Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Am I the only person who wants to delay delivery until the update the trail lights and the bar on the back of the trunk? IDK, the more and more I see it, the less happy I know I'm going to be with a taillight design that's years old. Have to think, given the picture we saw of the model s with the active spoiler, that a new taillight design will be out by early 2022.

Am I the only person who wants to delay delivery until the update the trail lights and the bar on the back of the trunk? IDK, the more and more I see it, the less happy I know I'm going to be with a taillight design that's years old. Have to think, given the picture we saw of the model s with the active spoiler, that a new taillight design will be out by early 2022.
Can someone point to some images or a detailed description of the difference in the taillights? It is mimicking the 3 and Y design, brighter, only lighting up the outside, etc.?

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Tesla Model S Plaid First Test: 0–60 MPH in 1.98 Seconds*! (Under very specific conditions dictated by Tesla, that is)

The Model S Plaid zips down the quarter mile in a staggeringly quick 9.25 seconds at 152.6 mph. The run from 0 to 60 mph happens just 1.98 seconds after the brutally hard launch. The Plaid covers distance so quickly, it's difficult to even register what's happening. The yoke gets light in your hands, your neck muscles strain as your helmeted head digs into the headrest, and your surroundings blur into mere shapes and colors as a quarter mile of pavement vanishes underneath you.

Going To Plaid In The Real World​

Ironically, the breathtaking straight-line achievements distract from another monumental achievement: The Model S Plaid is quite simply the best Tesla yet. It doesn't matter if you're cruising down the highway, slogging through city traffic, or slicing down your favorite back road. The Model S Plaid delivers, no matter what you ask it to do.

The Verdict​

Although the 2022 Tesla Model S Plaid didn't deliver a sub-2.0-second 0-60 time on typical asphalt—at least not yet—it's no less of a striking achievement for the California-based automaker: The quickest car we've ever tested is a $150K five-seat sedan, not some multimillion-dollar, carbon-fiber-encrusted road missile. It's remarkably well rounded, exhibiting a combination of comfort, luxury, performance, and efficiency that remained a sci-fi fantasy in 2013 when we named the Model S the MotorTrend Car of the Year. Regardless of how much you care about acceleration numbers and how they're achieved, perhaps the most important takeaway is that the Model S Plaid is absolutely among the best cars on the market today.

Last edited:
Tesla Model S Plaid First Test: 0–60 MPH in 1.98 Seconds*! (Under very specific conditions dictated by Tesla, that is)

The Model S Plaid zips down the quarter mile in a staggeringly quick 9.25 seconds at 152.6 mph. The run from 0 to 60 mph happens just 1.98 seconds after the brutally hard launch. The Plaid covers distance so quickly, it's difficult to even register what's happening. The yoke gets light in your hands, your neck muscles strain as your helmeted head digs into the headrest, and your surroundings blur into mere shapes and colors as a quarter mile of pavement vanishes underneath you.

Going To Plaid In The Real World​

Ironically, the breathtaking straight-line achievements distract from another monumental achievement: The Model S Plaid is quite simply the best Tesla yet. It doesn't matter if you're cruising down the highway, slogging through city traffic, or slicing down your favorite back road. The Model S Plaid delivers, no matter what you ask it to do.

The Verdict​

Although the 2022 Tesla Model S Plaid didn't deliver a sub-2.0-second 0-60 time on typical asphalt—at least not yet—it's no less of a striking achievement for the California-based automaker: The quickest car we've ever tested is a $150K five-seat sedan, not some multimillion-dollar, carbon-fiber-encrusted road missile. It's remarkably well rounded, exhibiting a combination of comfort, luxury, performance, and efficiency that remained a sci-fi fantasy in 2013 when we named the Model S the MotorTrend Car of the Year. Regardless of how much you care about acceleration numbers and how they're achieved, perhaps the most important takeaway is that the Model S Plaid is absolutely among the best cars on the market today.
Pretty impressive results. Although I wish Tesla would get rid of the “cheetah mode”gimmick and just let the car lower itself once put in dragstrip mode.

I’m still curious about 60-130 times, and 0-60 and quarter mile without dragstrip mode engaged. Seems like a more accurate representation of how most people will be rolling around. Hopefully Dragtimes gets his soon

My delivery date (most recently "August") disappeared, hoping it's a good sign.

I'm visiting the SC where I'm taking delivery today for the MCU2 upgrade on my 2016, hoping but not expecting they might have more info on my plaid.
My delivery date changed to August after being blank for a month. I’m guessing it will actually be delivered as part of the Q3 end of quarter push 🙁. LR, FSD, Arachnids, Blue, black interior, 3/28/2021

Last edited:
Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Jason Cammisa out of his mind loving it:

Pretty impressive results. Although I wish Tesla would get rid of the “cheetah mode”gimmick and just let the car lower itself once put in dragstrip mode.

I’m still curious about 60-130 times, and 0-60 and quarter mile without dragstrip mode engaged. Seems like a more accurate representation of how most people will be rolling around. Hopefully Dragtimes gets his soon
I think the 60-130 times are going to be awesome once measured

There you go!

Motor Trend proves Tesla's claims! AWESOME!

Although their trap speed was not 155 mph. Never the less, it matched the Leno runs!

Actually, Motortrend couldn't achieve the exact numbers Tesla stated - but at the end of the day, one has to wonder why this, and not range and charging speed improvements was the focus...

Dude, there is ALWAYS going to be something right around the corner with Tesla--pull the trigger and start enjoying the car.

I have contemplated this as well. But a few comments from Omar about enjoying the car now and such has me just getting it and worrying about having better later.

My guess is that they will update the taillights but they will not update the sheet metal due to expense/time. The active spoiler will be a taligate change. If that is the case, I will just buy the new tail lights and swap them out.

There will be a track package that will be equivalent to the old Plaid + improvements on spoiler, HP/TQ, suspension, etc. Maybe then they will also go 4860 in both and bring out the Plaid+ and LR+.

Just uneducated speculation - something I have not posted in a while.

I want my shiny new rolling toy, but I'm also good waiting a little longer for a shake out, some bugs fixed, etc.

Went out agin this morning -- different road, slightly better results. I think I am getting better at the launches and the car is dong everything right, I think the biggest hurdle is the road surface--this was a back road, so rough, uneven and a slight incline. I'll keep looking for better roads.

IMG_33D754C80F9B-1.jpg

A friend who is an EV owner posted this on the Taycan Forum. I think he is a member here too? In any event. Before you read, here here is his perspective:

Multiple Tesla owner (2 Model S, 2 Model X {one lemoned} and Model 3 Performance.
Multiple EV owner (Bolt, Ford, Taycan)
Multiple Porsche owner: (currently a GT3 and a Taycan, but other 911's before)
GT3 Cup car racing expeirience
Has tracked his Model 3 and his Taycan at multiple tracks including Laguna Seca
Drives a Taycan currently.

Spoke to the owner of the race prep shop in NorCal who put Mountain Pass bits on his M3P and also maintained his Cup Car. He posted this in a thread on the Taycan forum where some owners were poo-pooing the Plaid as "another fast Tesla". Here was his download from speaking to the owner of the race shop:

very knowledgable Performance shop owner today reported on his personal experience with Plaid - track driver - champsionship racer - his shop services/tracks every make/model of car you can imagine, and they have deep experience with most brands (including Tesla) - and he is not a Tesla fan even though he’s in silly-con valley - but sees the writing on the wall with EV
  1. fastest car he’s ever driven - mind blowing (his words) - he’s driven everything (including dragster, La Ferarri, Tesla Model S, Taycan, Cup Cars…)
  2. plaid changes things no doubt based on his 45 min test drive - this is a benchmark vehicle for the entire industry
  3. acceleration is unlike any car on the market
  4. steering/suspension ALL new - all better - really really good in his opinion
    1. steering feel excellent (Porsche quality - his words)
    2. suspension - tight, but compliant - excellent ride quality with great balance for stiffness for performance
    3. handling as good as it gets for a car this big - equal to Taycan if not better
    4. because of the dual motors and software in the rear end acceleration through corners is best on the market right now - grip, feel, and split of power given the dual independent motors on the rear end allow this vehicle to handle like nothing else on the market, both at low speeds and high speed cornering - it’s an infinitely variable limited slip differential virtualized in software - this car can do things no other vehicle can do for handling at any speed.
  5. handling light years better than anything on the market (including Taycan which he’s personally a lot of seat time)
  6. software - order of magnitude fast/better/more control and easy to use than previous Tesla software - will once again set a benchmark for the industry to attempt to catch
  7. did I tell you it was quick - mind blowing quick
  8. he spent an hour going over the car exterior and interior - build quality dramtically improved vs. the 100’s of Model 3 and S’s he has inspected/upgraded/experience over the years
  9. brakes - utter crap - and not up the task of a vehicle that can easily accomplish more than 180 mph - OMG they are sooooo bad
    1. he said if they fix the brakes they wil have the BEST 4 door lux sports sedan on the market
    2. you can soo easily drive this car too fast for the brakes to meet you expectations - he predicts people will die because of this - the car is sooooo fast, but you can’t stop it.
  10. Still not a track car, but able to hang with _ANY_ sports sedan on the market and embarass it greatly
  11. The plaid inspected on a mechanical lift shows a complete redesigned suspension and other components…
His Bottom Line: Best 4 door sports sedan on the market - if they fix the brakes there is nothing to complete with it.

Did I tell you he hate’s Tesla and Elon?

lesson here is: the Plaid is not the model S, and bears little if any resemblance to the pit-falls we are all so familiar with the Model S. The exterior may have not changed that much, but the drive train, suspension are all new and better/best across the board…interior fit/finish and materials are also substaintially better in his assessments (his customer base include bentles, aston martins, porsche’s ferrari’s, lambos, audi’s, jags, land rovers etc - he is in good position to recognize build quality and materials)

My impression in the postings on this thread are from people who have no first hand experience with a Plaid…just my $0.02

One should take a wait and see approach and actually evaluate the Plaid product, rather than just assuming it’s a souped up Model S.

Last edited:
Dude, there is ALWAYS going to be something right around the corner with Tesla--pull the trigger and start enjoying the car.

I have contemplated this as well. But a few comments from Omar about enjoying the car now and such has me just getting it and worrying about having better later.

My guess is that they will update the taillights but they will not update the sheet metal due to expense/time. The active spoiler will be a taligate change. If that is the case, I will just buy the new tail lights and swap them out.

There will be a track package that will be equivalent to the old Plaid + improvements on spoiler, HP/TQ, suspension, etc. Maybe then they will also go 4860 in both and bring out the Plaid+ and LR+.

Just uneducated speculation - something I have not posted in a while.

Well - for me - I think the best way to go about buying a Tesla is to make sure the baseline of what you are getting is good enough to keep you happy.

There are a few other things I'm waiting on before deciding:

1. Actual, usable, real-world range of the LR. My model 3 said 325, rarely did I get 200 from an 90-10% charge (should've been closer to 250). So, waiting on someone to get a LR and then do a 100% to 0% hwy driving test to see if "400" is even close.

2. Active Noise Cancelling. Bruh, I bought a car that's had on it's website "active noise cancelling" for nearly 5.5 months. It doesn't work yet? Oh yeah, I'm def not taking delivery. Knowing Tesla - it may literally never work.

3. The rear-end and taillights are ugly as *sugar*. They look so incredibly old and put a damper on the car imo. I'll probably wait until at least the two things above have been addressed and maybe I'd consider taking it with these. But, they look horrible.

Was talking to my brother about this - Tesla is constantly iterating their cars. So there is never a "big" refresh or model years. A change could happen randomly one week and the next round of cars have it.