Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car also had piano black (all around) when it was supposed to have CF. MY DS said it appeared to be a screw-up on the assembly line, but perhaps it was a shortage and they just wanted to get cars out the door. It's been 2 weeks since I picked it up, and I was hoping Tesla would have contacted me by now to get it swapped, but nothing.

I'll be calling them this week since they should be back from the holiday break (if they did get one)...

My Model S was delivered last night! So glad to have it home finally and it is everything I expected and more. Showed up with 25mi on the odometer and about 115mi range left. As with everybody else I am still missing the parcel shelf and the rear spoiler, however my dash was trimmed with piano black instead of carbon fiber. The armrest has the carbon fiber but not the dash, I am assuming it simply came down to not having carbon fiber dash trim available when the car was built (VIN - 1995) but wanting to keep things moving forward. Has anybody else had this experience? I also never received any formal "due bill" but I am sure that Tesla will get things sorted out in the future once the service center in Houston opens and inventory increases....

I will get some pictures today in the sunlight and post em here....

The difference being that Tesla is delivering some cars under MSO (Manufacturer's Statement of Origin) which you then take to the tag office and register the car (and transfer your tag or get a new tag). Part of that process is paying sales tax due and filing an application for title. Your state then sends you the title.

Dealerships will have you sign a bunch of Powers of Attorney so they can process all the paperwork for you thus your title shows up in the mail long after you have your car.

This is how it works in Florida and I suspect similar things happen in other states.

i have not received the car yet but in georgia we are experiencing difficulty...surprise surprise. here the title law changes on but only for cars that are bought in georgia and the local DMVs are currently making any tesla owner pay a yearly ad valorem tax instead of a one time title tax - over the life of the car will probably be about $10,000.

it's a pain, sent an email to GeorgeB and talking to local politicians etc...

if anyone else has any ideas please let any georgia reservation holder know.

Peter, some of that damage looks pretty serious in your photos. Was the chrome trim actually scratched or is that just road grime? The photos almost make it look as if the car was keyed. If they were traveling on an open truck, I guess that could have been possible. I'm curious to know who the liable party would be if that actually happened.

The problem in these situations is that you already own the car by the time it gets loaded onto the truck. You may not have to pay for the repair, but getting it fixed to the same level of quality as the factory isn't always possible.

Photos of scratches are bit tough to accurately show the damage, I don't expect there is anything that won't polish out, it was definitely not keyed. The only part that won't detail out is the one small spec of dirt in the paint, but you can only see that at certain angles, it's tiny, and not really worth repainting the entire door. The chrome was not scratched, just oddly taped down in a couple places.

I get cars delivered from auctions via open transport (usually from United Road) all the time and it's always a drag in the winter when the truck has to go through the mountains. That's fine for a used car, but brand new $86k cars really shouldn't be shipped that way.

The chrome was not scratched, just oddly taped down in a couple places.

I believe that chrome is held on with an adhesive. They may have had to reapply or something, and the tape was the "clamp" to hold it until the glue was cured. There were dates written on that tape, which I would bet was the "don't remove the tape before this date/time" indication of when the glue would be cured.

i have not received the car yet but in georgia we are experiencing difficulty...surprise surprise. here the title law changes on but only for cars that are bought in georgia and the local DMVs are currently making any tesla owner pay a yearly ad valorem tax instead of a one time title tax - over the life of the car will probably be about $10,000.

You should be fine. For cars purchased in 2012 thru Feb 28, 2013, you can opt-in to the new GA one-time sales tax (vs. paying ad valorum forever). You simply pay the difference between the sales tax you paid when titling the car and the new 6.5% sales tax, then you'll never pay annual ad valorum on it (and if your sales tax is higher, or you have to pay ad valorum before then, you'll get money back!) For example, I'm in Gwinnett county so paid 6% sales tax when titling my car (which should be here Monday!!!), and simply need to pay the additional 0.5% after March 1st, 2013 to avoid the $10K ad valorum over the next 8 years (and beyond). They have a 'calculator', plus other info here: Georgia Department of Revenue

When you go to title your car they'll probably give you a leaflet outlining the transition. Oh, and they may also struggle with entering '0' for the number of cylinders...

Oh, my apologies - I just noticed you qualified it with 'cars that are bought in georgia'. Not sure, but I only paid sales tax, and my birthday isn't until April, so when I took care of tag & title I wasn't informed of any issues with opting in. Sorry for the confusion; I'll definitely be following up, any links you can share would be helpful.

here the title law changes on but only for cars that are bought in georgia and the local DMVs are currently making any tesla owner pay a yearly ad valorem tax instead of a one time title tax - over the life of the car will probably be about $10,000.

Bill HB 386 signed earlier this year in Georgia eliminated the annual ad valorem tax car owners pay and the sales tax manufacturers pay for future purchases. Individuals who purchase a new or used car after March 1, 2013 will no longer have to pay the annual tax, but pay a one-time sales tax up front beginning at 6.5% in 2013 and increasing to 7% by 2015. The new sales tax will take the place of both the purchase sales tax, and the annual ad valorem tax. Consumers who purchase a new or used car this year before March 1, 2013, will have the option to pay the one time title tax or continue to pay the yearly ad valorem "birthday" tax.

Bill HB 386 signed earlier this year in Georgia eliminated the annual ad valorem tax car owners pay and the sales tax manufacturers pay for future purchases. Individuals who purchase a new or used car after March 1, 2013 will no longer have to pay the annual tax, but pay a one-time sales tax up front beginning at 6.5% in 2013 and increasing to 7% by 2015. The new sales tax will take the place of both the purchase sales tax, and the annual ad valorem tax. Consumers who purchase a new or used car this year before March 1, 2013, will have the option to pay the one time title tax or continue to pay the yearly ad valorem "birthday" tax.

Unfortunately, there is language that says opt-in is limited to cars bought in GA. Interestingly they define bought outside of GA in a weird way: "If you buy a vehicle from an out-of-state source over the Internet, and the Internet site or company collects a fee of any kind for processing the sale, that site or company becomes a broker for the sale, and sales tax will be due. This can also apply to purchases over the Internet from individuals. "

I just got a call from my driver and he will deliver my car tomorrow afternoon which is a day earlier then estimated. The ironic part is that I sent my DS an email letting him know when my car is coming. Hopefully he will be able to make it so I can ask all the questions that I will undoubtedly have.

Edit: He is dropping a car off in northern North Carolina around 6am he said so there will be another happy Model S owner tomorrow too :p

Last edited: