or email to Tesla Corporate, no??????? Something really isn’t right here; am I missing something? This entire process and company are completely ABSURD. Exactly what are the local SA's for? What are their responsibilities and why bother employing them if they don't know anything nor can they find anything out from HQ? :rolleyes::mad:

Something isn't right. I have a feeling deliveries may in fact NOT start until July at the very earliest. Sorry guys. Just a bad gut feeling about all of this.

Reactions: PWRUP
FYI -- trying to figure out if what's currently listed on the Tesla store site fit the new refreshed MS or not, so I just sent an e-mail to my SA inquiring about the dimensions of the refreshed MS Plaid trunk (for the trunk mat) and floor mats, and he responded that they simply don't have the dimensions until an actual vehicle arrives at their local facility.

But, I was just thinking about this logically…isn’t there someone at Tesla Corporate that he can simply contact to inquire about the dimensions of the trunk mat and floor mats (and wheel locks) for the new refreshed MS at this time, just weeks ahead of actual deliveries? I mean, this is a vehicle which is supposed to be “in production” according to Elon Musk on the last conference call in April (and yes, I know back in Jan or Feb as well, but that was incorrect) and certainly there have been many “engineering test vehicles” seen all over the United States including a couple here in the Ft Lauderdale, FL area.

SOMEONE at Tesla Corporate must know the answers to these questions without requiring a local Tesla store/service ctr to physically have a new refreshed MS LR or Plaid. Sorry, but for a company with an $800+ billion valuation and 10 years of working experience, I would think the process of gathering such trivial information just weeks ahead of actual vehicle deliveries would be a simple phone call or email to Tesla Corporate, no??????? Something really isn’t right here; am I missing something? This entire process and company are completely ABSURD. Exactly what are the local SA's for? What are their responsibilities and why bother employing them if they don't know anything nor can they find anything out from HQ? :rolleyes::mad:

Something isn't right. I have a feeling deliveries may in fact NOT start until July at the very earliest. Sorry guys. Just a bad gut feeling about all of this.

Sorry, I have to say the "10 years of working experience" is pretty funny. More like ~4 years of mass market production and this is the first complete refresh of an existing product, it might as well be a new product launch.

I agree things aren't going smoothly but let's not act like this is Ford or something. It's still a young company trying to figure out wtf is going on. The market cap is irrelevant, all hype nothing to do with experience or complications of the refresh.

I'm pretty sure they like to keep specifics close to the chest. Once they start answering these questions, the internet gets flooded with info they can no longer control. Don't forget, they have several competitors trying to copy and best their efforts. That being said, being an early adopter is frustrating.

Reactions: T-Racer
Sorry, I have to say the "10 years of working experience" is pretty funny. More like ~4 years of mass market production and this is the first completely refresh of an existing product, it might as well be a new product launch.

I agree things aren't going smoothly but let's not act like this is Ford or something. It's still a young company trying to figure out wtf is going on. The market cap is irrelevant, all hype nothing to do with experience or complications of the refresh.
Still doesn't excuse the lack of basic corporate structure, policies, communication, and such. It's rather pathetic, especially in a very rapidly changing/evolving EV world with the major auto mfgr's (as well as new ones like Lucid and Rivian which seem to have much better knowledge on how to market automobiles) catching up very quickly to Tesla in terms of technology. For me personally, I have a feeling the MS Plaid may be my first Tesla (2nd EV) and my LAST Tesla; I'll probably buy a Porsche EV, Audi EV, Mercedes-Benz (AMG?) EV, or possibly a Lucid EV after this in 2-3 years. This Tesla crap is already getting old and I haven't even taken delivery yet, lol! :mad::p

Reactions: JimLL
I'm pretty sure they like to keep specifics close to the chest. Once they start answering these questions, the internet gets flooded with info they can no longer control. Don't forget, they have several competitors trying to copy and best their efforts. That being said, being an early adopter is frustrating.
They're all trying to copy each other a bit; that's been going on for decades. But it doesn't excuse the kinds of bs nonsense Tesla puts out...total failure in so many ways.

And they are still working on taking features out of @Tigers vehicle. Down one tilting screen...

Just wait...I'm going to give you one week with the car "god damn it, how am I supposed to reach 'X' thing ~12 inches away from me?!" 😂

@sflgator - I agree on a lot of that - doing *sugar* under the table, changing the feature set this late in the game, etc. All of that's bullshit. But I really do think it is like a new product launch and to a degree I'm good with saying "alright, emerging tech, top-of-the-line tech" etc. and get over some of it.

Now, I think an email from Elon/execs apologizing for the wait and giving us all a more realistic timeline vs "meh, probably next month" is in order. Completely agree. But, I still get it. They are clearly tinkering with this damn thing so who knows what we end up with. If they take out the noise cancelling though, Im cancelling!

One thing I noticed about the lease is that the cost to increase from 10K to 15K miles is nominal. It adds $49/mo on an LR and if you think about it you're getting 50% more value (miles) for $49/mo more.
It’s nominal with the plaid as well and I was also surprised. The comparison between lease vs. purchase is very different with 15k miles per year instead of 10k.
A refresh with 45k miles after 3 years will be worth quite a bit less than the same car with 30k miles. If I thought I’d drive 15k miles a year, I’d definitely lease. Since the refresh won’t be my only car, I’ll probably drive about 7500 miles year.

Reactions: T-Racer
Once a VIN is issued, does the Tesla landing page show the VIN as opposed to the reservation number? I'd like to save the step of actually clicking "Manage" to see the (lack of) updates.
The RN will update to the VIN on the first page. The one benefit of hitting the manage button is to see if your delivery date had been updated.

Based on experiences with our S and X I'd be willing to roll the dice to own one beyond the 4 year/50K mile warranty, but not beyond the battery/drive unit warranty.

Out of interest, I compared the cost to lease vs. purchase and I'm not sure which makes more sense. A plaid S for 36 months and 10k miles per year will cost $7500 down and $1,843 per month for 36 months ($1,680 plus 8.625% NY tax.) In total, the 36 month lease will cost about $74,500.
To purchase the car, the total is $132k (with tax) compared to $74,500 for a 36 month lease.
So will the car with 30k miles be worth more or less than $57,500 ($132k - $74.5k) after 36 months.
If less, then leasing sounds better. If the car will be worth more than $57,500 after 3 years, then purchase makes more sense.
Anyone have an opinion of the value at the end of the lease? A 3 year old Plaid model S with 30,000 miles. I honestly have no idea lol
Edit: when leasing, you only pay tax on the total of payments plus the $7500 down.
Well, Teslas depreciate faster than anything on the planet, although part of that has been due to newer models having more capability and costing less than older models. Assuming they don’t come out with Plaid++ with 600 miles range and 1.0 0-60 times in a few years, depreciation may not be as bad. Then again, in three years there will be who knows what from Lucid, Rivan, MBZ etc. so maybe holding value will still be a problem. As the saying goes, you pays your money and takes your chances either way.

• Disagree
Reactions: Fred42
Well, Teslas depreciate faster than anything on the planet, although part of that has been due to newer models having more capability and costing less than older models. Assuming they don’t come out with Plaid++ with 600 miles range and 1.0 0-60 times in a few years, depreciation may not be as bad. Then again, in three years there will be who knows what from Lucid, Rivan, MBZ etc. so maybe holding value will still be a problem. As the saying goes, you pays your money and takes your chances either way.

Good point an luckily I am buying as a tool and not as an investment.

Disagree - sold a 12 month old Model 3 with 25,000 miles on it after a price drop AND interior/range update and only lost just a bit under 15%. That aint bad for that kind of mileage + updates. I bought literally 2 months before the damn updates too lol.

Well my 2015 S70D (low mileage) was worth 43K (tax/title costs included) when it was totalled in November (about 5 and 1/2 yrs old) and cost about 91K (before taxes). so I think a Plaid would be at least 57.5K after 3 yrs. They do hold their value.
Hi everyone. I've been following this forum for quite a while, but I just registered as a member today. This will be the first Tesla that I've owned, but I've driven them quite a bit. I'm probably going to ask some stupid questions, so I'm asking for forgiveness and patience up front. Like most of you, I ordered my MSLR and am still waiting on any real updates. Here is my build info for those who are interested: Ordered 02/18/2021 RN114531939
View attachment 661348
At the bottom, you'll see that if I decide to make any changes it may affect delivery date and may be subject to a fee. Has anyone here done that? If I decide to change my mind about the Black paint and opt for Red, would it really affect delivery for a car that hasn't even been built yet? Just curious if anyone here has made a change to their order and how did that go for you?
You can ask your SA. I changed mine a month ago from black to cream interior and my RN stayed the same, so I presume I didn’t get kicked to the back of the line. The closer you make that change to your production date though it may become more of a problem. Also, you can’t make those changes yourself, you need to speak to a SA who can do it for you.