Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey, I have an update. Mine never had a "dash" under delivery before!
Where is everyone seeing a "delivery" field? When I log into the tesla.com/teslaaccount page, I only see this...

1620763860103.png

At one time, there was a stock image of my built Plaid+ S. It's not there anymore for some reason.

Under build details, nothing about delivery...

1620763941700.png

I've talked to my SA a couple of times on the phone and he doesn't have much for me either.

Hi everyone. I've been following this forum for quite a while, but I just registered as a member today. This will be the first Tesla that I've owned, but I've driven them quite a bit. I'm probably going to ask some stupid questions, so I'm asking for forgiveness and patience up front. Like most of you, I ordered my MSLR and am still waiting on any real updates. Here is my build info for those who are interested: Ordered 02/18/2021 RN114531939
View attachment 661348
At the bottom, you'll see that if I decide to make any changes it may affect delivery date and may be subject to a fee. Has anyone here done that? If I decide to change my mind about the Black paint and opt for Red, would it really affect delivery for a car that hasn't even been built yet? Just curious if anyone here has made a change to their order and how did that go for you?
I ordered the exact same car. Changes may or may not matter. It really just depends on what you change when. Tesla builds in batches and then sends them out. So you may actually move up in line by changing color, but there is no way to really know. On my first order back in 2013 I changed to the performance seats at no costs a few weeks before it was built. FSD I have been told won't change anything if you add/subtract it. Sorry, not a great answer, but in the grand scheme of things, order what you want. A delay of a week or two, or getting the color you want will be worth it.

Reactions: MAZADR
I extensively looked at the numbers for leasing versus loan. Key factors in leasing are money factor and residual value they compute. For my numbers and figuring the 13% annual depreciation rate of typical MS, a loan offered me an opportunity to gain a little equity after three years ($18k) above the difference in down, taxes, payments, and lease costs. Essentially at the end of the lease i had no equity after payments; with loan, I had a some equity based on depreciation and expected value after three years.
When I placed my order, to purchase the car seemed to make more sense. However, there are some factors and unknowns to consider:
* Will the plaid plus with 520 miles range, lighter, faster, etc. be a better value than plaid.
* Tesla could add new tech to the refresh within 3 years.
* The price of a new Model S could drop within 3 years.
* New battery technology could be improved which could depreciate prior years.

I don't even care about the unknowns mentioned above including depreciation. I just want to make sure I make the right decision to purchase vs. lease.

Reactions: Desert Dave
Where is everyone seeing a "delivery" field? When I log into the tesla.com/teslaaccount page, I only see this...

View attachment 661373

At one time, there was a stock image of my built Plaid+ S. It's not there anymore for some reason.

View attachment 661375

I've talked to my SA a couple of times on the phone and he doesn't have much for me either.
Mine is listed on the page I get when I click the "manage" button.

I ordered the exact same car. Changes may or may not matter. It really just depends on what you change when. Tesla builds in batches and then sends them out. So you may actually move up in line by changing color, but there is no way to really know. On my first order back in 2013 I changed to the performance seats at no costs a few weeks before it was built. FSD I have been told won't change anything if you add/subtract it. Sorry, not a great answer, but in the grand scheme of things, order what you want. A delay of a week or two, or getting the color you want will be worth it.
I probably won't change it, but as more time goes by waiting...I start to waffle on the color. On a side note, my delivery date has always been 5-11 weeks from order placed date. I've seen other people post that their date keeps changing. I've never seen a date for mine and, If my math is right, 11 weeks was last Thursday...but who who's counting? My expected window for delivery has passed, but still no change to what is displayed in my account. If the delivery pushes past the beginning of July, I'm going to have to change my delivery address. I'm going away for 5 months for some training and I'll have to take delivery in Florida rather than Illinois where I am currently.
I've seen other people post that their date keeps changing.
1620764691693.png

This entire thread is a cycle, typical flow:

Yolk or Regular Steering 3+ pages
Yolk Approval 2+pages
Chip Shortage 1+page
Fremont Permits 1+ page
Free supercharger miles 3+pages
Random text from SA with zero useful info. 2+pages
Tesla Account Down, Updates coming 1+ page

end of day, we are in the same position.
Don't forget, some comments about delays due to calibrate the yolk.

And also an occasional weirdo who spells yoke correctly. :)

View attachment 661373

View attachment 661375

View attachment 661373

View attachment 661375

I don’t understand this order. A Plaid or Plaid+ doesn’t have Turbine wheels or Oak Wood Decor as an option.

• Funny
Reactions: Drew-MS
Well my 2015 S70D (low mileage) was worth 43K (tax/title costs included) when it was totalled in November (about 5 and 1/2 yrs old) and cost about 91K (before taxes). so I think a Plaid would be at least 57.5K after 3 yrs. They do hold their value.
My last car purchase held its value really well. I bought a 93 3000GT VR-4 in 2004 for 16k (3k over KBB). I sold it in December for 14.5K.

I'm just gonna go ahead and ignore the whole inflation thing. :cool:

View attachment 661373

View attachment 661375

View attachment 661373

View attachment 661375

View attachment 661373

View attachment 661375

“The first three digits of the VIN, “5JY,” indicates that the vehicle was manufactured by Tesla, as 5YJ represents Tesla’s World Manufacturer Identifier. All Tesla VINs begin with 5YJ.”

Except for China. Tesla will bend over backwards to communicate in China. In the US they could not care less and I don’t think that will change until they start losing significant sales to competitors.
I ordered my Model S long range about the same time and I get monthly messages with no real update on delivery date. This is the first car I have experienced this with. I have order two custom high end BMWs and one Porsche and the Tesla experience is the worst I have ever seen. I am even putting solar on my home and the solar dealer told me not to go with a Tesla system because they treat their customers the same ways the car side of the business treats their customers with. I am a little worried that if this is the way I am treated now, what happens if I need a major fix in my new car? The black hole is just not professional not acceptable... but then I have no choice for a Tesla Model S Long Range. Competition is coming to the EV market and the other car companies don’t treat their customers like this.

“The first three digits of the VIN, “5JY,” indicates that the vehicle was manufactured by Tesla, as 5YJ represents Tesla’s World Manufacturer Identifier. All Tesla VINs begin with 5YJ.”
Once a VIN is issued, does the Tesla landing page show the VIN as opposed to the reservation number? I'd like to save the step of actually clicking "Manage" to see the (lack of) updates.

FWIW. Visited showroom today in Southwest Florida. Went there to change delivery destination because we are going to NC for the summer and would pick up MS in Nashville. SA asked me when we are coming back and I said September. He advised not to change delivery destination now as MS deliveries will not start until September. I said I assumed that was for new orders and he said they have nothing specific on that.

I learned that the VIN is the last thing to go on the car. He told me that from time of receiving VIN to delivery to Eastern US is 2-3 weeks. So, for those who are concerned about not being able to get insurance without a VIN, it appears there would be time to get insured.

He also said that we have 3 days from delivery date notification to pick up the car with no exceptions. They have so many orders that the Fort Myers center cannot hold a car for more than 3 days because they need room for new arrivals ”There is so much demand that we will sell your car to someone else if not picked up in the three day window.”

MS LR | Red | Cream |Tempest | Order RN1142 | November 2020

Out of interest, I compared the cost to lease vs. purchase and I'm not sure which makes more sense. A plaid S for 36 months and 10k miles per year will cost $7500 down and $1,843 per month for 36 months ($1,680 plus 8.625% NY tax.) In total, the 36 month lease will cost about $74,500.
To purchase the car, the total is $132k (with tax) compared to $74,500 for a 36 month lease.
So will the car with 30k miles be worth more or less than $57,500 ($132k - $74.5k) after 36 months.
If less, then leasing sounds better. If the car will be worth more than $57,500 after 3 years, then purchase makes more sense.
Anyone have an opinion of the value at the end of the lease? A 3 year old Plaid model S with 30,000 miles. I honestly have no idea lol
Edit: when leasing, you only pay tax on the total of payments plus the $7500 down.
One thing I noticed about the lease is that the cost to increase from 10K to 15K miles is nominal. It adds $49/mo on an LR and if you think about it you're getting 50% more value (miles) for $49/mo more.

Reactions: Drew-MS
I've never leased a car before, but thinking about doing the model S for 24 months at 15k miles a year.

I just think that, with the way the battery technology is going with the 4680s, two years from when we finally get this damn thing will be right around the time 4680s are being mass produced, assuming no insane delays (obviously very possible).

Gives me 2 years of fun with the car under warranty, but after that, I'd rather get the hot new thing. I just see so many changes coming. Structural battery, HW4, better/more efficient motors/drivetrain and, not the least of which, big price changes one way or another. Also, in two years there will be so much more competition and hopefully better infastructure. I'll probably get killed on the cost, idk haven't ran the numbers, but thought has crossed my mind. I don't see myself keeping the car more than 2-3 years max.