Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the 60-130 times are going to be awesome once measured

I mean, look at the times Cammisa got. At first I thought the middle time was 30-50 and was like, well, that's slow. And then realized it's 30-70. LOL.

Cammisa Plaid.jpg

Went out agin this morning -- different road, slightly better results. I think I am getting better at the launches and the car is dong everything right, I think the biggest hurdle is the road surface--this was a back road, so rough, uneven and a slight incline. I'll keep looking for better roads.

View attachment 674382
These numbers are great! In my mind you proved their claims. And, look, you were at a 2% incline during this run. Thanks for doing this!!

Jason Cammisa out of his mind loving it:

link did not work

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Went out agin this morning -- different road, slightly better results. I think I am getting better at the launches and the car is dong everything right, I think the biggest hurdle is the road surface--this was a back road, so rough, uneven and a slight incline. I'll keep looking for better roads.

View attachment 674382
Any chance you could do one with no drag mode?

Interesting car resume. If this is your first electric, and especially your first Tesla, you are going to be in for a HUGE surprise. I started on this train in 2012 with a P85 test drive and can tell you without a doubt that EVERYTHING changes with these cars.

For instance, simply being able to flat foot launch the car out of your garage (if you are inclined to do such things) is unheard of. There is no oil temp to concern yourself with. Soooo much nonsense simply falls to the wayside leaving you a much purer driving experience.

It is true that you can not beat physics and this is a heavy monster (think Maranello) but just remember that lap time is made on corner exit and nothing (on street tires) beats this thing on exit :)
I am really looking forward to it. It is very exciting to me especially because it is such a practical vehicle. I have sold all sports cars and sports bikes since I moved to Los Angeles. Not a fun city for exotic cars unless you just want to get the parking valet’s approval.
The only ev I drive is a golf Cart Three times a week. Not the fastest but very easy to drive. I did try the 2021 S pré refresh for a test drive and it was really fast and fun

Well - for me - I think the best way to go about buying a Tesla is to make sure the baseline of what you are getting is good enough to keep you happy.

There are a few other things I'm waiting on before deciding:

1. Actual, usable, real-world range of the LR. My model 3 said 325, rarely did I get 200 from an 90-10% charge (should've been closer to 250). So, waiting on someone to get a LR and then do a 100% to 0% hwy driving test to see if "400" is even close.

2. Active Noise Cancelling. Bruh, I bought a car that's had on it's website "active noise cancelling" for nearly 5.5 months. It doesn't work yet? Oh yeah, I'm def not taking delivery. Knowing Tesla - it may literally never work.

3. The rear-end and taillights are ugly as *sugar*. They look so incredibly old and put a damper on the car imo. I'll probably wait until at least the two things above have been addressed and maybe I'd consider taking it with these. But, they look horrible.

Are you still upset about the tilt screen? J/K

Agree with your first sentence. And the answer for me is "yes" it can keep me happy.

There seems to be mixed ANC reports - someone posted that it is there. Not sure there is anyway to confirm - there will probably be no switch and just on all the time (?).

The tail lights are not ugly to me but would like something more "modern". Because we have few Tesla's here, there is not much to date them against. Again, I can live with them even though not ideal.

As my wife tells me, it is not a life/death decision and if I do not like the car, I can switch out within 1-2 years to something else.

There you go!

Motor Trend proves Tesla's claims! AWESOME!

Although their trap speed was not 155 mph. Never the less, it matched the Leno runs!

I'm very disappointed reading this article.

That is some early 2000's Ferrari level of Testing BS "conditions". Come on, what's with all the strong-arming? I guess Tesla knew that MT wasn't going to meet Elon's claims of sub 2 seconds without a drag strip launch. As Jason Fenske has already shown, there's not enough grip to do so no matter how much power you have.

I really wish Tesla would stop making stupid claims and just roll the car out. I mean, it stands on it's own. It doesn't need Elon's overhyping it. It's amazing and frankly, who cares if it's 2.1 or 1.98. You're never going to launch from a light in Plaid Drag Strip mode and have the same kind of traction. IT DOESN"T MATTER if it's not sub-2 seconds.

But no, Elon can't help himself, so they have to resort to this buffoonery. Come on Tesla, grow up and do better. The car is amazing. Don't give the haters any fuel by having Motor Trend put an asterisk next to the number.

Does anyone have any idea when LR’s will start to be delivered and reviewed? All of this plaid excitement is great, would love to understand how much of the technology and general improvements will find their way to the LR.

Seems like this thread should be split at this point, one for Plaid and one for LR?

Are you still upset about the tilt screen? J/K

Agree with your first sentence. And the answer for me is "yes" it can keep me happy.

There seems to be mixed ANC reports - someone posted that it is there. Not sure there is anyway to confirm - there will probably be no switch and just on all the time (?).

The tail lights are not ugly to me but would like something more "modern". Because we have few Tesla's here, there is not much to date them against. Again, I can live with them even though not ideal.

As my wife tells me, it is not a life/death decision and if I do not like the car, I can switch out within 1-2 years to something else.

Haha - yeah - I mean, I guess. I'm not keeping the car for more than 2 years either, but...that can be a long two years.

Take it from someone who got the Model 3 two months before they re-did the interior/updated the sound proofing:

I told myself "hmm, all this gloss black looks terrible, I guess I'll just buy a wrap for the center console" "hmm, the car is a bit loud on the highway I'll get used to it" "hmm...325 supposed miles should be plenty to keep me happy on road trips"...

Ok, I did and it was fine, but less than 60 days a much better (and higher quality interior) came out and addressed all my concerns. Oh, and it got a heat pump and a larger battery pack and double paned windows. The new Model 3 was likely a completely different car. So much more soft touch areas, much quieter and I can only assume more efficient.

With the new model S... I really just want my damn ANC and an updated ass. The front looks good, the interior looks great, but the ass is so ugly.

@TorqueMonster - they failed to hit the 0-60 time on actual "normal" untreated road surfaces. So none of the claims were met.

This is extremely encouraging, btw:

Last edited:

That is some early 2000's Ferrari level of Testing BS "conditions". Come on, what's with all the strong-arming? I guess Tesla knew that MT wasn't going to meet Elon's claims of sub 2 seconds without a drag strip launch. As Jason Fenske has already shown, there's not enough grip to do so no matter how much power you have.

I really wish Tesla would stop making stupid claims and just roll the car out. I mean, it stands on it's own. It doesn't need Elon's overhyping it. It's amazing and frankly, who cares if it's 2.1 or 1.98. You're never going to launch from a light in Plaid Drag Strip mode and have the same kind of traction. IT DOESN"T MATTER if it's not sub-2 seconds.

But no, Elon can't help himself, so they have to resort to this buffoonery. Come on Tesla, grow up and do better. The car is amazing. Don't give the haters any fuel by having Motor Trend put an asterisk next to the number.
Or another way to look at it is that a four door street car can actually do this if you want to go to the track and reproduce the environment. The car CAN do a sub 2 0-60.

Not defending Elon; I'm only pointing out there are a few ways to look at it.

View attachment 674382
HEADLINE
Omar's car does 0-60 in 2.32 seconds UPHILL :)

Just for s+g, he's not the only one.

I had a Dodge charger hellcat who claimed quarter mile time of 11.1. they advertised it everywhere on their site and whatnot. I don't think anyone was any to get that number.... And not close. That car was so limited to traction that i think no one could hit it. 0-60 claims? Forget it.

The dodge Challenger demon, a car built for the quarter mile, only accomplished its number with removal of the rear seat, semi-slick tires on the rear, skinnies in the front, special gas .... You better believe they advertised their NHRA certified time EVERYWHERE.

I know everyone wants their plaid to get 1.99 all day every day but it seems unrealistic to expect that. Worse yet, complaining or splitting hairs cause the trap speed was 3mph off? Cmon guys... Really?

Tesla isn't the only company who advertises a number that isn't going to be attainable every single time. Enjoy smoking 99.999999% of every other car on the road.... Stop worrying about minutia that really don't matter. Perspective.

I posted this back in May and never got a reply, but it seems my worries were confirmed. I won’t be going fast enough for them to be a concern personally, but brake fade is going to cause a lot of bent Plaids.

Watching that video, I just noticed the tiny front brake calipers and the even tinier rear brake calipers for the Plaid. It’s a 200 mph car! I’m assuming the regen brakes must be a powerful magnetic stopping force adding to these tiny calipers?

My only other experience with electric vehicles was a 2012 Chevy Volt. The regen brakes slowed the car fairly efficiently, but nothing close to having to slow a 200 mph 5,000 pound beast.