Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I find it interesting the interest people have in why others choose as they do. We are all different. I would not pretend to know why one person would pick a Plaid while another picked LR unless they told me. Some have posted that it is a value consideration while others are interested in here to now not available performance/tech. All make perfect sense but why all the speculation on people's motivations?
I think some plaid buyers like to rationalize why the extra 40k was worth it. No need. If you want the faster car just buy it. No need to compare it to LR just to make someone Feel better about their choice. The plaid is faster and more exotic. Of course. That is why some people bought it and why other bought LR instead.

@2021plaid......Brooks just said on youtube that his best 0-60 so far in the street is 2.04 seconds

He also said that he does not think the car can get into the 8's without weight reduction and needs to be trapping 156 mph. I have nor given up on my 155 mph yet... 😁
Whoa! 2.04 is great!
I agree with Brooks here, the Plaid in its current form won't do 8s. It's going to need lighter wheels, and more power to accomplish those numbers in stock guise. Now as to whether or not that 'current form' will be the same 3-4 months from now is the question. BTW, where did he say this on YT?

that GTR sounded heavily modded as well. by the time it got to it's power band Plaid was GONE

@sflgator was that your old car? 😁
Close yes...likely also a full-bolt on...probably custom tuned with exhaust, possibly running on e85. If so, ~ 700 HP/TQ. Just realized my old GT-R would get demolished by the MS Plaid by about 10 car lengths in the 1/4 mi, lol! 😜 😜:oops:

$4,500 for a set of rims, that's a decent pure profit after materials and fluff of the EOQ earnings. Think about delivering 1,890 cars with those rims (since we suspect they didn't produce any MX). That's $8,505,000 more for paper reasons. I could 100% see that as a business reason. Same as the "lack of" "free" white paint. That $1,500 MSM mark up will yield them $2,835,000 adding up to the total of $11,430,000.

I'm sure no one believes that it costs $1,500 more to get different color paint or that it costs $4,500 more to manufacture Arachnids (even if the Arachnids cost $4,500 you would still have to subtract the worth of the 19 inch rims because you're not getting both sets and 19s are included in the car price.)

How about the 10k people pay for full self driving that does not drive itself and possibly never will.

Whoa! 2.04 is great!
I agree with Brooks here, the Plaid in its current form won't do 8s. It's going to need lighter wheels, and more power to accomplish those numbers in stock guise. Now as to whether or not that 'current form' will be the same 3-4 months from now is the question. BTW, where did he say this on YT?
He posted the new 0-60 video on youtube. And he had a bunch of responses to questions where he shared more detail.

I think some plaid buyers like to rationalize why the extra 40k was worth it. No need. If you want the faster car just buy it. No need to compare it to LR just to make someone Feel better about their choice. The plaid is faster and more exotic. Of course. That is why some people bought it and why other bought LR instead.
Precisely my thoughts! It's just that people seem to be constantly putting down the Plaid, and making it seem as if the Plaid owners are idiots for choosing the faster car. Even though that may not be their intention, that's the message they send, and it can get extremely irritating. :)

Precisely my thoughts! It's just that people seem to be constantly putting down the Plaid, and making it seem as if the Plaid owners are idiots for choosing the faster car. Even though that may not be their intention, that's the message they send, and it can get extremely irritating. :)
No, they are saying the LR is the better choice for them. That's either true, or they cannot afford the Plaid. Either way, if any Plaid buyers are taking offense, they need too much validation for their choice as well.

no rationality really just:

1290F492-60F4-4455-B1B2-019581827823.gif

My car went to *sugar* tonight. Driving and computer crashed. Came back up with all settings back to factory. Navigation doesn’t work, says it needs an update. No streaming, no app connection. Even on WiFi nothing works. 3rd update to my existing, and 2nd, service order. The software on these cars, and the subsequent cars themselves, are not ready for driving. Computer crashing while driving was fine for me, but a newer owner might not know what to do.
So since this is my first Tesla (if it ever gets here), what do I do if this happens to me?

The lack of 19s always smacked of a “business reason” for a variety of reasons. What, they forgot to order them, no. They changed the color of the aero cover at the last minute and needed to order new wheels? No, what were they going to do, trash the tens of thousands of original wheels?

Did you get any indication of when 19s might ship? They can’t hold off all Q3, probably don’t have enough orders for just that and at some point the risk of losing $80k-$130k sales units outweigh the incremental profit on Arachnids.
Pure speculation on my part but what if Tesla hasn't been able to achieve good results in acceleration and handling with the Tempest wheels and is now processing whether it's even worth it selling the car with 19" wheels. I hope I'm wrong 😕

No, they are saying the LR is the better choice for them. That's either true, or they cannot afford the Plaid. Either way, if any Plaid buyers are taking offense, they need too much validation for their choice as well.
Many people are also saying that the Plaid is the better choice for them; but somehow, no LR owners ever get criticized, just the Plaid owners.🤷‍♂️ Certain people say in a nutshell, "I can't believe you spent all of that extra money for just one more motor," when in reality the difference between the cars is much bigger. In some cases, the Plaid owners are actually enthusiastically talking about the LR, such as @Aleks0404, and @Drew-MS. These people are actually rooting for the LR, and yet they have Plaids on order. So why is there a difference in treatment of the Plaid owners?

(BTW @AnselmDante, absolutely nothing against you at all.:) You've actually always been very reasonable when it comes to comparing the two.)

(Disclaimer: I know that not ALL of the LR owners are like this. Therefore I'm not saying all of them are this way towards Plaid owners.)

Last edited:
I experienced a slow cheetah stance launch in the LR today. Most of my runs have been in the low 3’s, but I had one launch today that just felt really slow. I looked down at the Dragy results and couldn’t believe my eyes.

View attachment 682419
So it turns out neither Plaid nor the LR is truly "robotic" in mimicking the 0-60 times lol I am certain the test units are software uncorked to full performance. I hope I'm wrong in this case but believe me I could tell the difference between the test drive Model 3 performance and my own M3P that I bought after experiencing the performance of the test drive unit. My M3P fell a little bit short in comparison to the test drive unit at SC.

• Disagree
Reactions: lbowroom
I talked to a local guy today who put his msm/cream/ wood /21s order 3 weeks ago and is picking up his plaid this weekend in ca. 😩
I met a LR owner at supercharger today. He picked up his car at Cincy SC after placing an order in June. It was MSM with black interior and 21" wheels so the textbook formula to get your car earlier 😂
He said he was very happy with the car. Yoke looked bigger in real life than in videos lol I only got to stare at it