Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Or another way to look at it is that a four door street car can actually do this if you want to go to the track and reproduce the environment. The car CAN do a sub 2 0-60.

Not defending Elon; I'm only pointing out there are a few ways to look at it.

Yeah, I know, it doesn't need the hyperbole or the "company minders" when being tested.

HEADLINE
Omar's car does 0-60 in 2.32 seconds UPHILL :)

My point exactly. An owner, who is presumably not a road test professional, got 2.32 seconds with a dragy on a public road, going uphill. There's no need to be so draconian about the restrictions.

The reason I get worked up over this is that auto journalists tend to be funny about this. They STILL talk about Ferrari's tactics of providing cheater cars, coming with full teams of mechanics and "minders", etc. They talk about tuner cars they've tested that produce ridiculous headline numbers....like once, under one condition, then break down. Etc. They also always are impressed when someone like Ruf shows up with a car, hands over the keys and says "call me when you're done". No cheater car. No "special circumstances".

I want for the car to have no asterisk.

Just for s+g, he's not the only one.

I had a Dodge charger hellcat who claimed quarter mile time of 11.1. they advertised it everywhere on their site and whatnot. I don't think anyone was any to get that number.... And not close. That car was so limited to traction that i think no one could hit it. 0-60 claims? Forget it.

The dodge Challenger demon, a car built for the quarter mile, only accomplished its number with removal of the rear seat, semi-slick tires on the rear, skinnies in the front, special gas .... You better believe they advertised their NHRA certified time EVERYWHERE.

I know everyone wants their plaid to get 1.99 all day every day but it seems unrealistic to expect that. Worse yet, complaining or splitting hairs cause the trap speed was 3mph off? Cmon guys... Really?

Tesla isn't the only company who advertises a number that isn't going to be attainable every single time. Enjoy smoking 99.999999% of every other car on the road.... Stop worrying about minutia that really don't matter. Perspective.
Until the C8, nobody could really consistently produce the Corvette's 0-60's spec in the street.

Just for s+g, he's not the only one.

I had a Dodge charger hellcat who claimed quarter mile time of 11.1. they advertised it everywhere on their site and whatnot. I don't think anyone was any to get that number.... And not close. That car was so limited to traction that i think no one could hit it. 0-60 claims? Forget it.

The dodge Challenger demon, a car built for the quarter mile, only accomplished its number with removal of the rear seat, semi-slick tires on the rear, skinnies in the front, special gas .... You better believe they advertised their NHRA certified time EVERYWHERE.

I know everyone wants their plaid to get 1.99 all day every day but it seems unrealistic to expect that. Worse yet, complaining or splitting hairs cause the trap speed was 3mph off? Cmon guys... Really?

Tesla isn't the only company who advertises a number that isn't going to be attainable every single time. Enjoy smoking 99.999999% of every other car on the road.... Stop worrying about minutia that really don't matter. Perspective.

Oh I know. I've been reading auto buff books since the 80's.

But you made my point. People talk about the Demon shenanigans still.

One detail the warm-up for drag strip mode is faster than I expected. I went out this morning, first thing, so car had been sitting overnight and the warm-up was 4 min. Yesterday, after driving to the vet, it was 3 min.

Fantasic Omar.

Would you mind launching it NOT in dragstrip mode at some point in time? Would love to see what it does in real world situation. Just in Plaid mode, no dragstrip, no Cheetah stance, no warmup. Like when someone gives you the stink eye at the red light, lol.

Hope you are enjoying the car. Did you see my earlier post about what the race shop owner said to my friend. He was blown away by the level of sophisitcation of the chassis compared to older S's.

don't have IG.

Sorry, not sure how to help you then. I'll cut and paste the text:

jasoncammisa's profile picture

jasoncammisa
Verified​

Verdict Tesla Model S Plaid: Sorry, S-Class, your reign is over.

Tesla has released basically no info on the Plaid except 1020 hp and < 1.99 seconds 0-60. I can verify that it’s easily the fastest car in the world. Ever. Of all time. With nothing else close.

I banged off a 2.14-second 0-60 with a VBox. With a passenger. With the A/C blasting. With only 63% battery. After climbing a mountain.

I have no doubt the magazines will see sub-2-second runs. But that’s not the big deal: the big deal is that the speed doesn’t relent. The #Plaid Model S pulls as hard from 100 mph as a Model 3 Performance does from 30.

It just. Doesn’t. Stop. Pulling.

You’d be a fool to race one of these, full stop.

But it’s not a Hellcat: this is no one-trick pony. The new interior is a genuinely huge improvement, combining the best of the Model 3/Y UX with some great new features and the fastest-responding screen I’ve ever seen.

The yoke? NBD if you normally drive with your hands at 9 and 3 — until you go to park the thing. Then, you grab for the rim that’s not there. Gimmick.

Auto-gear selection worked way better than I expected on my short test drive.

Highway cruising is obscenely quiet - and the ride is incredible. Those are most certainly magnetic dampers to give the level of control and adjustability they do. (See the screen.) Criticism: a little too much spring for the dampers, so the ride gets flinty over bumps in its most aggressive setting. But that’s nitpicking. This is a hell of a luxury sedan.

Handling is way improved. Great body control, some understeer. Aggressive ESC that you really want with this level of power — but I’d want it off for track. On slow mountain roads, you don’t feel any torque-vectoring from the rear, but you do get torque-steer up front through the yoke.

The seats are supportive and the rear is no longer a park bench. This car had not one squeak or rattle.

Judged as a Chiron-beatingly fast, everyday luxury car, I must say with apologizes to Rolls-Royce, Bentley, Bugatti, Mercedes-Benz, and every automaker on the planet: good luck catching up. You’ll need it.

And at $130k nobody has a chance.

#ModelSPlaid #ElonMusk #EV #CammisaVerdict #Tesla

Does it matter where you request to pick-it up? Anyone here in SoCal have a recommendation? What are you looking for in an SA if you've already ordered your car? If I change location will I lose my place in line?

First time Tesla buyer (online), so I do not have a history with any SA anywhere. Now realizing there are a bunch of Tesla dealerships dotted near me with my closest locations at Pasadena, Brea or Rancho Cucamonga even though there's a different location on my order. Well, I did order it on Valentine's Day and hubby and I may have been a bit distracted when making our final selections ;-)

View attachment 674241

Thanks in advance for your advice and recommendations!
One of the forum members on the other thread said that the Marina del Rey center is the best in SoCal. I originally arranged to pick up my LR in Buena Park - I have no feedback about that location. However, my SA told me that Tesla is planning on door-to-door deliveries when the vehicles come in since the delivery centers won’t be able to keep so many vehicles (?) on the premises.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
So, if those of you smarter than me can educate me a bit--on my Dragy report, the waviness of the acceleration comes from the unevenness of the tire/road interface? On a real drag strip, I would see a flat or smoother trace?

It's possible. Did the car seem like it was fighting for traction that whole time?

Could also be simply due to the fact that you were moving so quickly and the refresh rate of the unit,, lol.

Fantasic Omar.

Would you mind launching it NOT in dragstrip mode at some point in time? Would love to see what it does in real world situation. Just in Plaid mode, no dragstrip, no Cheetah stance, no warmup. Like when someone gives you the stink eye at the red light, lol.

Hope you are enjoying the car. Did you see my earlier post about what the race shop owner said to my friend. He was blown away by the level of sophisitcation of the chassis compared to older S's.
I will--I need to find a place which will be quiet for 5 or 10 min. I believe I would have to do the plain Plaid run before going into drag strip mode, as afterwards, even if I turn of the mode, the pack will still be warm.

Any yes, that article was cool, thanks for posting.

So, if those of you smarter than me can educate me a bit--on my Dragy report, the waviness of the acceleration comes from the unevenness of the tire/road interface? On a real drag strip, I would see a flat or smoother trace?

Here are some examples of what it should look like. But I think your waviness is not too bad at all.

I don’t understand some of your complaints Tigers. You’ve been braying for months that you want the car you’ve clearly thoroughly researched. Now you complain the rear end is ugly. If you don’t like the car cancel the order.
And MT did analyze the charge time and the range and said they were comparable to the representations. My ‘17 MS gets close to its advertised range with normal driving at 75 mph average on highways. If you constantly gun it at lights and drive fast you’ll lose range. No secret there.