Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now that’s one of the funniest misconceptions I’ve heard in a while. What do you picture a track day is? The Fast and the Furious Tokyo Drift?
Well what do you expect when the last car driven (for the past 2 1/2 decades) was a 1993 Mitsubishi 3000GT (non-modified apparently, fully stock except for a couple “twin turbo” stickers, 4” diameter bolt-on exhaust tips, repainted front bumper by Maaco, and window tint)? 😜

Attachments

• 0609B441-9C89-43D8-B973-7558237FBD57.jpeg
    0609B441-9C89-43D8-B973-7558237FBD57.jpeg
    368.1 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Well we do know it will be faster than the performance 3, since that also has the Plaid asterisk next to its stats. None of this matters to me. I'll never end up at a track with my luxury sedan. A sedan who's market is almost exclusively older white men. Not exactly the track day crowd.

Don't be surprised if they offer a purchasable software patch for the LR to give it a 2.4 0-60. I could see this happening in a year or so.
I'll call some good ish on this. Why assume only old white men want to buy a Model S? Then be gimmicked with a "acceleration upgrade". The Model S isn't just a old white men car. Honestly around me I've never seen a white man driving one. Mostly women.

It seems odd that Tesla is playing tricks with the LR stats by not using the same 1 ft of rollout for the LR 0-60
I dunno, they have done that since the days of the P85D (measure the performance model with the 1 ft rollout). It's kind of the industry norm for performance oriented cars, so I don't see anything nefarious here.

A sedan who's market is almost exclusively older white men.
Um....

I'll call some good ish on this. Why assume only old white men want to buy a Model S? Then be gimmicked with a "acceleration upgrade". The Model S isn't just a old white men car. Honestly around me I've never seen a white man driving one. Mostly women.
Tesla Owner Demographics: Age, Gender, Ethnicity, Income, Children

You can read the breakout, but this was the summary:

Based on market research performed by Hedges & Company in 2018, it turns out the average Tesla owner is a 54 year old white man making over $140,000 with no children.

• Funny
Reactions: HumanInput
As I’ve always said, HUGE diff between MS LR and PLAID. Hence, the huge diff in cost…not so much about diff in looks or features but a 3rd electric motor and an add’l 300+ HP/TQ (plus torque vectoring etc) on top of what the LR has…it’s significant! 👍🏻😎
People find a way to justify their decisions.
If you think objectively, there’s a much bigger difference between pre-refresh LR and Performance 2.3 vs 3.7s in terms of 0-60, yet the price difference was much smaller. I’m just amazed how Tesla has been able to convince the masses to shell out so much money with so little information.

People find a way to justify their decisions.
If you think objectively, there’s a much bigger difference between pre-refresh LR and Performance 2.3 vs 3.7s in terms of 0-60, yet the price difference was much smaller. I’m just amazed how Tesla has been able to convince the masses to shell out so much money with so little information.
Sure, of course. But, what I can tell you is that the apparent performance of the new refresh MS Plaid is unmatched and cannot be found anywhere else directly from an auto manufacturer’s factory, especially for the $120k price range, let alone $500k+ range. EV technology and performance is just getting better and better!!! Good times coming. 👍🏻😎

Sure, of course. But, what I can tell you is that the apparent performance of the new refresh MS Plaid is unmatched and cannot be found anywhere else directly from an auto manufacturer’s factory, especially for the $120k price range, let alone $500k+ range. EV technology and performance is just getting better and better!!! Good times coming. 👍🏻😎
Well duh!!
when was the last time you saw an iPhone ad that didn’t claim “the best iPhone ever “

Based on data pulled from 2,650 Tesla owners. Carefully curated to ensure the proper outcome of some biased study
Gut feelings are always superior to data. And I believe that number was cited for a specific Model X statistic.

You missed this part:
"This data comes from the master vehicle owner database of 175+ million vehicle owners, including large amounts of consumer-level data, which is overlaid on vehicle records. This gives us a great deal of accuracy when we pull and analyze demographic data, without having survey errors from self-reported data or other types of “sampling errors.” Most of the statistics cited on this analysis have a margin of error of +/-2.5% at a 95% confidence level."

I dunno, they have done that since the days of the P85D (measure the performance model with the 1 ft rollout). It's kind of the industry norm for performance oriented cars, so I don't see anything nefarious here.
I don’t think anything nefarious is going on, but I strongly believe that same model cars should use equivalent units of measurement. Furthermore, the same specifications should also be provided for both cars. Why provide certain specs for the Plaid and then omit them from the LR? I just think it looks like Tesla is deliberately withholding information and it’s not a good look.

Perhaps Tesla just hasn’t yet decided how fast they want the LR to do the 1/4 mile and they are waiting for market forces to dictate what they should program it to do. If they make it too fast they might cannibalize Plaid sales and if it isn’t fast enough they might be at a competitive disadvantage to some of the new EV competition (Taycan, Audi GT, Lucid etc.)

I don’t think anything nefarious is going on, but I strongly believe that same model cars should use equivalent units of measurement. Furthermore, the same specifications should also be provided for both cars. Why provide certain specs for the Plaid and then omit them from the LR? I just think it looks like Tesla is deliberately withholding information and it’s not a good look.

Perhaps Tesla just hasn’t yet decided how fast they want the LR to do the 1/4 mile and they are waiting for market forces to dictate what they should program it to do. If they make it too fast they might cannibalize Plaid sales and if it isn’t fast enough they might be at a competitive disadvantage to some of the new EV competition (Taycan, Audi GT, Lucid etc.)
It’s the same game Porsche plays with the 911 and Cayman. They could make the Cayman perform better, but then they cannibalize 911 sales. If Tesla engineered the base LR too close to the Plaid it would eat into those sales. So 1.99 with rollout for Plaid and 3.1 (without) for LR. Makes it sound soooo much slower when it’s still faster than 99% of what’s on the road.

Material is cheap. Labor is expensive. The markup to get to $1300 is beyond reasonable. They saw “Telsa” and decided you had money they wanted. Get another quote.

My Wall Connector install is $1,200. I’m in Orlando where it’s generally cheap to get stuff done.

This was the cheapest of the standard three bids I solicited.

The steep price is the result of 100 feet of #6 Romex to get from my panel, through the attic, then down to the Wall Connector.

Reactions: T-Racer