Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I could not have said it better if I tried. For the record, remember that I actually don't have an order in for either. This is just something that I have seen on the forum since Day 1 of coming here, and it was really getting on my nerves. Again, beautifully put my friend! :)
Wait, you mean to tell me you share our pain voluntary?! 😅

• Love
Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Because as a general rule, people like to punch up rather than down. A lot of LR buyers simply cannot afford a Plaid, so they are mocking the extra cost as means of coping with what they cannot have. Plaid buyers have no reason to do the same about a clearly inferior performance car. If they do, they are not compensating, they are just shitty people. Either way, anyone who is offended by the other group of buyers comments clearly are not comfortable with their decision, and they need too much validation.

I am one of those people that cannot afford a Plaid, but you'll never see me mocking the ones who can. I whine to my wife about how much I would love to have the Plaid, a car that I truly believe will be looked upon 10 years from now as a pivotal moment in performance vehicles. At the end of the day, I know a 3 second 0-60 is twice as fast as my last performance car, and will be more than enough to thrill me when I drive, so the LR is what I am getting. I made my choice long before I came to these forums, and it is based on my needs, circumstances, and means. No ones opinion here will affect my choice, or how I feel about it. It's too bad not everyone is as comfortable with their own choices.
I remember my order of the P85 in June of 14. I had sold my corvette convertible and Pontiac G8 GXP. Ordering the car from California since Arizona didn't allow it my sales rep said, do you really need to spend the $12,000 extra to get the performance model? I said she was right so went with the regular 85. My wife came in the room and asked what I had done. I told I ordered the car. Asking which model I told here and her comment was, "The first thing out of your mouth will be I should have ordered the P, you will never be happy". Guess that is what marrying your best friend does .. I ordered the P and have never been happier. I could not afford the extra cash since I bought TSLA stock months before and was upside down $40,000. Patience won out as my 250 shares at $278 are now worth almost $900,000. I took a lot of ribbing when it was down but stuck with it and now it has bought me another Tesla.

I think the 19’s aren’t being delivered because somethings wrong with them or the way they perform. There seems to be hundreds in the Temp lot. And $4500 extra for 21’s being a business decision…nah….red paint is worth 2500 and cream interior 2K. That’s $4500 extra. If those silver wheels were good, I would take mine and powder coat them the color i want. And those hub caps, don’t care what color they are, I could never drive the S with those Fugly caps. IMO. rant off

I think the 19’s aren’t being delivered because somethings wrong with them or the way they perform. There seems to be hundreds in the Temp lot. And $4500 extra for 21’s being a business decision…nah….red paint is worth 2500 and cream interior 2K. That’s $4500 extra. If those silver wheels were good, I would take mine and powder coat them the color i want. And those hub caps, don’t care what color they are, I could never drive the S with those Fugly caps. IMO. rant off

Because they have to make all of them black now. Oooof

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Here’s my take on Plaid vs. LR. I’m 67 years old. I drive like the old man that I am. If I was 35 I’d buy the Plaid. It is a trailblazing car. But it would be a waste of money at my age. I’m not going to challenge anyone to a race - not even another old guy.

I’m buying the LR for the range and the charging network. And I like being green.
Although I agree with your sentiment, it must be a regional thing. Here in South Florida, I quite often see older men in their 60’s-70’s racing around in hot rods (many looking for some fun challenges) so to speak…Porsches, Vettes, Ferraris, MB AMGs, BMW Ms, Dodge SRTs, Cadillac CTS-Vs, Teslas, etc. We have a lot of Northeastern transplants here in S FL and they all seem to always try to outdo each other. Kind of sad actually. Me? I’m 52 so not quite there yet but I just like fast sports cars! I could care less what other people have; I’m happy for them if they’re enjoying their rides no matter their age. 😉😎

Last edited:
I wonder a few things about the Unplugged Performance car....

Are they able to turn down or turn off traction control for the races.. if so I wonder how..

Are they able to reduce or remove the braking re-gen, again I wonder how?

I noticed they run Advanced Suspension mode with everything lowest and full firm.. I wonder if a "Track Mode" will eventually be released which would have less traction contron interference programmed in..

I do like their upgraded cross drilled rotors.. I plan to upgrade to Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF Brake Fluid, Cross Drilled Rotors and Upgraded Pads (Do this on all my cars).. Then I feel more confident with the 1020hp :)

I also plan to run a bigger rear sway bar (Unplugged does this as well).. I read in the MotorTrend they said in stock form it still leans a lot.. I noticed Unplugged didnt change the front sway bar.. Ill prob inquire with them on this..

Other mods im considering is flushing the battery coolant with a 30% Coolant / 70% Distilled water + Purple Ice to enahnce battery cooling, may give me a slight edge power wise.. I run this combo on many cars and motorcycles and I can verify ive seen big temp drops esp on my bike which use to overheat in La traffic.. Any thoughts?

Unplugged also taped up the panel gaps on the rear diffuser, so I may do something similar with some epoxy.. I really like the Spoiler lip on the Blue Plaid + spy videos on the nurburgring. I may add a similar spoiler with more downforce, im quite happy with the OEM new front bumper..

Suspension wise, im considering adding the adjustable rear arms and dial in a proper street/track alignment.. I like to run around -2.2 degree front camber with the toe out 1/16 total and around -1.7 degrees rear with 1/8th total toe in.. Its a common setup thats the best of both worlds..

Looking forward to the Track pack coming, some ultra light wheels.. This car will then be street/track ready the way I like..

Anyone else got any tips or tricks up their sleeve to squeeze a little more performance out of her?
Funny coincidence, I actually spoke to @UnpluggedP just this morning about their Plaid program.

I couldn’t get a hold of Ben (he still owes me a mn email response) but David mentioned it’s still early days for them, as a lot of the car has change from previous years. Completely new suspension, apparently.

UP doesn’t have a brake setup for it yet but are working on suspension components: new shocks for the air suspension, and adjustable control arms.

@Rambino let me know what you’re able to gather from them, and let’s stay in touch about this stuff!

Meh! I hope they aren't. I'm definitely speculating here, however, considering how many changes can be activated/deactivated via software I won't be surprised if Tesla does keep a test drive firmware for these units 😂
They’re actually going to spy on you (and then turn on/off your s/w features and may even lower your car’s power), but only you dude, lol! 🤔😳😜

Last edited:
Absolutely true for most people. However, there is a certain group of people, to name a few: @AMGF, @TorqueMonster, @Drew-MS, @Aleks0404, etc..., that do give a crap about 'all that'. These members aren't buying the Plaid because it's 'the best of the best' or something like that; instead, they see the value of the marvel of engineering that is the Plaid Model S. I truly believe that the Plaid will be remembered as the car that changed the direction of the auto-industry with its advancements in motor technology. That alone makes it unique, along with the fact that it's the EV that finally smacks down ICE with its superior power curve. Now EVs can make both instant power and torque, AND keep that power up to top speed, w/o having any power loss due to a transmission! Nothing that an ICE can do can even come close! Yes, it's quite a bit more expensive than a LR, but look at what we are talking about here: we're talking about a car that is literally hypercar-beating, for 1/10 of the hypercar price! This is a monumental step in EVs people, and we will remember it!😎

(Nothing at all against the LR BTW, as I find it both amazing and awesome that the 'base' Model S has gotten this powerful, and this fast.)
I’m buying the plaid simply because it’s the faster production car on the planet. That simple. I do not have three lives like in Asteroids. I’m using this 1, for enjoyment.

Day 5 for MSLR. LOVE MY CAR !! Some good stuff so far: 👍
  • Great driving through suburbia, crowded LA streets, freeways and mountain roads so far. Not going for speed but loving having that acceleration when needed.
  • No problem programming 2 garage doors on Homelink
  • Dashcam worked with a verbal command of "Launch Dashcam Viewer." It doesn't always understand my husband's voice tho
  • I REALLY like the FSD lane changes on SoCal freeways!
  • Nerdy me --> the 9:3 hand position are my standard so yoke feels awesome, and yes easy 1-hand driving with hand on center console. Also, I don't miss the stalks at all! Having buttons on the yoke felt normal from the get go
BUT - some worries: 👎
  • Small passenger door alignment issues noted at acceptance to be fixed later
  • Trunk gap looked okay at acceptance, but slipped on Day 2. Now only closes with manual hold at the end. Not going to be able to use it until service in a few weeks (next available appointment time)
  • Today with icky message after parking in garage - "Parking brake functions degraded - Parking brake may not apply or release" and "Automatic vehicle hold disabled - Use brake pedal when stopping." I put car back on, nudged forward/backward a bit and the alerts went off. But still not happy to see that come up.
Has anyone else had error messages with brakes??
Need to know my car will stop when I need it to...