Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t think I have seen that many white cars before, so it looks like they might have switched to white car production. I counted 13 white Model S cars and 2 white Model X in the picture @dbtrizzle posted.

If you look at the very top of that picture there is also a Silver Metallic Model S that was discontinued in 2018 that decided to photobomb the picture.

View attachment 669283
Nice. And the white PLAIDs indeed have black door handles and the rear CF spoilers.

The hypocrisy of Tesla strikes again. Yesterday I went to a different dealership in Southern California and was told that the Long-Range are being delivered first. I said "Really? Before Plaid?" and she said absolutely yes. Then today I called my own SA at a different dealership in SoCal and he said the Plaid are all going out first, and none of the Long-Range. I said "What about all the LR's sitting around in the lots?" He said he wasn't aware of any sitting around. Man this is nuts that nobody in this company can give consistent information. That's the signpost up ahead - your next stop, the Tesla Zone!

The hypocrisy of Tesla strikes again. Yesterday I went to a different dealership in Southern California and was told that the Long-Range are being delivered first. I said "Really? Before Plaid?" and she said absolutely yes. Then today I called my own SA at a different dealership in SoCal and he said the Plaid are all going out first, and none of the Long-Range. I said "What about all the LR's sitting around in the lots?" He said he wasn't aware of any sitting around. Man this is nuts that nobody in this company can give consistent information. That's the signpost up ahead - your next stop, the Tesla Zone!
Lesson of the day……How many times has it been said in the thread that the SA’s collectively know less than we do here. 🤦🏻‍♂️

I don’t think I have seen that many white cars before, so it looks like they might have switched to white car production. I counted 13 white Model S cars and 2 white Model X in the picture @dbtrizzle posted.

If you look at the very top of that picture there is also a Silver Metallic Model S that was discontinued in 2018 that decided to photobomb the picture.

View attachment 669283

They were scrounging the parts bins and found enough parts to put together one more 2018 silver S. Some lucky TMC member will be getting a surprise.

Wow - wish they made the Silver Metallic again. My favorite color!

Reactions: JustSaying
Idle, uninformed speculation [1] based on the latest video:

In the last several videos there have been smurfloads of MSs piled up, stashed in random places, as well as a large and growing (?) number of castings. The cars started stacking up around the time that everyone started getting June delivery windows; so it seems like Tesla felt like the production line was solid and they were ready to ship those cars.

... But then they didn't? Maybe there were killer quality issues, or missing parts, but they made a bunch of cars and decided they couldn't ship them. June dates mostly disappeared. The stashed MSs suddenly got dumped to the logistics yard, then off to ... some other parking lot nearby, rather than 'round the country, so whatever the issue is, it's not something they seem to feel confident that the local centers can handle.

There are still huge piles of castings (Model S? X? Others? Not sure how to tell) but those piles don't seem to be shrinking, and though there are still a bunch of MSs at the factory, they weren't in the Logistics lot (aside from a handful of stragglers). In the dust lot by the railroad tracks, aside from the stacks of castings, there were a few new MSs; maybe it's a dust ingress testing area 😅

Based on delivery windows mostly disappearing, and the cars being moved to a rented lot rather than delivery centers, it seems likely that there's some hardware issue that needs addressing [2] still, and it's complex enough that it has to happen at the factory. Which also suggests that all of the cars at the rented lot will have to go back to the factory and be refitted before shipping out. If they indeed aren't making new MS cars, which might be debatable (were bunch of MSs at the factory new builds, or did they just not get send off yet?) that also suggests that they either a) don't have a solution for what is wrong, or b) do have one but it's far enough away that they aren't making new cars because they'll run into the same storage problem.

Alternatively there's a safety or regulatory concern, e.g. with the battery, and they don't want to ship out a bunch of cars that then have to come back, but if it's that I'd imagine that it's something major, like the battery pack. I doubt this though; not for any good reason I'm just more convinced by the quality explanation. Whatever is wrong/missing clearly doesn't prevent them from driving but it's bad enough that they aren't sending them very far from the factory.

Anyway my hot take is that they made a bunch of cars using the production line, but something is Bad, so they stopped doing that and have to hold on to what they built until a fix is done, approved, and installed, so my MSM/Cream/19" S that I ordered in December will ship a month or so after the cars in that rented lot start showing up on trucks back in the Logistics lot. September? 🤷‍♂️ I don't think it'll be June, or even July; if it was that soon I'd expect to see more MSs being produced. The piles of castings do suggest that whenever they're ready to deliver cars, they'll be able to supply multiple shifts with parts to make a lot of cars quickly.

On the plus side, I'm not in any particular hurry ...

[1] that's what we do here, right?
[2] "tweaking"

Reactions: Johann Koeber
Idle, uninformed speculation [1] based on the latest video:

In the last several videos there have been smurfloads of MSs piled up, stashed in random places, as well as a large and growing (?) number of castings. The cars started stacking up around the time that everyone started getting June delivery windows; so it seems like Tesla felt like the production line was solid and they were ready to ship those cars.

... But then they didn't? Maybe there were killer quality issues, or missing parts, but they made a bunch of cars and decided they couldn't ship them. June dates mostly disappeared. The stashed MSs suddenly got dumped to the logistics yard, then off to ... some other parking lot nearby, rather than 'round the country, so whatever the issue is, it's not something they seem to feel confident that the local centers can handle.

There are still huge piles of castings (Model S? X? Others? Not sure how to tell) but those piles don't seem to be shrinking, and though there are still a bunch of MSs at the factory, they weren't in the Logistics lot (aside from a handful of stragglers). In the dust lot by the railroad tracks, aside from the stacks of castings, there were a few new MSs; maybe it's a dust ingress testing area 😅

Based on delivery windows mostly disappearing, and the cars being moved to a rented lot rather than delivery centers, it seems likely that there's some hardware issue that needs addressing [2] still, and it's complex enough that it has to happen at the factory. Which also suggests that all of the cars at the rented lot will have to go back to the factory and be refitted before shipping out. If they indeed aren't making new MS cars, which might be debatable (were bunch of MSs at the factory new builds, or did they just not get send off yet?) that also suggests that they either a) don't have a solution for what is wrong, or b) do have one but it's far enough away that they aren't making new cars because they'll run into the same storage problem.

Alternatively there's a safety or regulatory concern, e.g. with the battery, and they don't want to ship out a bunch of cars that then have to come back, but if it's that I'd imagine that it's something major, like the battery pack. I doubt this though; not for any good reason I'm just more convinced by the quality explanation. Whatever is wrong/missing clearly doesn't prevent them from driving but it's bad enough that they aren't sending them very far from the factory.

Anyway my hot take is that they made a bunch of cars using the production line, but something is Bad, so they stopped doing that and have to hold on to what they built until a fix is done, approved, and installed, so my MSM/Cream/19" S that I ordered in December will ship a month or so after the cars in that rented lot start showing up on trucks back in the Logistics lot. September? 🤷‍♂️ I don't think it'll be June, or even July; if it was that soon I'd expect to see more MSs being produced. The piles of castings do suggest that whenever they're ready to deliver cars, they'll be able to supply multiple shifts with parts to make a lot of cars quickly.

On the plus side, I'm not in any particular hurry ...

[1] that's what we do here, right?
[2] "tweaking"

Why would they continue the production line if they noticed a production-halt worthy issue?

My guess is Elon wants to personally test the limbic resonance of the first production lot and give them a Elon seal-of-approval sticker.

Why would they continue the production line if they noticed a production-halt worthy issue?

My guess is Elon wants to personally test the limbic resonance of the first production lot and give them a Elon seal-of-approval sticker.

I have it on good source that Elon originally was going to say "tantric tickle" instead of " limbic resonance" but since he could not say it five times real fast, his legal department advised against it.

1622762619601.png

1. Thanks (as always) to @gabeincal for the latest Fremont flyover vid. That resurfaced track looks gorgeous. Look forward to (hopefully) seeing it featured as part of the June 10 event.

2. Got the call about switching my Plaid+ order to Plaid today. Responded that I already had a Plaid order as well. Was told delivery as early as June for certain Plaid configurations, but white and carbon fiber interior possibly not until August. Asked to switch to the new, dark "ebony" wood, change was processed quickly over the phone.

• Helpful
Reactions: T-Racer and croman
View attachment 669300

1. Thanks (as always) to @gabeincal for the latest Fremont flyover vid. That resurfaced track looks gorgeous. Look forward to (hopefully) seeing it featured as part of the June 10 event.
  2. Got the call about switching my Plaid+ order to Plaid today. Responded that I already had a Plaid order as well. Was told delivery as early as June for certain Plaid configurations, but white and carbon fiber interior possibly not until August. Asked to switch to the new, dark "ebony" wood, change was processed quickly over the phone.

And did YOU ask about LR's???

I hope you're right.. but we last saw them here. I'm really hoping they're already shipping them off to pick up centers and they can update the software then!

And here are some more:

In our favorite spot (5)

1622763988304.png

Near our favorite spot (~35) time - 1:30
1622764028028.png

So all in all about 125 visible at the factory and 3 in the transport area.

And we all missed the @AnselmDante vs. @sflgator battle royale. 😀
No, that's the last time he hijacks comments I make to someone else because of his brittle ego. I put him on ignore after my last response to his overcompensating juvenile behavior.

I tried to simply not reply to his comments, but he keeps starting things up again. He's like an insecure child that needs constant validation. I have kids of my own to deal with.

Will the next person who gets a call about switching PLEASE ask what they know about LR deliveries? Much appreciated😃
So, here’s my conversation today with a local SA...

Plaids are going to be a priority in June. LRs will start shipping once that backlog is filled. Got the impression if I ordered a plaid today it would be delivered before anyone got a LR.

The previous thing I was told about EOQ deliveries to Los Angeles was incorrect. Once the Plaids are filled, LRs will ship out nationwide including CA, possibly as early as July, so having a Jan LR order I MIGHT get my car in July or August, certainly won’t wait until September as told before unless there are unforeseen circumstances that delay all LRs.

There was no pressure to convert to a Plaid to get my car sooner. Apparently those conversations are to move the Plaid+ people up a year.

So, here’s my conversation today with a local SA...

Plaids are going to be a priority in June. LRs will start shipping once that backlog is filled. Got the impression if I ordered a plaid today it would be delivered before anyone got a LR.

The previous thing I was told about EOQ deliveries to Los Angeles was incorrect. Once the Plaids are filled, LRs will ship out nationwide including CA, possibly as early as July, so having a Jan LR order I MIGHT get my car in July or August, certainly won’t wait until September as told before unless there are unforeseen circumstances that delay all LRs.

There was no pressure to convert to a Plaid to get my car sooner. Apparently those conversations are to move the Plaid+ people up a year.

Damn you people - quit ordering the Plaid so we can get through the backlog.