Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't get me started! Seems that his number for everything and it's a little exhausting. That said, I wasn't aware of the potential credit, I just think the car is cool!
The original intention of the tax credit was to encourage and facilitate the adoption of alternative fuel vehicles. Since EV's are still more expensive than their ICE counterparts, it makes sense to provide a discount or incentive to people that might not otherwise be able to afford an entry level EV. Since the average new car price in the US is just north of 37K, it makes sense to give people shopping for a car in this price range the ability to step up to a Model 3 or Model Y and get a tax break that will make that car an equivalent price. While I would love to be eligible for a $7,500 tax credit, I can definitely see that the original intention of the EV credit was not to enable luxury car buyers to get a discount while buying a six figure car. The EV credit would be nice, but it isn't going to alter my purchasing decision.

Canada gives the EV discount based on purchase price not income limits. British Columbia caps the price of the car at 55k and Quebec caps it at 75K. I don't know what the answer is, but I do strongly believe that the manufacturing limits that capped the EV credit to 200K vehicles needs to be removed immediately. There is no reason to penalize companies such as Tesla and GM for their early action to move us to an EV future. Why give tax credits to people buying foreign cars and penalize American companies? It makes no sense!

Last edited:
Reactions: AnselmDante
True - but the overall point remains: for those waiting on the tax credit - just know Biden is trying to hold it for only household incomes of $249,999. IDK how many of you are in that boat, but I won't be waiting (which I figured would the case all along). Short-sighted of Biden, but whatevs.

I think one the main goals of the revamped tax credit is to get people into EVs who, under normal circumstances, would not even consider an EV due to price premiums above ICE vehicles. For buyers of cars like the MS etc that price premium over EVs is most likely not an issue.

So I’m guessing that the thinking is, why waste incentives on wealthier people who are going to buy an EV regardless of whether incentives apply or not.

I think one the main goals of the revamped tax credit is to get people into EVs who, under normal circumstances, would not even consider an EV due to price premiums above ICE vehicles. For buyers of cars like the MS etc that price premium over EVs is most likely not an issue.

So I’m guessing that the thinking is, why waste incentives on wealthier people who are going to buy an EV regardless of whether incentives apply or not.

Well for many reasons. The more expensive cars pay for the development of the cheaper cars. There are still tons of wealthy people driving ice that, sure they don't NEED the money, but it could help create value for them to consider EVs...

I do feel bad for the first timers. They aren't getting a very good impression. I think once they drive the car they will love it (and won't go back to ICE), but making them wait 6 months or so is a huge risk.
I'm a first timer. Need an additional car when I have to start driving into the office again in September, and the Mrs is using all of this drama as a reason to bash Tesla. My delivery date was initially August when I ordered, and has been blank for the past 2 weeks.

Well for many reasons. The more expensive cars pay for the development of the cheaper cars. There are still tons of wealthy people driving ice that, sure they don't NEED the money, but it could help create value for them to consider EVs...

The first part is why Tesla needs to keep the S and X around. They are the flagship and bring in profit if done right.

Reactions: Tigers
I'm a first timer. Need an additional car when I have to start driving into the office again in September, and the Mrs is using all of this drama as a reason to bash Tesla. My delivery date was initially August when I ordered, and has been blank for the past 2 weeks.

Have your lovely bride log on to here and we will set her straight...

First time Tesla buyer also. Test drove a 3, found it amazing and placed an order for a MS......Must be twice+ as good, right? 😁
Our “10-14 Weeks” delivery window won’t start until mid-June so not having a date yet makes sense for us.
I've never even sat in a Tesla. I have thought they look awesome for a long time, saved some money and set some goals, and hopped on the bandwagon, coincidentally, immediately after the refresh announcement. So the first time I get inside of a Tesla it will be my brand new one. And to feed the "If you don't make $250k, you shouldn't be getting this car," argument, that is bananas. I'm not even close to that and am capable of "saving money" and "setting goals"...you can still have luxury items and not be pulling in $250K a year

If, on the low end, you are buying an $80K car (before taxes) with less than $250k a year coming in...you're either a poser or are making a huge financial mistake.

I'm relatively young - not married and have no kids nor a mortgage - no chance in hell I'd even bother looking at this car below $250K.
Yea im 28 no kids and im not even half that. But my paid off C7Z06 im trading in and the down payment im putting down. Makes the model x plaid monthly payment cheaper that what I was spending on gas 2 years ago daily driving a Camaro ZL1.

Reactions: T-Racer
Yea im 28 no kids and im not even half that. But my paid off C7Z06 im trading in and the down payment im putting down. Makes the model x plaid monthly payment cheaper that what I was spending on gas 2 years ago daily driving a Camaro ZL1.
It seems like Tigers really hit a nerve with his income projection and generalization. Everyone obviously has very different life circumstances and cost of living variances. I just think the income level he stated is what his own personal circumstances dictate is rational to him.

You have to take into account so many different variables that you can not make a generalization on necessary income levels, since everyones monthly living expenses vary greatly.

Looks great and drives great with exceptional quality and handling. BUT, it would be cool if you could report to us your experiences with real-world range on the Taycan Turbo (or Turbo S...whichever you have), especially with some occassional "spirited" driving. Are you getting 200 mi max range? 220 mi max range? 250 mi max range? Or more? I mean, I think the Porsche/Audi EVs will be SO much better if/when they implement their supposed new architechure and batteries with supposed > 300 mi range. I couldn't justify spending $140k - $170k+ on an EV likely with LESS max battery range than my 250 mi. max range of the Jaguar I-Pace EV. No way, no how. I feel very comfortable with 350 mi. max battery range on my new Tesla MS Plaid with 21" wheels (and guessing that number could go up later with s/w updates and/or the new, special Michelin EV tires).
Range definitely depends on how you are driving. I have only done 2 trips so far of about 300km each. If I’m driving to have some fun, range is around 400km. I have seen others get 500km or more if they are driving it in range mode or normal. But my thinking is a Porsche is supposed to be driven like a Porsche and I don’t care too much about range. Plus the car is new so I’m having a little too much fun. Perhaps range will improve with time if I stop driving like a madman.
What an absolute beautiful car man. I test drove one a couple weeks ago while I was angrily waiting for the model s and comparing it to my m5 and the model 3 performance I preferred to stand pat and wait on the model s. Don’t get me wrong the Porsche was awesome but the supercharger network, the tesla app which controls everything on the car, more range and better performance I couldn’t jump ship until other EV’s catch up at least with the infrastructure. my girl on the other hand doesn’t care about stuff like that, just the design, she was all about getting the Porsche hahaha last night in bed she goes you know what car would look good in the garage ….. the Porsche smh
Fair point man. I truly wanted a Tesla - would have been my first but I’m not as patient as you all on here. Also, it was quite easy for me to stay with Porsche as I’ve owned two of their vehicles before the Taycan. The supercharger network is definitely a deal breaker if you’re doing long distance drives regularly. I have two other ICE vehicles so it wasn’t as much of an issue for me. I’ve also charged from about 5% to 80+ at the local Electrify Canada station in 15-20 mins on two occasions now. While the charging network isn’t great, there are enough around for me to feel comfortable taking it into the mountains or on a road trip.

• Informative
Reactions: sflgator

I think you’re right in an absolute sense, but I imagine that scarcity of funds for incentives makes them feel the need to prioritize for people who can only afford to shop in the $20k - $50k range. $7.5k off $30k is 25% price reduction. $7.5k off of $100k is, obviously, a 7.5% reduction in price.

The former discount will have a lot more impact on a prospective EV buyer. But this is all guesswork on my part so I could be completely wrong. Would hardly be the 1st time!

Reactions: EVonly

Two thoughts not he EV credits being proposed:
  1. Intent is to reduce cost of EV relative to ICE until costs fall further. This is not and should not be a wealth redistribution issue.
  2. The cash for gas guzzlers proposals being talked about make no sense. As long as gas guzzlers are being manufactured, paying rewards to turn them in just increases their value (think higher residual/less depreciation for new gas guzzlers).
I emailed my congressman two days ago when I first heard of these ideas. Not a bad idea for anyone to express their thoughts directly to them as well.

Still reporting August delivery as of this morning, but can't access my account at present.