Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Getting better by the minute the Model S Plaid spectators on the order page went from 1.99 to 2.1 seconds. Still crazy but shows reliance on another lie at time I ordered.
1621973710527.png

So why ship a vehicle that has been delayed for months for software issues per Elon with radar? My thought is this entire time all resources have been devoted to 3 and y until this point. Now that the 3 and y have a fully updated hardware and software package we can throw some people at the s and x problems. For now just ship them with the outdated hardware and software systems and we’ll figure out how to “integrate” it later.
I think it is because there are so many more of them on the road and tesla collects the data to learn from the system. It makes sense if there is a massive collection of data required to refine the product.

Yet another indication that they are transitioning into a mass market company and de-emphasizing the mass production of high(er) end Sedan's and SUV's.
Elon has been pretty open about this goal. Make the Roadster to get the wealthy, Use that revenue to make the S and X to get the upper middle class, then make the 3 and Y to get the middle class, then the end game of a 25k or cheaper mass market car for everyone else. He's almost there.

There’s something more than a little unnerving to have a car that can go 0-60 in under two seconds and you really can’t be certain which in direction it will take off. 😬
There will be a graphical representation which shows which direction you went! Followed by a news helicopter if it was not the intended direction. o_O

I think it's all generally "wishful thinking" on the extra features and/or upgraded batteries and performance of the refresh MS Plaid on the 6/3/21 delivery event. I think things will basically stay the same with perhaps a couple changed features and/or actual details on the vehicle, new UI, FSD coming soon?, etc. I also think that a limited number of vehicles will be delivered in June while a vast majority will be delivered in July-Sept. I'm still annoyed that Tesla hasn't changed the current est delivery of the MS Plaid on the website to Aug or Sept or whatever; June I feel is completely misleading and unless they're about to screw all of the people like me and thousands more who ordered months ago and still have August showing in our Tesla accounts for est delivery like me (which would be much worse in terms of their reputation and how unprofessional they are); I think this "marketing ploy" to drum up more excitement and more reservations is just plain false, misleading, and deceptive to consumers..it's just a bad business practice.

Last edited:
So why ship a vehicle that has been delayed for months for software issues per Elon with radar? My thought is this entire time all resources have been devoted to 3 and y until this point. Now that the 3 and y have a fully updated hardware and software package we can throw some people at the s and x problems. For now just ship them with the outdated hardware and software systems and we’ll figure out how to “integrate” it later.
Why do you insist on it being better to not have radar? Did you not read that the 3/Y will have limited functionality for "weeks" which of course we know could mean months or longer? I am happy that for the additional price we're paying Tesla has not decided to save a few dollars by prematurely removing HW that can't immediately be replaced by new SW functionality.

My prediction for the 3rd:

The Plaid Model S will essentially be the Plaid+. It’ll contain the 4680 batteries and have 500+miles of range. It’ll have the active aero rear wing we’ve seen and will start shipping in June. The LR model will use the existing batteries and will begin shipping once production catches up on Plaid models. The Plaid+ model will go away and Plaid+ reservations will be converted to Plaid.

Evidence to support my hypothesis:
-Plaid+ was pushed way out around the same time the big model S delays started
-Plaid+ is no longer an option on the Tesla site.
-Plaid availability is currently listed as June
-Twitter “insiders” are hinting about big news on the 3rd and that performance is much more impressive than they’ve led us to believe
-The radio silent delay feels like it could be a big change that they were uncomfortable talking about.
-The rumored “battery cooling issues” would makes sense with the new cells
-The version of the car on the track had active aero. Seems unlikely this is a one-off and unlikely that it would be a Plaid + given the proximity to the current release
-LR has significantly outsold Plaid. This would make many people (myself included) consider the extra money for the Plaid.

#OneCanDream
Sooooo when would they actually talk to Plaid+ reservation holders about this if true. Zero contact to date and I have been holding since day 1. More likely is what was previously postulated, 4680 cells are too far out and in too little supply for Model Y (first), Semi (second), Tri-Motor Cybertruck (third?), and now Plaid+ (fourth?) so they are not taking any new orders on Plaid+ for now.