Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a neighbor who has all sort of exotics like McLarens, Lambos, and AMGs, and I kinda like the fact my family sedan could beat them all.
I want to know how those manufacturers are going to address the fact that their cars are slower than a less expensive sedan. Do they have a plan? Will they and their fans ignore it? What happens when they keep being bullied by Teslas at stoplights and on random stretches of highway?

I wouldn’t want to be any of those manufacturers.

I test drove a pre-refresh model S and one of the screens gave me the option on the regen brakes to change it to moderate in order for
The car not to be jerky
When you take foot off accelerator.

Is there a similar option on the refreshed model? I have not finished reading the manual yet and find the “search” in the electronic manual in my car is not always showing what I need

Decided to check once today and waited until tonight instead of morning after the gym. Surprise! Delivery date has been gone since late May and now back with July 9-16. I think I’ll wait for a VIN and then accept the excitement

LR MSM Black/Black 21” FSD. Order March 11th
You have the perfect configuration for them to deliver literally right now so you'll definitely get it within days. Imagine ordering white interior, CF or tempest wheels lol

I want to know how those manufacturers are going to address the fact that their cars are slower than a less expensive sedan. Do they have a plan? Will they and their fans ignore it? What happens when they keep betting bullied by Teslas at stoplights and on random stretches of highway?

I think they will try to switch the narrative to be about handling and how their cars do on the track and try and move the focus away from simple, straight line acceleration. Not my areas of expertise, but I think the Plaid had the makings of a pretty damn good track car (maybe with a brake upgrade), which is why I am looking forward to folks like @lolachampcar getting their cars so we can get some insights on what the handling limits look like for the new chassis.

I test drove a pre-refresh model S and one of the screens gave me the option on the regen brakes to change it to moderate in order for
The car not to be jerky

Is there a similar option on the refreshed model? I have not finished reading the manual yet and find the “search” in the electronic manual in my car is not always showing what I need
Unfortunately, it hasn't been adjustable in Teslas for a while now; and the Model S also (for the time being) is locked in 1 pedal drive mode.

Reactions: EVonly
I want to know how those manufacturers are going to address the fact that their cars are slower than a less expensive sedan. Do they have a plan? Will they and their fans ignore it? What happens when they keep being bullied by Teslas at stoplights and on random stretches of highway?

I think most people buying sedans do not
Have speed at the top of their priority list. I don’t and that’s why I bought LR

The car not to be jerky

I think at this point, Tesla has pulled the low regen option of all cars.

I think they will try to switch the narrative to be about handling and how their cars do on the track and try and move the focus away from simple, straight line acceleration. Not my areas of expertise, but I think the Plaid had the makings of a pretty damn good track car (maybe with a brake upgrade), which is why I am looking forward to folks like @lolachampcar getting their cars so we can get some insights on what the handling limits look like for the new chassis.
That’s a good point.

I didn’t weigh in on the brakes, but I also agree with the folks who say they are insufficient. I understand this is a much heartier car than my m3p, but it feels ridiculously under-braked. That may be pedal feel and I haven’t tried to do maximum braking, but I was left wanting more when slowing down after a bit of launch playing.

I honestly think their best defense is to lobby for regulation. It only takes the first couple of idiots crashing on public streets to make an argument that an affordable sedan should not do these kinds of speeds. They regulated muscle cars in the 70's when things started getting out of hand. You could see the same thing happen to EV's with so many ICE manufacturers having a vested interest in seeing it happen.

I really wish I could afford a Plaid, because I believe that if regulations get involved, 20 years from now people will still be talking about that time a 2 second family sedan hit the market and changed everything.

Well maybe because this is the delivery thread so those people now go to the howto thread.
I keep coming back to delivery thread because it is automatic for me to come here after
Checking this thread 20 times per
Day for 6 months.
And I really do enjoy the people on this thread. I don’t want to make anyone feel like an abandoned child
Yea, Tesla makes us feel that way as is, so thank you for not doing that 😅

I honestly think their best defense is to lobby for regulation. It only takes the first couple of idiots crashing on public streets to make an argument that an affordable sedan should not do these kinds of speeds. They regulated muscle cars in the 70's when things started getting out of hand. You could see the same thing happen to EV's with so many ICE manufacturers having a vested interest in seeing it happen.

I really wish I could afford a Plaid, because I believe that if regulations get involved, 20 years from now people will still be talking about that time a 2 second family sedan hit the market and changed everything.
I don't know if the Plaid would cause this, because P90D the P100D were and are completely insanely fast even today, not to mention in 2016. No one had ever seen a sedan move that fast, especially with the instant response that an EV delivers.
The Roadster on the other hand, that one they need to be extremely careful with. I'm hoping and praying that the SpaceX package is optional. If not, then I really hope that Tesla can software lock the *sugar* out of it, so that it's only use strictly on a track, and not public roads.

I don’t believe the Federal government was involved in regulating muscle cars in the 70s, at least not in any way that was specific to their horsepower. What killed muscle cars in the 70s was emissions regulations, which choked cars of every type. The reduction of horsepower was incidental. Insurance companies also piled on with the death blow for cars that had “performance” abilities that made owning one a pricier proposition than it had been when John Z dropped his first big block V8 into the Pontiac Tempest and birthed the GTO.

Additionally, they are the ones trying to make equally fast cars. Even Dodge is planning on *attempting* build something to beat the Plaid.

Last edited:
Reactions: HumanInput
I don’t believe the Federal government was involved in regulating muscle cars in the 70s, at least not in any way that was specific to their horsepower. What killed muscle cars in the 70s was emissions regulations, which choked cars of every type. The reduction of horsepower was incidental. Insurance companies also piled on with the death blow for cars that had “performance” abilities that made owning one a pricier proposition than it had been when John Z dropped his first big block V8 into the Pontiac Tempest and birthed the GTO.
Exactly correct! The EPA's changing fuel economy rules resulted in choked up engines, and so they made less power.