Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I respectfully disagree. If it's proven by thousands of refresh Tesla MS drivers (and now the industry testers/magazines) that the yoke steering offers virtually little to no benefit (other than it looking "cool" and possibly having a better view of the driver's screen in front), while actually making drive-ability more difficult with less convenient buttons (e.g. the tiny horn button right near your thumb & trying desperately to find the blinker buttons or horn especially when the yoke is turned), then why shouldn't Tesla "do the right thing" and offer a no-cost swap? It's a bit unprofessional and hokey just to be different and change something that's proven for decades to work well and be safer than any alternative design.
You may be correct, but why are so many (not just you) complaining about the yoke, ANC, tilt screen, etc. when you don't even have the car yet and are just speculating about what features you will not like or do not have?? 🙄

Now that they apparently auto-converted my Plaid+ reservation, which one to keep? :)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-06-17 at 4.55.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-17 at 4.55.26 PM.png
    164.8 KB · Views: 59
They aren't using it for that purpose, at least. In Model 3 it appears to be enabled, but it may only increase nags (for now). There are some videos of people testing it on Twitter at least and it appears to not like it when you stop paying attention. It's a bit unclear exactly how much it is used.

Turns out there are IR illuminators hidden behind the plastic, too! (This was discussed in the driving automation area.) So a very capable implementation which will not require other illumination to function. (This should be expected since driver monitoring is required in the EU going forward, and it has to work at night of course.)

I assume that these are not visible to the eye at night or anything, of course. They're well hidden!
I plan to cover mine up immediately. Treating it just like a laptop camera.

You may be correct, but why are so many (not just you) complaining about the yoke, ANC, tilt screen, etc. when you don't even have the car yet and are just speculating about what features you will not like or do not have?? 🙄

Because no-one at Tesla to talk to, no access to a showroom car, and not much else to do? Just a guess...

I am open to waiting to reserve judgment on the whole yoke experience, and I definitely agree with you that a lot of the complaints on this forum seem premature. However, I don’t really think it is fair to include the yoke in the same basket as ANC and the tilt screen. The yoke is the main driver input for controlling the car, while the other two are merely unnecessary conveniences. They are nice to have, but don’t significantly alter the driving experience. Furthermore, the other two issues people are complaining about will very likely be resolved via an OTA update. This is certainly not the case with the yoke.

There is enough anecdotal evidence out there from YouTube videos and automotive journalists to show that the Yoke is a hinderance to the driving process. Enough to at least make one question not only the reasoning behind the decision, but the solution to a problem that seems very real.

I don’t want to complain about something I haven’t experienced yet, but I would like to know that it will be possible to resolve this issue, if I can’t adjust to the new driving experience.

I am open to waiting to reserve judgment on the whole yoke experience, and I definitely agree with you that a lot of the complaints on this forum seem premature. However, I don’t really think it is fair to include the yoke in the same basket as ANC and the tilt screen. The yoke is the main driver input for controlling the car, while the other two are merely unnecessary conveniences. They are nice to have, but don’t significantly alter the driving experience. Furthermore, the other two issues people are complaining about will very likely be resolved via an OTA update. This is certainly not the case with the yoke.

There is enough anecdotal evidence out there from YouTube videos and automotive journalists to show that the Yoke is a hinderance to the driving process. Enough to at least make one question not only the reasoning behind the decision, but the solution to a problem that seems very real.

I don’t want to complain about something I haven’t experienced yet, but I would like to know that it will be possible to resolve this issue, if I can’t adjust to the new driving experience.

The truth is quite the contrary...

A few different people whining how a new steering mechanism doesn't feel second nature, like the wheel they've been using for decades, after a couple of hours in the car. You'll get used to it after a couple of weeks, max.

On the flip side, ANC and screen tilt were features sold since the beginning and do not work but at least one is still listed as a feature of the car.

I'm only partially being sarcastic.

That's fair, but I'm sure you're also taking into consideration the real world experience with the Yoke by our own @omarsultan and @Atomadam? That carries much more weight with me than YouTubers and magazine writers.

The truth is quite the contrary...

A few different people whining how a new steering mechanism doesn't feel second nature, like the wheel they've been using for decades, after a couple of hours in the car. You'll get used to it after a couple of weeks, max.

On the flip side, ANC and screen tilt were features sold since the beginning and do not work but at least one is still listed as a feature of the car.

I'm only partially being sarcastic.
I hope you are correct in your assessment that I will feel just as comfortable behind the yoke after a couple of weeks. I have seen nothing to suggest that this is the case, but I will keep telling myself the yoke is going to be great because @Tigers said it was so.

I hope you are correct in your assessment that I will feel just as comfortable behind the yoke after a couple of weeks. I have seen nothing to suggest that this is the case, but I will keep telling myself the yoke is going to be great because @Tigers said it was so.

No one has even had the car two weeks bro. Omar said he was getting more and more used to it, and a couple of mags/racecar people said they didn't like it after a couple hours of testing. But, I'm not allowed to bitch about ANC functionality? psh..................

OK what a roller-coaster. My rep returned my voicemail and said he had met with his managers and is getting me flipped from CF to wood after all and I should get delivery within a few weeks.

He also said blank means August right now.
If blank means August, blank means I cancel, given the fact that the person who reached out directly and asked me to convert from Plaid+ said "two weeks" about two weeks ago and said "end of june" two hours ago.

And to clarify why - I'm excited about the new S, and would love to get one soon, so I'm willing to buy a Plaid that has speed I don't really need at all. for a huge premium because I'm excited. However if I have to wait quite a while, I'll get the LR and save my $50k.