Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I paid upfront because I bet the cars at the event would be as good as they are going to get.

You can do the Plaid thing at the store once you inspect the vehicle--log into your bank via Plaid and transfer the funds once you are satisfied. I was not sure if I was gong to get my VIN in time to do the wire transfer, but the guy I chatted with assured my I could pay by personal check--I assume they just pull the routing and account numbers of the check and initiate a funds verification/transfer.
What is this Plaid thing? Is there a way to transfer the funds on the Tesla website from within your account?

Took delivery of my Plaid yesterday. It's absolutely amazing. So happy with my purchase. It's an engineering marvel and work of art at the same time.

I'm actually enjoying the yoke. It's just really fun. The turn signals as buttons is taking a some getting used to though.

My one gripe is that Tesla apparently did away with the option to turn creep on. I had not seen that reported on the forum yet, but maybe I just missed it.
Congratulations on your car!!!!

Did you have a CF interior or Wood?

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
What is this Plaid thing? Is there a way to transfer the funds on the Tesla website from within your account?

Think of Zello or Venmo or various other cash / payment app out there. Plaid could be the back end of it to make the payments happen. But they also have their own direct service.

Last edited:

Think of Zello or Venmo or any other cash / payment app out there. Plaid is the back end of it. But they also have their own direct service.

tldr:
Plaid acts as an intermediary between apps (like Venmo) and your bank so that you can log in and share data securely.

As more and more personal finance apps (think Robinhood, Venmo, Current, etc.) pop up, developers need ways to connect to and access your bank accounts
That connection is notoriously difficult - each bank has its own idiosyncratic APIs, legacy architectures, and ugly UX
Plaid provides a connection layer for developers to easily connect to and work with bank accounts, and a simple UI for users like you to log in
While the product might sound really simple and easy to understand, there’s a lot of hard work going on behind the scenes that enables that smooth experience. And the company is in the news - after a $5B acquisition by Visa got blocked by the DOJ, they’re independent again and ready to grow.

Justin, why are you writing about Fintech? What do you know?

Well, I know nothing about anything, this included. But given that Plaid’s users (those who build with Plaid’s APIs) are developers, it deserves an explanation!

Well they have now escalated my car issue to the leadership team (whoever they might be). I just want a firm date and delivery. I am still showing it in my account for 2:01 today. Lol. But the car hasn’t left freemont yet. Could not believe the communication could get any worst than the past 6 months, but Tesla managed to surpass it.

I posted this on LR thread. Does anyone here know who or what the Leadership Team is?

Think of Zello or Venmo or various other cash / payment app out there. Plaid could be the back end of it to make the payments happen. But they also have their own direct service.
I'd already found that but it's as clear as mud (and I'm an IT guy). I don't see any app for it in the Apple store.

I'd already found that but it's as clear as mud (and I'm an IT guy). I don't see any app for it in the Apple store.
So, having never go through it myself, my assumption is that you will just be prompted for a ACH or EFT transfer screen. And people referring to "Plaid" is just the service that Tesla uses to facilitate that transfer.

Wave from a fellow IT guy.

Plaid is a 3rd-party payment processor that allows ACH transfers between accounts. When you get the email that final payment is due, access to Plaid is enabled. Folks, including me (do not like it because you are giving them you banking credentials). In my case, I initiated a wire transfer from Schwab to Tesla--wire and check instructions are on the last page of your MVPA.

Does anyone know how long prior to delivery the app for the car activates? I am taking delivery in less than 2 hours and App doesn’t show the car yet.
From what I have been reading, it will not "activate" in the app until you are there for pickup and process all the delivery steps. Then Tesla "releases" the car for you to use the app.

FINALLY!!!!

P1040295.JPG

And I'm a few blocks from the pickup, they said they needed about an hour to finish detailing (I was 3 hours early due to a safety factor in my flight schedule). Will have it soon. Enjoying some German libations to kill time.

View attachment 679322
What a great day! Congrats and be sure to send us those RED PLAID photos (inside and out). Have fun 😎