Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most manufacturers have a policy of not commeting on future products.

It will be some time before we can get some actual hands on reporting and reviews from early owners.

I remember waiting 1 1/2 years to take delivery of my first X. Nobody knew what a fantastic car it would turn out to be, and there were lots of last minute changes made, some just prior to delivery. They changed the battery spec from 70 kWh to 75 kWh and increased the included tow hitch from 3,500 lbs to full sized 5,000 lbs just prior to shipping. Soon after I took delivery they downloaded free upgrades to automated windshield wipers and headlight dimming settings. They have both been improved greatly since the initial specs.

Tesla wants to keep some flexibility as they get running down the final stretch. Imagine they will want to pack as many goodies as possible into the finished product.

As far as the intriguing yoke steering I imagine that it will come out with initial parameters and settings. After it gets some time in the hands of customers, Tesla can always OTA download enhanced settings an options as they are refined.

Sent this message to my SA today:
“Looks like my eta changed again yesterday.
RN11462####
Estimated Delivery: now August
Was:
June 01 - June 30
No worries - Just an FYI
If demo vehicles come in before August, I’d love to get a test drive. If for no other reason, to see if I’m comfortable with the yolk steering with no stalks setup.”

Response from SA:
“Sounds good! I’ll be interested to see how these ETA is actually work. They are not actually going to be putting demo cars in show rooms this year it looks like. Demand it’s just far too high and there’s too many people like yourself you’ve been waiting”

Reactions: T-Racer
Tried to convert Plaid+ order to Plaid but no change at all. Cancelled Plaid+ and ordered on 4/9, banking on EoQ push to California to get it in June.

Oh yeah - you're going to be August/September for sure. There ain't no way you are getting one of these in June with an April 9th order.

No hate towards you personally, but it is somewhat reassuring that maybe these new dates are getting more and more accurate. Initially, everyone getting June-ish had to have been a mistake and it seems like Tesla is reworking all of that. Sorry bud, but I do think overall at least it means the system is getting some mix ups worked out.

I feel like us no date people are going to get worked in depending on the RN/spec at the end of the re-sort, like last time.

Last edited:
We still don't even know exactly the ways to shift the car and yet no one has cancelled because of that 😂

And if you think the delivery people will know anything, well...

Should be fun!
Exactly. When I picked up my 2015 P85D I asked about the adaptive cruise response if you are traveling at freeway speeds and hit a traffic jam. When I asked if it would slow down in time from 70 the delivery person just shrugged their shoulders. I’m certain when we get our cars the people delivering will be just as clueless as to the new functions.

Hilariously, I have no date, but it says "isFromAdminTool:true" haha! Guess the admin tool is screwing me.

Even more hilarious---

My trade-in expired today and my SA told me to renew one more time before delivery. So today, I renewed when I rec'd the e-mail. Now my account says valuation pending and shows now date - not even the area for a date. That parts is all gone. I think I will just cancel my trade-in for now so it does not screw anything up.

Reactions: Honcho7
Even more hilarious---

My trade-in expired today and my SA told me to renew one more time before delivery. So today, I renewed when I rec'd the e-mail. Now my account says valuation pending and shows now date - not even the area for a date. That parts is all gone. I think I will just cancel my trade-in for now so it does not screw anything up.

Remind me - did it still say June 1 - June 30 prior? Also, what are you trading in?

Reactions: omarsultan
Remind me - did it still say June 1 - June 30 prior? Also, what are you trading in?

When I did the trade it had nothing in there last month. Putting the trade had no effect. However, now, when I just said I do not want to trade-in, it refreshed my page back to the way it was formatted previously but now the date is totally blank - back to the way it was at the beginning of April. I will be calling teh SA tomorrow.

ETA: I did something. Looking at the source code, isfromadmintool = true and no date is listed there now. I think I broke the internet.

When I did the trade it had nothing in there last month. Putting the trade had no effect. However, now, when I just said I do not want to trade-in, it refreshed my page back to the way it was formatted previously but now the date is totally blank - back to the way it was at the beginning of April. I will be calling teh SA tomorrow.

ETA: I did something. Looking at the source code, isfromadmintool = true and no date is listed there now. I think I broke the internet.

Their website and whatever connected delivery database is just one giant piece of *sugar*. Changing/removing/adding a trade-in should make zero difference on vehicle delivery. I don't think it will make a difference on delivery timelines, but even the system shouldn't change because of that.

Their website and whatever connected delivery database is just one giant piece of *sugar*. Changing/removing/adding a trade-in should make zero difference on vehicle delivery. I don't think it will make a difference on delivery timelines, but even the system shouldn't change because of that.
And even Tesla does not fully understand how it works.

Just in case anyone is collecting statistics ... I'm RN1142*, delivery to Texas, ordered mid-December (MSM, cream interior, no other fanciness hardware-wise though I'm really not a fan of those default wheels). Original delivery date was 2/15-3/15, which went away when the refresh was announced and the page had no mention of delivery other than "we'll reach out to you." I yanked the trade-in a couple of weeks ago and traded it locally for a used 2018 S, which I have yet to make a payment on, and now I have the same June 1 - June 30 date that others are seeing. 🤷‍♂️

I ordered online and aside from an introductory text message, have never heard from or attempted to contact my SA but I'm sure he's a great guy.

Incidentally I was out last week and y'all posted nearly 100 pages to this thread. Y'all are crazy 😄

Reactions: BruceR61
Just in case anyone is collecting statistics ... I'm RN1142*, delivery to Texas, ordered mid-December (MSM, cream interior, no other fanciness hardware-wise though I'm really not a fan of those default wheels). Original delivery date was 2/15-3/15, which went away when the refresh was announced and the page had no mention of delivery other than "we'll reach out to you." I yanked the trade-in a couple of weeks ago and traded it locally for a used 2018 S, which I have yet to make a payment on, and now I have the same June 1 - June 30 date that others are seeing. 🤷‍♂️

I ordered online and aside from an introductory text message, have never heard from or attempted to contact my SA but I'm sure he's a great guy.

Incidentally I was out last week and y'all posted nearly 100 pages to this thread. Y'all are crazy 😄

Your order seems like one that should fit June so hopefully it sticks!